World Heritage Landscape Gwynedd.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: World Heritage Landscape Gwynedd.

Post by Jdsk »

Hellhound wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:30amAbandoned tin mines in Cornwall,Lime kilns dotted all over the Yorkshire Dales,converted cotton mills in Lancashire etc,etc.
And the rise and fall of industry in my favourite part of England, the Lakes.

It's great to see this award stimulating discussion and interest.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Went down many pits in my Engineering career. 40% of what we manufactured went to pits, open cast sites and various sorts of mines all over the world. But, women werent allowed down pits so when we had a few days break at Hebden Bridge I went with the Mrs to a tourist pit up there. We went down in the cage and chipped at the coal face gided by retired miners. From my schooldays I went down Tilmanstone colliery in Kent. Very narrow seams there like many Welsh pits.

Just after the war we used to go and stay at Trewarmit in Cornwall for a fortnight at Trebarwith Strand and old Grandfur used to take me to his slate quarry which was then working. It was fascinating watching the slate being split with hammer and chisel then sized and edged on machines that resembled large lawnmower rotors. All gone now I guess...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

When I was a Boy Scout we camped in Bethesda.
We visited Penrhyn Quarry where slates were still being produced. I was fascinated by the splitting, and awed by the size of the hole.
I have since slated a roof and learned the techniques of cutting etc.
I have helped take off a much older slate roof too. The old techniques were revealed. The slates diminished in size towards the ridge.
The fastening were so rotten that most slates could be lifted off.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:34am There is a National Coal Mining Museum
https://www.ncm.org.uk/
Quite good it is too!
So is the Black Country museum in Dudley.

One of the disused Quarries in Hope,Derbyshire,Pindale is now a SSSI.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The coal mine I went down with my Mrs was Overton near Wakefield.
During my life I worked in all sorts of industries and was able to visit all sorts of places in the course of my work. Hiring and working in the 25 foot Wind Tunnel at the RAE (now listed apparently). Meeting the guy who was responsible for Military uniforms, Busbys, breastplates and troopers boots. Being the subject of lavicious comments in Irvings parachute factory. Visiting Birminghams Mint and the nearby school of jewelry. Printing the Maharishi Yogis World News. Working on Concorde , Bloodhound, the P1127 and the Olympus 593. Watching bungies being clad in woven cotton thread on a water powered knitting machine. Rescuing outdated potentially dangerous machinery in a Nuclear Power Station. Watching Chinese workers heat their bathwater in an aluminium foundry. And much more. Great fun and always interesting to be an Engineer.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The High Court has squashed the Transport Secretary’s approval of the plans to build the tunnel at Stonehenge.

A victory for the local people.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's unlawful decision by the SoS? Overturned at judicial review?

Anything on remedy?

Edited: found it:
https://www.judiciary.uk/judgments/save ... transport/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2021-10-08 at 07.44.04.png

The 20 applicants to be UK City of Culture 2025:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/reco ... 2025-title

And now reduced to 8:
"Following a record 20 bids, the eight longlisted locations are Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon, Bradford, Cornwall, County Durham, Derby, Southampton, Stirling and Wrexham County Borough."
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-c ... t-revealed

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Hellhound wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 11:24am
thirdcrank wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:34am There is a National Coal Mining Museum
https://www.ncm.org.uk/
Quite good it is too!
So is the Black Country museum in Dudley.

One of the disused Quarries in Hope,Derbyshire,Pindale is now a SSSI.
There's a huge amount of lead mining evidence in the North Pennines, including the stone structures which were for access to the vertical seams or draining of the horizontal shafts; and flues which stretched for miles to disperse toxic gases in processing.

But mainly it's spoil heaps that can be seen everywhere but which the unknowing eye doesn't see. It's the apocryphal story of the visitor saying 'There used to be 5,000 people working here at mine but you can't see anything now' - whilst surrounded by re-vegetating spoil heaps.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Coal mining.
I worked in a coal mine for 16 years first as a haulage hand,as a faceworker,as a tunneling worker and finally as a Colliery Deputy.
I was brought up in a mining family my father and two bothers were miners,in a mining village(Platt Bridge Nr Wigan)which was surrounded by slag heaps and old winding gear from a bygone era where the various mines had been worked out*.
Thankfully all the old slag tips and winding gear around the Wigan area are now flattened and the land either built on or turned into country parks for recreation.
A huge improvement on the horrid and filthy place I was brought up in with a filthy polluted canal and rivers that ran through it.

