Afghan Refugee short term housing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Afghan Refugee short term housing

Post by pete75 »

I fully agree with the government accommodating Afghan refugees in hotels until permanent dwellings are made available. For homeless folk during the pandemic they used Travelodges, Premier Inns, Park Inns, Holiday Inns etc. Cheap and cheerful accommodation but clean and perfectly adequate. One would have expected the same with the refugees. Not always so though - locally they are being accommodated in the rather grand 4* Stoke Rochford Hotel. It does seem a little excessive.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Re: Afghan Refugee short term housing

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ah, but now the other hotels actually need to host the superspreaders…
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Theory:-
Perhaps now travel restrictions are lifted the cheaper hotels are being booked up,whilst hotels such as the one above can't get the custom due to the depress economy.
There is the question of staff shortages in hotels generally but Travelodge types need less staff than the higher class accommodation.
OTOH when you've spent 20 years occupying their country,then dropping everything and doing a bunk leaving the place to a medieval bunch of known religious tyrants,it's the least you can do for the one's you chose to take with you.
Last edited by reohn2 on 16 Sep 2021, 9:11am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I have the view that when a refugee, legal or illegal, has sought sanctuary in the UK then we shouldn't be too critical of ourselves if the people are housed in less than ideal accommodation. Fleeing from war zones, famine etc. as a short term measure then the use of empty barracks should be acceptable and indeed an improvement in their lives.
What is needed (missing) is a plan to move these people into proper accommodation without pushing British people back on the list for decent housing.
Like it or lump it there will be a steady stream of people for years to come and the government needs to get a plan together.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If you care about something then you should care enough to do it badly...

I can see the view that old barracks are a reasonable accommodation, but I see no need to prioritise people based moving on from there by country of origin - prioritisation should be by need.
And those barracks should also be available to British people who find themselves without a roof over their head.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 8:31am I have the view that when a refugee, legal or illegal, has sought sanctuary in the UK then we shouldn't be too critical of ourselves if the people are housed in less than ideal accommodation. Fleeing from war zones, famine etc. as a short term measure then the use of empty barracks should be acceptable and indeed an improvement in their lives.
Those barracks and any other accommodation should meet explicit standards of hygiene, safety etc.

The UK government has repeatedly failed on these. For example:

The judge said: "I do not accept that the accommodation there ensured a standard of living which was adequate for the health of the claimants.
"Insofar as the defendant considered that the accommodation was adequate for their needs, that view was irrational."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-57335499

It's a national disgrace.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 8:45am... but I see no need to prioritise people based moving on from there by country of origin - prioritisation should be by need.
Don't you come round here with those fancy ethical principles...

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 8:45am
francovendee wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 8:31am I have the view that when a refugee, legal or illegal, has sought sanctuary in the UK then we shouldn't be too critical of ourselves if the people are housed in less than ideal accommodation. Fleeing from war zones, famine etc. as a short term measure then the use of empty barracks should be acceptable and indeed an improvement in their lives.
Those barracks and any other accommodation should meet explicit standards of hygiene, safety etc.

The UK government has repeatedly failed on these. For example:

The judge said: "I do not accept that the accommodation there ensured a standard of living which was adequate for the health of the claimants.
"Insofar as the defendant considered that the accommodation was adequate for their needs, that view was irrational."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-57335499

It's a national disgrace.

Jonathan
Spon on!
But not the only,there are many more.....
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Meanwhile ex UK soldiers find themselves living in cardboard boxes on the streets, so many of our homeless are ex squadies, The bleedings hearts never seem to give a dam about these.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 9:26am Meanwhile ex UK soldiers find themselves living in cardboard boxes on the streets, so many of our homeless are ex squadies, The bleedings hearts never seem to give a dam about these.
I don't think that it helps to to use this to set one group in difficulties against another.

The UK should treat all homeless and vulnerable people much better than it does. And it's clear that this is achievable if we want to achieve it.

https://fullfact.org/economy/homelessness-england/

"Homelessness facts and statistics: The numbers you need to know in 2021"
https://www.bigissue.com/news/housing/b ... ard-facts/

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As far as I know between 3 and 6% of homeless are ex military. But that is surely an issue for the military to address rather than cause a further group to suffer, which includes children.

A pity when people who care (including caring for ex soldiers) are dismissed as bleeding hearts.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

The empty barracks had been lived in by the military but he accommodation doesn't meet modern standards and was emptied.
One criticism was a lack of separation over Covid and people living communally in large numbers.
I don't suggest a race to the bottom but as a short term measure it's better than living in makeshift tent in a camp.
Sure the government(s) have failed to provide adequate housing but not just for immigrants.
The problem is the length of time taken to process these people, maybe a ploy of Patel to deter people from trying to gain a life in the UK?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 7:59am Theory:-
Perhaps now travel restrictions are lifted the cheaper hotels are being booked up,whilst hotels such as the one above can't get the custom due to the depress economy.
There is the question of staff shortages in hotels generally but Travelodge types need less staff than the higher class accommodation.
OTOH when you've spent 20 years occupying their country,then dropping everything and doing a bunk leaving the place to a medieval bunch of known religious tyrants,it's the least you can do for the one's you chose to take with you.
It's a popular wedding venue for folk with more money than sense and quite a few weddings have been cancelled in order to accommodate refugees. Weddings are lucrative business so I don't think lack of bookings is the reason.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Well, I've no idea of the reasons behind it, but I, for one, am delighted and proud that we welcome desperate people to our country in such a fantastic setting.

I hope the rest of their experience of the UK remains so positive, I'm sure they have much to offer us.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 2:10pm Well, I've no idea of the reasons behind it, but I, for one, am delighted and proud that we welcome desperate people to our country in such a fantastic setting.

I hope the rest of their experience of the UK remains so positive, I'm sure they have much to offer us.
+1
W H Auden