Been everywhere

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Been everywhere

Post by Mick F »

It's a great idea and often considered it, but I need the imagination of a design to create my own.
You also need lots of roads in the area. City environments are good for that.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As you all know, I'm trying to ride over all the bridges over the Tamar Valley Railway Line. 33 of them. 17 done so far.

I've done JOGLE twice, done LEJOG and BACK, done a Grand Tour of Scotland, Northern England, Wales, and back down this way. Done most of the roads in Cornwall, been to every Parish Church in Cornwall (226 of them!) crossed the bridges over the River Tamar, crossed over all the bridges over the A30 Exeter to Penzance, and all the bridges over the A38 from Exeter to Bodmin.

What's next?
Mick F. Cornwall
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Cycle to all the youth hostels, it's a moving target so it'll keep you going indefinitely.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Mick F wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 5:05pm As you all know, I'm trying to ride over all the bridges over the Tamar Valley Railway Line. 33 of them. 17 done so far.

I've done JOGLE twice, done LEJOG and BACK, done a Grand Tour of Scotland, Northern England, Wales, and back down this way. Done most of the roads in Cornwall, been to every Parish Church in Cornwall (226 of them!) crossed the bridges over the River Tamar, crossed over all the bridges over the A30 Exeter to Penzance, and all the bridges over the A38 from Exeter to Bodmin.

What's next?
Circuit of British Isles?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
rjb

Post by rjb »

How about all the Devon and Cornwall train stations, operational and redundant. Lighthouses on the mainland. You may already have done these. Youve done parish churches so what about pubs, how many years have you got. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Philip Benstead

How about visiting the highest point in each county in the UK
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Philip Benstead wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 8:33pm How about visiting the highest point in each county in the UK
Sounds like a task.

Which one's have I already been through?
Give me sec, and I may have a list. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chatting to Mrs Mick F, and we have had a "conversation" .......... note the inverted commas. :shock:

Define County?
There are Counties and there are Counties, and boundaries have changed, let alone the names of the places.

Lancashire ......... where my ancestors came from, has been divided up! :shock:
Southport was in Lancashire as was Liverpool as was the western side of Manchester, let alone Wigan.

We have Merseyside, and Metropolitan stuff, and Greater Manchester! :shock: :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 7:29pm How about all the Devon and Cornwall train stations, operational and redundant. Lighthouses on the mainland. You may already have done these. Youve done parish churches so what about pubs, how many years have you got. :lol:
70 later this year. :cry:

I had an idea to visit all the railway stations - past and present. Thread on here perhaps somewhere.
Back burner job, but worth a thought.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 9:57pm Chatting to Mrs Mick F, and we have had a "conversation" .......... note the inverted commas. :shock:

Define County?
There are Counties and there are Counties, and boundaries have changed, let alone the names of the places.

Southport was in Lancashire as was Liverpool as was the western side of Manchester, let alone Wigan.

We have Merseyside, and Metropolitan stuff, and Greater Manchester! :shock: :shock:
I was born in Bolton, which was and still is in the traditional county of Lancashire, as well as the current Greater Manchester. Also in the traditional county of Lancashire are Liverpool and Warrington, both absent from the modern administrative county using the name Lancashire.

But most of Lancashire is not all that great for leisure cycling. For example, people doing LEJOG usually find they have several potentially nice route choices, until they get to the traditional ("ceremonial"?) county of Lancashire, around the Warrington area. And things stay problematic until somewhere after Preston/ Blackburn.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This week, it will be 55 years since I began my training at the No 3 District PTC at Pannal Ash Near Harrogate, now in North Yorkshire but then in the West Riding. We slept in dormitories. Some seven years later I was on a newly-promoted sergeants' course in Wakefield when a voice in the dining room boomed "Is that the Mick Agar who was in the next bed to me at Pannal?" He went on to joke that he had served in three police forces during that time (West Riding, West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire) and he'd always lived in the same police house.
Philip Benstead

Mick F wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 9:57pm Chatting to Mrs Mick F, and we have had a "conversation" .......... note the inverted commas. :shock:

Define County?

Suggest you use TRADITIONAL AND ADMINISITIVE https://abcounties.com/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Lancashire, I am from.
I remember Westmorland and Cumberland too, and how Lancashire was in two segments.
Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 16.27.36.png
Mick F. Cornwall