*Wigan was the most mined area in Europe.

Slate mining
We visit North Wales on a regular basis,in the past cycling there and now either motorcycling or in the car,we were in Bala today as a matter of fact.
The slate slag heaps are are terrible eyesore with the worst across the valley opposite Llanberis,but there are many others scattered around the North Wales area some small others as large as the Llanberis eyesore.
World heritage my ar*e,they are disgusting scars on the landscape of what is the most beautiful part of our country IMO.

Of course the capitalists who made a great deal of profit out of those places are long gone with the many millions of £££s flapping out of their back pockets and a disgrace left in their wake.
Those morons and profiteers should have been made to leave those places as they found them,but people who made the mess were the same people who ran the country then and still run the country today!

Rant over.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oldjohnw wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 9:10am As has been pointed out, the UNESCO criteria is not limited to beautiful landscapes or fine buildings. Slate mining in Wales was a world leading industry, however much we now consider it blights the land.
It's a beautiful landscape IMHO. So much to see and interesting things. Much more in interesting than a load of old stones leaning against each other in a circle! Mind you it's give the whole of lake district mining world heritage status if it was up to me. Mind you I do like old mining landscapes. Indeed old industrial estates of all kinds. I'd quite like to do a tour of important stone, bronze and Iron age sites around the UK. Orne head, langdales stone age quarry, is it grimes pits, etc.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 8:02pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 9:10am As has been pointed out, the UNESCO criteria is not limited to beautiful landscapes or fine buildings. Slate mining in Wales was a world leading industry, however much we now consider it blights the land.
It's a beautiful landscape IMHO. So much to see and interesting things. Much more in interesting than a load of old stones leaning against each other in a circle! Mind you it's give the whole of lake district mining world heritage status if it was up to me. Mind you I do like old mining landscapes. Indeed old industrial estates of all kinds. I'd quite like to do a tour of important stone, bronze and Iron age sites around the UK. Orne head, langdales stone age quarry, is it grimes pits, etc.
What would you call the slate slag heaps opposite Llanberis?
What would you have called the pit slag heaps around the Wigan coal fields?

The first time I went to Llanberis and looked across Llyn Padern I said to myself "who did that?" And not in an appreciative way either

May I remind you that 'old stones leaning against other in a circle' such as Avebury and many others,along with tombs such West Kennet long barrow were the most sacred sites to our ancestors and IMHO overall get nowhere near the recognition,attention and protection they deserve from our heritage organisations and charities.

EDIT:- To my mind awarding slag heaps any kind of heritage is IMHO perverse.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 8:20pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 8:02pm
What would you call the slate slag heaps opposite Llanberis?
What would you have called the pit slag heaps around the Wigan coal fields?

The first time I went to Llanberis and looked across Llyn Padern I said to myself "who did that?" And not in an appreciative way either

May I remind you that 'old stones leaning against other in a circle' such as Avebury and many others,along with tombs such West Kennet long barrow were the most sacred sites to our ancestors and IMHO overall get nowhere near the recognition,attention and protection they deserve from our heritage organisations and charities.

EDIT:- To my mind awarding slag heaps any kind of heritage is IMHO perverse.
Time has seen most slag heaps removed, and old industrial sites greened over. So those remaining are sometimes seen in a different light. In Wales, a place formerly blighted by an excess of slag heaps, the slate industry sites are now viewed with pride and nostalgia. Landscaping over them would be seen as sacrilege. That is helped by the fact that nature has moved back in and softened the appearance with vegetation. If you travel around north Wales these days the slate workings don't dominate the whole region. They are isolated features that you encounter now and then, as a reminder that a quiet corner of a very scenic region was once different. You will find similar former industrial sites, with their scars, in the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales. And they make the story of those places a bit more interesting. I am glad those dirty industries are gone, but I am also glad we have hung on to a few visible scars to make the telling of the story easier.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I, too, am glad these industries have gone. But it would, I suggest, be wrong to pretend they never existed by making all trace disappear.
John