Another physics question.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Another physics question.

Post by Mike Sales »

You are on an anchored boat at low tide.
The lantern of a lighthouse is just visible, sitting on the horizon.
At high water, with the boat in the same place, what will happen to your view of the light?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonineaston

Re: Another physics question.

Post by simonineaston »

I won't be able to see it as my seat in the pub does not face the water...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:11pm You are on an anchored boat at low tide.
At high water, with the boat in the same place, what will happen to your view of the light?
Thanks. Never seen that before.

Is it all in one tidal system... and is there any slack in the anchor line and can you pay it out?

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:19pm

Is it all in one tidal system... and is there any slack in the anchor line and can you pay it out?

Jonathan
Both in the same tidal system tidal system, and the boat is assumed to be in exactly the same spot.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The trouble with tidal systems is that tidal range can be very variable over such a range. So the boat might easily experience a larger tidal range than the water e.g. mid way between the boat and lighthouse.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:22pm

Both in the same tidal system tidal system, and the boat is assumed to be in exactly the same spot.
Thanks, and not limited in vertical movement by the anchor?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:28pm The trouble with tidal systems is that tidal range can be very variable over such a range. So the boat might easily experience a larger tidal range than the water e.g. mid way between the boat and lighthouse.
I didn't know the correct term for the surface all of the relevant water going up together...

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Psamathe wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:28pm The trouble with tidal systems is that tidal range can be very variable over such a range. So the boat might easily experience a larger tidal range than the water e.g. mid way between the boat and lighthouse.

Ian
For the purposes of the question you can assume that the sea over the whole area is rising and falling by the same amount at the same time.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:28pm
Mike Sales wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:22pm

Thanks, and not limited in vertical movement by the anchor?

Jonathan
No limit in vertical movement.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Hmmm,
> this is not an 'educated' answer by any means, but I'd guess the view of the lighthouse lantern would disappear, or be reduced
> my thinking is that yes, the anchored boat would gain height as the tide rose, but the mass of the water between the boat and lantern would also rise.
< However, the lighthouse being 'attached' to terra firma wouldn't change height, thus my answer
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

bikes4two wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:33pm Hmmm,
> this is not an 'educated' answer by any means, but I'd guess the view of the lighthouse lantern would disappear, or be reduced
> my thinking is that yes, the anchored boat would gain height as the tide rose, but the mass of the water between the boat and lantern would also rise.
< However, the lighthouse being 'attached' to terra firma wouldn't change height, thus my answer
Correct, well thought and put.
A nautical almanac has "dipping tables".
These tabulate the distance to the horizon for various heights of eye, and for various heights of the light, or whatever.

http://www.sailtrain.co.uk/navigation/rising.htm
http://skysailtraining.co.uk/dipping_distance.htm
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

More of a geometry question to be fair :P
bikes4two wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:33pm However, the lighthouse being 'attached' to terra firma wouldn't change height, thus my answer
Even if it was a lightboat and could rise in the same manner as the observer they would still lower in the horizon relative to each other.

Obviously assuming no sudden appearance of light distorting atmospheric effects.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Stevek76 wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:13pm More of a geometry question to be fair :P
bikes4two wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:33pm However, the lighthouse being 'attached' to terra firma wouldn't change height, thus my answer
Even if it was a lightboat and could rise in the same manner as the observer they would still lower in the horizon relative to each other.

Obviously assuming no sudden appearance of light distorting atmospheric effects.
The light on a lightship or buoy would remain at the same height above the sea, so its horizon would remain the same, just as the observer's would.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Yes, but the sphere they're sat on is expanding so they are getting further apart, assuming they are both rising vertically from their own perspectives, i.e. constant lat/long
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Stevek76 wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:21pm Yes, but the sphere they're sat on is expanding so they are getting further apart, assuming they are both rising vertically from their own perspectives, i.e. constant lat/long
I did consider that factor, but my feeling, with no calculation, is that the effect would be relatively infinitesimal.