Electric everything.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Electric everything.

Post by Jdsk »

Similar to the above:

* Technological compatibility is looking OK.
* Permission and payment needs to allow and promote access.

But I wouldn't like to see standardisation get in the way of innovations that are driven by competition.

And I have no problem with major interventions by government.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I walked through some roadworks yesterday which turned out to be:

"Works to power UK’s largest public EV charging superhub set to begin":
https://theoxfordmagazine.com/news/work ... -to-begin/

38 chargers at a Park and Ride. And a new supply to a bus depot.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

38 chargers at a park and ride - sounds great, that’s the kind of place that would greatly benefit from a large number of slow chargers (7kW) I reckon - after all, you’ll be parked there a while.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It says "All makes and models of EVs will be able to charge at the highest rates possible simultaneously.". I don't know if any more details are available. And Tesla are involved in the project so that statement might be true!

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Highest possible…, for the car, or for the chargers?

For the cars.

Their YT video is quite good, one of the tesla, one of the covered and two of the other chargers are accessible spaces.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 7:40am I walked through some roadworks yesterday which turned out to be:

Jonathan
This is the kind of thing that should be happening everywhere on every(out of town/city) car park,the more chargers the more e-vehicles there'll be on the road which in turn means a cleaner environment,that said I firmly believe all cars(except for a few special cases without loopholes)shouldmbe banned from town and city centres.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

But I did read somewhere that because there is so little wind forcso long the price of wholesale leccy has soared.
And they ( whoever they are!) had to restart a coal fired power station to cover demand.
Nuff said?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 7:38pm And they ( whoever they are!) had to restart a coal fired power station to cover demand.
National Grid asked EDF to fire up West Burton A.

And we're very close to the last time it will happen.

Jonathan
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Puts a bit of a dint in the green credentials though.
As for last time, we shall, as they say, see.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

West Burton A is due to be decommissioned "from September 2022", Kilroot in 2023 and Ratcliffe on Soar in 2024.

I don't expect those to slip much, if at all. Gas is another matter.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 6:28pm
Jdsk wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 7:40am I walked through some roadworks yesterday which turned out to be:

This is the kind of thing that should be happening everywhere on every(out of town/city) car park,the more chargers the more e-vehicles there'll be on the road which in turn means a cleaner environment,that said I firmly believe all cars(except for a few special cases without loopholes)shouldmbe banned from town and city centres.
We were trying to work out how this will play out at a Park and Ride, especially around duration of parking and required duration of charging. And wondered if anyone had a model for reconnecting the charger to a different vehicle while the driver is in the city...

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 8:35pm

We were trying to work out how this will play out at a Park and Ride, especially around duration of parking and required duration of charging. And wondered if anyone had a model for reconnecting the charger to a different vehicle while the driver is in the city...

Jonathan
One idea OTTOMH
An electric car charger attendant,who could unplug and plug in three to six cars parked three on each side of one charging pojnt swapping the lead over as and when needed perhaps?
One attendant could be in charge(sorry)of 10 or more charging points.
If say each car takes 60minutes to charge up it'd take 6hours to charge six cars ×10=60 cars charged fully in 6 hours.
Obviously there'd need to be a price for the service.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

38 chargers at a car park was mentioned in a previous thread. If these were 70kw fast chargers this means a power supply in excess of 2.5 MW's is required. This is getting serious numbers. The infrastructure in terms of supply cables is not up to that standard yet. A lot of work to upgrade the UK supply network will be needed to service the growing demand. We will be looking to foreign support to invest in this level of infrastructure upgrade. Will China come to our rescue, like they are doing at Hinkley Point. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 10:22pm 38 chargers at a car park was mentioned in a previous thread. If these were 70kw fast chargers this means a power supply in excess of 2.5 MW's is required. This is getting serious numbers. The infrastructure in terms of supply cables is not up to that standard yet.
Details of the Oxford project:
https://theoxfordmagazine.com/news/powe ... to-oxford/

38 "fast and ultrapid"
10MW on-site
... directly connected to the high voltage national electricity grid

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 10:06pm
Jdsk wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 8:35pm
One idea OTTOMH
An electric car charger attendant,who could unplug and plug in three to six cars parked three on each side of one charging pojnt swapping the lead over as and when needed perhaps?
One attendant could be in charge(sorry)of 10 or more charging points.
If say each car takes 60minutes to charge up it'd take 6hours to charge six cars ×10=60 cars charged fully in 6 hours.
Obviously there'd need to be a price for the service.
Yes. We came up with human intervention without moving the cars.

But... Teslas can move themselves around a car park. And there have been prototypes of automated connection...

Jonathan