What cars have the worst drivers?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jezer

What cars have the worst drivers?

Post by jezer »

Excluding commercial vehicles, what do you think?

BMW's used to be bad, but in my experience the most aggressive driver now uses an Audi, especially TT's and the newer models with silly lights. Obviously I am not saying they are all bad, but I think a higher percentage of Audi owners drive aggressively than do other make's owners.

Apologies to anyone on this forum who drives an Audi, you are obviously not guilty as you are really a cyclist at heart. :)
Power to the pedals
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

The worst cars I experience lack of cycle thought are those with 'R' plates on them. Which is sad, considering they have only just recently passed their tests.

The next bad lot are cars driven by folk wearing suncaps and seem to think everyone has to listen to their brand of music... at least you hear them coming.

Then I reckon the next lot has to be the lot that are late for work.... by crikey arent there a lot of them eh?

Mary
mhara

Post by mhara »

School-run Mum. Terrifying.
johnonthetyne

Post by johnonthetyne »

is your "r plate" the same as "p" plate in this mainland england?
Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Post by Jeckyll_n_Snyde »

All of em :!:
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mhara wrote:School-run Mum. Terrifying.

My wife works at a local school. They have dreadful and endless problems with the "mums' rush". I won't go into detail, because it would take pages, and anyway, you all know the details.

One particular morning, one particular mum had gone past the lollipop lady at "red", mounted and blocked the pavement with her 4WD, and left it there while she took her child into the school.

The deputy head arrived (on his bike, as it happens) just as she was coming back out of the schoolyard and he admonished her, pointing out that the kids were having to walk in the road (very busy at that time in the morning) and that one of them could be hurt or killed.

Her response, in front of several other mothers was "........so long as it's not my child.......". Well, she was a motorist in a 4WD - typical, but can you imagine the uproar?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Jeckyll_n_Snyde wrote:All of em :!:

My feelings entirely.
grw

Post by grw »

I was thinking about this just before I left London a month or so ago. The Toyota Prius often seemed to make me feel distinctly nervous when approaching me from behind / the side / in front (anywhere?).
I thought it odd. These were touted as a more environmentally friendly car (and I don't want to raise any discussion on this topic about the validity / stupidity of such a claim).
Is there a congestion charge discount for these cars? Does this mean that previous Chelsea tractor inner London drivers buy one of these and then see their contribution towards reducing environmental harm as absolving them from any responsibility to look where they're going, and who they're pulling out in front of? It 's probably
Just my observation, but from where I'm sitting now in Sydney, UK car drivers wouldn't even make it onto the top 10 of bad drivers. Should see the standard of driving in some 'utes' over here...
g
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

JohnW wrote:
mhara wrote:School-run Mum. Terrifying.

My wife works at a local school. They have dreadful and endless problems with the "mums' rush". I won't go into detail, because it would take pages, and anyway, you all know the details.

One particular morning, one particular mum had gone past the lollipop lady at "red", mounted and blocked the pavement with her 4WD, and left it there while she took her child into the school.

The deputy head arrived (on his bike, as it happens) just as she was coming back out of the schoolyard and he admonished her, pointing out that the kids were having to walk in the road (very busy at that time in the morning) and that one of them could be hurt or killed.

Her response, in front of several other mothers was "........so long as it's not my child.......". Well, she was a motorist in a 4WD - typical, but can you imagine the uproar?

And they still can't understand that they are the reason the roads are too dangerous for their little darlings to cycle on. . .
andwags

Post by andwags »

Too true, but I object to use of the sexist word mum, because the dads are just as bad. The death run, I mean school run makes a huge difference to my morning ride. The roads are so nice when the school holidays are on.

Audi, BMW and Mercedes are all closely tied for having the worst aggressive drivers. Also known by their latin name wankorus maximus.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

andwags wrote:The roads are so nice when the school holidays are on.

Need to be a little careful in attributing traffic to the school run only. I commute very early, much earlier than any school opening time but I notice a sharp drop in the volume of traffic when schools are on holiday. I attribute this to people being on holiday and hence not commuting by car.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
BrianInnes

Re: What cars have the worst drivers?

Post by BrianInnes »

jezer wrote:Excluding commercial vehicles, what do you think?

BMW's used to be bad, but in my experience the most aggressive driver now uses an Audi, especially TT's and the newer models with silly lights. Obviously I am not saying they are all bad, but I think a higher percentage of Audi owners drive aggressively than do other make's owners.

Apologies to anyone on this forum who drives an Audi, you are obviously not guilty as you are really a cyclist at heart. :)

Generally the small engined hatch backs with comedy car accessory store spoilers wide bore exhausts tinted windows and drivers with passengers who lean out and yell something unintelligible as they drive past with their bass lines booming out. :|
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Jeckyll_n_snyde's "all of 'em" seems to fit the bill admirably, doesn't it?

I thought Phil_Lee's comment was very appropriate. I well remember a neighbour of mine, when instructing his 11-year-old son before setting of on his bike on an expedition to the local park:........"and keep off the roads!"......., and, in the next breath, playing hell with me about ....."cyclists - they're a menace - they ride on the pavement all the ****** time down this lane - one scratched my car yesterday"....... - his car being parked on the pavement at the time.

This is absolutely typical, isn't it? And they don't see the irony or the hypocracy in their stance.
mhara

Post by mhara »

andwags wrote:Too true, but I object to use of the sexist word mum, because the dads are just as bad. ...

You're right andwags. It is sometimes hard to tell whether the hulking great piece of metal you're trying to avoid being mown down by is being driven by a woman, a man or a J&r^m& Cl$rks*n clone.

I do observe that the parents you see walking or cycling with their children to school seem to be a more balanced mix of genders - one of the signs that the world might just be getting to be a better place?
Speshact

Post by Speshact »

I give any Mitsubishi Warrior a wide berth - can't imagine any gentle, considerate soul would buy something named Warrior.