Been everywhere

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Been everywhere

Post by Mick F »

Off up to Exeter tomorrow morning to ride on some new roads and crossing some bridges! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

How was your big day out Mick F?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I heard that Arnside area is busier than usual now because of a guardian travel writer who had a weekend break there and loved it so much she takes every opportunity to tell everyone to go there. It's certainly been getting busier from before pandemic days?

I often wonder whether there should be a ban on travel writers writing about anywhere without sufficient infrastructure to handle hordes of tourists. If that had been in place centuries ago some of our best known poets would have not been as well known! I wandered lonely as a cloud, shhh! not round here you didn't!
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Tangled Metal wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 4:21pm I heard that Arnside area is busier than usual now because of a guardian travel writer who had a weekend break there and loved it so much she takes every opportunity to tell everyone to go there. It's certainly been getting busier from before pandemic days?

I often wonder whether there should be a ban on travel writers writing about anywhere without sufficient infrastructure to handle hordes of tourists. If that had been in place centuries ago some of our best known poets would have not been as well known! I wandered lonely as a cloud, shhh! not round here you didn't!
The North Coast 500 was a well kept secret until it wasn't. :(
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Been everywhere, seen everything, but I ain't been to the bottom of the sea.
At least by bike!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 3:54pm How was your big day out Mick F?
Excellent, thank you. :D
Report on the Touring page "Bridges".

Mike Sales wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 7:29pm
Been everywhere, seen everything, but I ain't been to the bottom of the sea.
At least by bike!
Sea Story Alert! :D

Crossing the Indian Ocean in 1988 - HMS Sirius - we stopped over a very deep part, and anyone who could be spared from watches, jumped in and had a swim!

There's me, treading water, and thinking about the depth below me. Quite thought-provoking knowing that the bottom was five miles down! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 9:48am
Crossing the Indian Ocean in 1988 - HMS Sirius - we stopped over a very deep part, and anyone who could be spared from watches, jumped in and had a swim!

There's me, treading water, and thinking about the depth below me. Quite thought-provoking knowing that the bottom was five miles down! :shock:
I had a similar thought, on a ridiculously smaller scale, the first time I took my new dinghy out on the sea!
Supported above sixty feet of water by a thin plywood skin!.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This is on the BBC News website.
Sounds a good idea eh? :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-58651483
Mick F. Cornwall
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Mick F wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:38am This is on the BBC News website.

This is bound to sound ridiculous, but the literal meaning of the word 'refugee' has only just occurred to me, seriously. But I guess a lot of people just miss the point.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kylecycler wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:32am This is bound to sound ridiculous, but the literal meaning of the word 'refugee' has only just occurred to me, seriously. But I guess a lot of people just miss the point.
All off the words get confused: asylum seeker, refugee, migrant, economic migrant, immigrant, emigrant,"second generation immigrant", expat, foreign worker, "guest worker". It's sometimes merely amusing ("I'm an expat not a migrant"). When done deliberately it can be very nasty.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 23 Sep 2021, 11:54am, edited 1 time in total.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:36am
kylecycler wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:32am
Mick F wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:38am
This is bound to sound ridiculous, but the literal meaning of the word 'refugee' has only just occurred to me, seriously. But I guess a lot of people just miss the point.
All off the words get confused: asylum seeker, refugee, migrant, economic migrant, immigrant, emigrant,"second generation immigrant", expat, foreign worker, "guest worker". It's sometimes merely amusing ("I'm an expat not a migrant"). When done deliberately it can be very nasty.

Jonathan
I just meant that literally refugee means someone seeking refuge and I think that passes some people by.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes.

Jonathan
jb

Post by jb »

I'm sure there are quite a few refugees who most certainly wouldn't be welcome - by anyone.
Cheers
J Bro
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

jb wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:08am I'm sure there are quite a few refugees who most certainly wouldn't be welcome - by anyone.
Or deportees, and pity the poor immigrant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzlr6WflekY&t=894s
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:38am This is on the BBC News website.

And here's another.
Might be just the thing!
Endless!
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... mind-cover