UFOs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

UFOs

Post by reohn2 »

Worth discussing?
A subject that's interested me over the years and it has to be said one not without it's nutters,but one thing's for sure when you strip away the loonie/sensationalist/profiteering elements youre left with the credible that can't be explained:- https://youtu.be/ZBtMbBPzqHY there are many other credible sightings and experiences
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Re: UFOs

Post by Jdsk »

"Preliminary Assessment: Unidentified Aerial Phenomena", the 2021 report from US intelligence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_Repor ... elligence)

... which I expect to change precisely nobody's views.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 9:42am "Preliminary Assessment: Unidentified Aerial Phenomena", the 2021 report from US intelligence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_Repor ... elligence)

... which I expect to change precisely nobody's views.

Jonathan
From what to what?
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

A friend was getting interested in the subject (in his defence he was recovering from a few days in a coma after an accident)
His father said, "If a little green man knocked on the front door and asked to be taken to my leader, I still would not believe in them."
There are any number of unlikely explanations for UFOs that are more likely than extraterrestial visitors.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 9:48am
There are any number of unlikely explanations for UFOs that are more likely than extraterrestial visitors.
Agreed and as such require investigation and hopefully explanation.
But when all known phenomena are crossed off the list of possibilities your left with the unexplainable.
It seems the US are working on the theory of threat of invasion or intelligence gathering of other superpowers such as China or Russia or other.
What's being witnessed,if the credible stories are true,defies all known laws of physics.
Such things needn't be extraterrestrial to be unexplainable but it does seem they're not natural phenomena
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I find it hard to believe we are the only 'intelligent' life form out there.I have never seen anything unexplainable with my own eyes but for sure there are things that make you think.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete
Quite!
And on so many levels.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Given the number of inhabitable planets likely to be out there it seems almost impossible that intelligent lifeforms do not exist on other planets. But given the enormous distances to those planets it is also very unlikely any lifeform will ever be able to get to Earth from one of those planets. So with UFOs I think the answer, even though unknown, probably always lies close to home.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

pwa wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 11:01am But given the enormous distances to those planets it is also very unlikely any lifeform will ever be able to get to Earth from one of those planets.
With technology as we currently know it yes.How do we know there isn't a lifeform out there who is much more advanced than us.We've only been around a few thousand years!I think it's rather arrogant of us to think we are the most advanced civilisation in the Galaxy(s)!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Hellhound wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 11:13am
pwa wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 11:01am But given the enormous distances to those planets it is also very unlikely any lifeform will ever be able to get to Earth from one of those planets.
With technology as we currently know it yes.How do we know there isn't a lifeform out there who is much more advanced than us.We've only been around a few thousand years!I think it's rather arrogant of us to think we are the most advanced civilisation in the Galaxy(s)!
To think that travel from a planet outside our own solar system to Earth is possible requires reliance on discoveries in physics that we have not made and which may never be made because they are not there to discover. You might as well say that one day a human will be able to walk through a brick wall as if it isn't there, but we don't know how yet. It doesn't matter how intelligent another lifeform is, it will still have to operate within the laws of physics.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

pwa wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 11:21am
To think that travel from a planet outside our own solar system to Earth is possible requires reliance on discoveries in physics that we have not made and which may never be made because they are not there to discover. You might as well say that one day a human will be able to walk through a brick wall as if it isn't there, but we don't know how yet. It doesn't matter how intelligent another lifeform is, it will still have to operate within the laws of physics.
Within the laws of our physics :wink: Is it beyond the realms of our intelligence to believe there are things we just might not have the brain capacity to understand?
As I said arrogant to think we are the most advanced life form out there.
Mr R2 has started an unanswerable thread.Most people will just base everything they say on our knowledge at this time.
Last edited by Hellhound on 15 Sep 2021, 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pwa wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 11:01am Given the number of inhabitable planets likely to be out there it seems almost impossible that intelligent lifeforms do not exist on other planets. But given the enormous distances to those planets it is also very unlikely any lifeform will ever be able to get to Earth from one of those planets. So with UFOs I think the answer, even though unknown, probably always lies close to home.
The question is what is intelligent and how much are they like us? Often the three things that are said to define intelligent life are beings which have self-awareness, use tools to manipulate the environment in which they live and use language for communication. Plenty of earth species fulfil the second and third of those criteria. Some species, as well as humans, may fulfil the first.

But beings from another planet could easily fulfil all three criteria and be nothing like us. We (especially in sci-fi) like to think of extra-terrestrials being bipedal, with features or desires much like our own (so having loving or familial relationships, going to bars to get drunk or high on something etc etc). But the chances are any intelligent life that we find, or that finds us, is not like that at all.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I agree that another lifeform will still have to operate within the laws of physics but they wont necessarily have to operate within the laws of physics as we currently understand them. There is so much out there we are only just beginning to observe let alone understand that I am sure that in the future (if we are around) we will be able to achieve things we currently think are "beyond the laws of physics" - what is anybodies guess.

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

Hellhound wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 11:28am
Within the laws of our physics :wink: Is it beyond the realms of our intelligence to believe there are things we just might not have the brain capacity to understand?
As I said arrogant to think we are the most advanced life form out there.
Physics is universal, but we don't know all of it yet. And it could well be that physics dictates that there is no way for mortal life to get from another inhabitable planet to Earth. It certainly looks that way at the moment.