HMS Vigil - any fans out there?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

HMS Vigil - any fans out there?

Post by simonineaston »

I read in the Guardian that the BBC's latest thriller is keeping audiences on tenterhooks (whatever they are!). It occurs to me that filming in a real sub - let alone a Trident-equipped nuclear jobbie - must have its challenges... Anyone watching it? Anyone care to comment on how realistic a portrayal of life in the Senior Service, or life abourd a sub. is?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Re: HMS Vigil - any fans out there?

Post by Jdsk »

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 11:04am Anyone care to comment on how realistic a portrayal of life in the Senior Service, or life abourd a sub. is?
Turbulent's former captain:
https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/30/how-accu ... -15174565/

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Let's be clear - being a "fan" is a very different issue to nit-picking (or not) over factual details.
(I hope you realise it's not a documentary about life aboard a nuclear sub?)

Please decide which one you want to discuss!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Of my old team, two served in the Senior Service, one a submariner. I can only imagine what his comments are like, the day after each episode !!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 11:04am I read in the Guardian that the BBC's latest thriller is keeping audiences on tenterhooks (whatever they are!). It occurs to me that filming in a real sub - let alone a Trident-equipped nuclear jobbie - must have its challenges... Anyone watching it? Anyone care to comment on how realistic a portrayal of life in the Senior Service, or life abourd a sub. is?
None of it is filmed on a real submarine. According to real submariners it's far too roomy inside - but of course the makers want dramatic effect; so a passageway is made so two people can walk side by side talking, whilst in reality that isn't the case. I'm enjoying it anyway...
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I thought it unlikely to be shot in a real Trident sub - imagine the opposition's delight - they'd be glued to it if it were real!
S
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

To quote the director:

"We had to create a big enough space to contain the action and be big enough to work in yet retain all the claustrophobia of a real submarine."
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We've been watching and enjoying it and treating it as a TV drama,we're under no illusions as to whether it's filmed on a real submarine.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

If it is claustrophobic you are after you must watch Das Boot.
Das-Boot.jpg
Last edited by Mike Sales on 7 Sep 2021, 9:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Watched the first episode and that was it.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Mike Sales wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 7:54pm If it is claustrophobic you are after you must watch Das Boot.
Das-Boot.jpg
Or you could have gone for a look over the U475 when it was a museum at Woolwich. It was the biggest class of (conventional) submarine in the Russian fleet, but you wouldn't think so to look inside.
https://londonist.com/london/history/re ... -submarine
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
rjb

Post by rjb »

My dad a submariner just after WWII was hooked by "Das Boot". He told me it was pretty realistic of life on a submarine. His first posting was on a goodwill visit to the med and this is what he told his M&D. As soon as they set sail and dived below the Captain called them all into his cabin individually and got them all to write their Wills before informing them they were heading to Murmansk to record Russian shipping movements and if caught the gov would deny all knowledge of the venture. Life in the Cold War. :o

Rob Bell is currently showing a documentary on Channel 5 showing life on a trident submarine. It's a lot more confined than the BBC offering. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had to look it up what HMS Vigil was all about.
Not seen it, and I doubt I'll bother.

Modern submarines aren't claustrophobic. They are bigger than most of the frigates I served in!
Also, on one ship, we would spend weeks at see up the Iceland Faeroes gap in atrocious weather and unable to see any daylight or get any fresh air. Rocking, pitching and rolling and sleep was difficult.

Submarines on the other hand, are away from all that on the surface, and bigger than my frigates too.
Vanguard Class submarines are huge.
Mick F. Cornwall
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Mick F wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 9:23am I had to look it up what HMS Vigil was all about.

Also, on one ship, we would spend weeks at see up the Iceland Faeroes gap in atrocious weather and unable to see any daylight or get any fresh air. Rocking, pitching and rolling and sleep was difficult.
Father has a story of when he was (possibly on Andromeda) off Iceland. He was on the bridge and remarked "It's dark out there Skip". The reply was "No Chief, that's a wave, the skies up there"

I don't think he left the boiler room after that