Been everywhere

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Been everywhere

Post by Mick F »

Dunno where this subject could go, but On the Road or Touring and Expedition don't seem right.

Was chatting the other day .............. and making fun of myself at the same time whilst admitting my obsessive personality .............

Cycled JOGLE twice, LEJOG and Back, toured England, Scotland and Wales (instead of doing yet another End2End) ......... ridden just about every road in Cornwall, been to every parish church in Cornwall (all 226 of them), crossed every single bridge over the River Tamar (26 of them), crossed over all 79 bridges over the A30 from Exeter to LE, and nearly done all the bridges over the A38 Exeter to Bodmin. (Will be finished this/next week)

Meanwhile, I've walked the dog on all the footpaths locally, crossed over into Devon and walked on all the Tamar Trails in Blanchdown Woods footpaths, done both side of the River Tamar paths, walked to different local pubs along lanes and footpaths ...............
Four or five mile walks regularly. Longest was twelve miles.

I'm scraping the barrel trying to find somewhere new to go.

Any advice?
Sell the bikes and have the dog re-homed perhaps ........... and get a life? :wink:
Emigrate? :shock:

PS:
Been out on a ride today. 30miles circuit.
I call it my Favourite Ride ......... today was the 44th time I've done it.
Yes, I keep records. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Re: Been everywhere

Post by 661-Pete »

If I'm not mistaken, one of your possessions is an African Grey parrot. Does it accompany you perched on your shoulder? :lol:

Given your West Country and Naval antecedents, why not strap up one of your legs, don a pirate's hat, coat, and crutch, and take to the high seas (uttering the occasional "Aaarrrrrh Jim Lad") in search of buried treasure?

Pity that RLS didn't give the latitude and longitude of Treasure Island, but if you come across it, arrrh....there be treasure there still unlifted....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
sjs

Post by sjs »

Do you know what your Eddington number is? If not, you could fill in some time by working it out from your comprehensive records. Then you could set some targets for increasing it.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

661-Pete wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:46pm If I'm not mistaken, one of your possessions is an African Grey parrot. Does it accompany you perched on your shoulder? :lol:
...and keep saying "at the next intersection, turn left"?

I find myself doing the same routes over and over. I keep records too, and in the last 6 years I've stopped at the same coffee/cake shop 113 times. It happens to be ~40 km away and makes for a pleasant ride; and having gone there regularly for the last 15 years the staff are practically chums. I note, however, that after PBP 2015 I noted it down as a recovery ride, but nowadays it's more often than not the point where I turn for home.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

What about walking the doggy around the SW coastal path in stages?

We just lost our collie...very sad but she was 15.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Eddington Number for Mercian is E80. Can't see that ever increasing as I've done over 80s fifty odd times and over 90s eighteen times.

Moulton is E37 but I've only had the beast since 2016 ........... and it's heavy and laborious.
There's been only four rides over 60miles.

Longest ride Mercian is 114miles
Longest ride Moulton is 75miles.

The parrot isn't interested. :lol:
She's been down the pub with me once perhaps 20years ago, but she was glad to get back home again!

Sailor the dog?
He likes it in the car, but he likes walking routes he knows. I often joke that he's taking ME for a walk!
He doesn't like roads and hates traffic passing. Honestly, he's afraid of passing traffic, so footpaths are the way for him.

SW coast path eh?
Worth thinking about as it's a combination of a car journey and a walk on a footpath. Trouble is, how do you drive to a start point, and then get home from there?
Turn round and go back to the car?
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

sjs wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:56pm Do you know what your Eddington number is? If not, you could fill in some time by working it out from your comprehensive records. Then you could set some targets for increasing it.
I had to look this up.Very interesting!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve a friend in the village likes to tick off things like MickF. Consequently after doing everything local possible it now entails a lot of driving ticking off similar things in Cumbria and Northumberland.
After doing all roads, trig points, and windmills he is eagerly awaiting permission for a new wind farm to be approved on our doorstep. It is going to be vast and open up a lot of new ground which has been impenetrable by bike.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Whole threads about Eddington Number.

This is the first ................. I think.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18612&p=150748
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Mick F wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 3:30pm Whole threads about Eddington Number.

This is the first ................. I think.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18612&p=150748
According to Veloviewer mine is E45.Dunno if that's good or bad :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The problem with the Eddington Number, is that it pays no attention to the number of times you have ridden a particular distance.

Taking the argument to extreme ............ is what I like to do to pick holes in things ...............

You could, for instance, have cycled 50miles ever single day of your whole life, and so never get above E50.
Conversely, you could ride 100miles 100times in a year or so, and then never ever ride again, and still be an E100.

'tain't fair. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 4:23pm The problem with the Eddington Number, is that it pays no attention to the number of times you have ridden a particular distance.
That's precisely what it does for the particular distance that gives the maximum value of E.

Mick F wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 4:23pm You could, for instance, have cycled 50miles ever single day of your whole life, and so never get above E50.
Conversely, you could ride 100miles 100times in a year or so, and then never ever ride again, and still be an E100.
Yes, it doesn't take into account the period over which it was achieved.

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

According to Veloviewer to raise my number by 1 to 46 I have to ride 46miles twice or more.
To raise it by 2 to 47 I have to ride 47miles 6 times or more.
It doesn't give the figures above that but you get the idea.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hellhound wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 5:17pm According to Veloviewer to raise my number by 1 to 46 I have to ride 46miles twice or more.
To raise it by 2 to 47 I have to ride 47miles 6 times or more.
It doesn't give the figures above that but you get the idea.
Yes. That's how it works. Increasing E is tough.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

In order to get mine from E80 to E81, I have to do 81miles three more times. Possible perhaps.
To get it to E85, I have to do 85miles twenty-one times!

No way on God's Earth will I be riding 85miles 20odd times in the rest of my life. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall