Been everywhere

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Hellhound

Re: Been everywhere

Post by Hellhound »

Mick F wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 6:55pm In order to get mine from E80 to E81, I have to do 81miles three more times. Possible perhaps.
To get it to E85, I have to do 85miles twenty-one times!

No way on God's Earth will I be riding 85miles 20odd times in the rest of my life. :lol:
Me neither.
I do the odd century,usually one a year,a couple of 75miles and a few 50miles.As I ride alone mostly I do 30-40miles most of the time :lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Have a swim on every Cornish beach? Regular Dogwash possibilities. :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
sjs

Post by sjs »

If you wanted something a bit nerdy and you have accurate data, you could list all your recorded rides in increasing distance order, say to the nearest mile, and fill in the gaps. For instance, if the shortest ride you've never done is say 27 miles, you could plan a ride to be exactly 27 miles to fill in the gap. It you planned it wrong and it turned out at 26 or 28, it wouldn't count.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

al_yrpal wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 2:04pm What about walking the doggy around the SW coastal path in stages?

We just lost our collie...very sad but she was 15.

Al
Sympathies, Al. Both our Labs died within 36 hours of each other back in April. We're still mourning.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Pubs with an inn sign that contains the name of an animal.
Start at A and continue. With the dog or without :)
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Have you tried reversing the direction of your local routes, rides can have a different feel the other way around, what was up is now down etc ? You could do your bridge-bagging rides from their opposite ends for instance. I've started taking more of an interest in the farming year as there's so much growing done in these parts, there's always something different going on; also the passing seasons effects on the same old roads, bird migrations etc,etc. I try to retain an interest in my surroundings on over-familiar routes.
Good Luck.
Nu-Fogey
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:37pm Cycled JOGLE twice, LEJOG and Back,
Apart from the two extremes, there's more routes between those two destinations than anyone is likely to do in a lifetime. How many of them have you done? I suspect it's just the one. Nothing wrong with that, some people ride the same route every week, it's just there's a huge difference between having been somewhere and having traveled there. If the objective was the destination, you've ticked it off, several times. For me the objective is usually the journey, the destination largely irrelevant.
The British Cycle Quest is good for this, it encourages you to plot routes you might not otherwise consider, some of my nicest rides have been when I wasn't expecting them.
The cathedrals challenge that we've talked about previously, is a similar thing. As someone suggested, it's either about the cathedrals, or the journey and if the latter it might as well have been car showrooms.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

What about visiting all the Good Beer Guide pubs in Cornwall (other pub guides exist, but they all worry about boring things like food etc.).
Not only a different challenge, but one that will change every year so maybe never ending. How's Sailor on public transport?- it's not something you can really do by driving
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Thanks guys!
All very interesting and food for thought.

Today, me and Sailor-the dog, were dropped off at Cotehele whilst Mrs Mick F did other stuff.
We walked over the footpaths and the hills to the Rising Sun Inn.
3miles of ups and downs, some of them steep.

The route, for some of the earlier stuff, I've never been on ............ so that was nice!
Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 14.37.33.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

PH wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 9:16am Apart from the two extremes, there's more routes between those two destinations than anyone is likely to do in a lifetime. How many of them have you done? I suspect it's just the one. Nothing wrong with that, some people ride the same route every week, it's just there's a huge difference between having been somewhere and having traveled there. If the objective was the destination, you've ticked it off, several times. For me the objective is usually the journey, the destination largely irrelevant.
The British Cycle Quest is good for this, it encourages you to plot routes you might not otherwise consider, some of my nicest rides have been when I wasn't expecting them.
The cathedrals challenge that we've talked about previously, is a similar thing. As someone suggested, it's either about the cathedrals, or the journey and if the latter it might as well have been car showrooms.
Yes this sounds a lot less like 'l've been everywhere' and a lot more like 'l've been everywhere west of the Tamar'. Get on a train to somwhere and cycle home, even if it takes five days.

If your lifestyle doesn't suit that (dogs, local pub, home-cooked food whatever) that's fine but don't believe you've been everywhere when you're largely home-based. Until the Covid crisis l did a fair bit of carless cycle touring, using the train either in or out or return to get miles in elsewhere.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Everywhere?
Of course not.

Spent many years in the RN and took a bike with me since the 70s.
Here's which countries I've cycled in.
I have a thread about it in the past, but no-one has beaten it.

I spent 27 years in the Royal Navy, and many times I took one bike or another on my trips away in Her Majesty’s Ships. So I’ve cycled in quite a few foreign countries:

(In no particular order)
Gibraltar, including to the Top of the Rock, and into Spain.
Naples, including up Vesuvius to the Seismic Observatory.
Corfu
Haifa, Israel
Bahrain
Mombassa, Kenya
Karachi, Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Malaysia
Thailand
Bermuda
Singapore
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Jakarta, Indonesia
Nassau, Bahamas
Bunbury, Western Australia
Adelaide
Sydney, including into the Blue Mountains
Hobart to Port Arthur, Tasmania
Caen, and the Normandy Coast
Bremen, Germany
Bremerhaven, Germany
Antwerp
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
USA:
500 miles from Niagara Falls, Canada to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Taking in New York State, Vermont and Massachusetts.
Florida, Cape Canaveral and Jacksonville.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Manhattan

Never cost me a penny!
All I had to do was sign on in the RN for 27 years and take a bike in ships! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

How much off road have you ridden in Cornwall?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

How about doing day walks with each new day you add one mile to the length of the walk until you can't do any more miles due to time left in the day or physical fitness.

Never done that but I've done over 50 miles in 16 hours straight walking. 40 miles in 9 hours. I know I could do more but I admit that I don't want to do it anymore.

I've not got bored of doing my usual stuff. It's about being out and not in. Even if I've done it all before. I used to do Coniston old man at least 5 times a year, helvellyn about 4 times and Warton crag a lot! Later wansfell got regular visits. Each walk is different even if the route is the same
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Tangled Metal wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 6:48am How about doing day walks with each new day you add one mile to the length of the walk until you can't do any more miles due to time left in the day or physical fitness.

Never done that but I've done over 50 miles in 16 hours straight walking. 40 miles in 9 hours. I know I could do more but I admit that I don't want to do it anymore.

I've not got bored of doing my usual stuff. It's about being out and not in. Even if I've done it all before. I used to do Coniston old man at least 5 times a year, helvellyn about 4 times and Warton crag a lot! Later wansfell got regular visits. Each walk is different even if the route is the same
I climbed Helvellyn (my favourite LD mountain) almost every year until illness about 5 years ago. Similarly Cheviot. Always different and never tired of it.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I have been up Coniston old man so many times and over many years that I remember mining buildings with roof structure but no roof that are now little more than a pile of stones. You can just make out the walls but it's like the wall just spread out as it fell down.

I think it's changed a lot around the mining buildings up from walna scar Road side. A former work colleague grew up Duddon side and at 18 used to drive over Walna Scar Road with his mates to a dance and it was all tarmac Road.

I like the Coniston coppermines area. There's a few safe adits you can get into. However some feel and look like solid but you're walking on gravel above rotting timbers. You really need to know your stuff down old mines. I always had a dream that the coppermines would be restored and opened up as an education place. People really need to know that once mining was the biggest industry in the lake district. It was internationally important and played a role in Britain beating napoleon!