Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Post by Jdsk »

Today's Times. Although apparently the Government are arguing that it's 127.

Jonathan

27 could have been one from each Member State:

francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 8:37am Image

Today's Times. Although apparently the Government are arguing that it's 127.

Jonathan

27 could have been one from each Member State:

I'll be surprised if the number ever reaches the government target. Seems sheer arrogance to assume they would rush to the UK.
A shortage of drivers across the EU means there are jobs in more friendly countries.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

And who would leave home and family for less than 6 months to work in an unfriendly country? And where immigrants are seen as an invasion of cockroaches taking all our jobs, houses, benefits, NHS, school places…
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 9:03amI'll be surprised if the number ever reaches the government target. Seems sheer arrogance to assume they would rush to the UK.
A shortage of drivers across the EU means there are jobs in more friendly countries.
Sure. But in the world of spin that failure might easily be presented as a success.

In the world of productivity not so much...

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Next CEO Lord Wolfson: I voted for Brexit but as the head of a FTSE 100 company I know more than anyone how much Britain needs immigration":
https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/lord ... 58610.html

Moderately interesting. And correctly identifies the difference between control by employers and control by governments.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Doctors say that ongoing fuel crisis will impact healthcare services, particularly in London and the South East":
https://www.bma.org.uk/bma-media-centre ... south-east
Screenshot 2021-10-05 at 09.37.25.png

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I wonder what the results would've been were they asked in the care sector,particularly those visiting clients/patients who need daily care.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Wolfson presumably wanted the 'singapore upon thames' brexit where he'd have plenty of much cheaper immigrant labour that doesn't get full employment rights.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One thing that confuses me is Johnson spouting how he wants the UK to become a high skilled, high wage economy. Does that mean the more/higher skills will be required to drive HGVs? or that we wont need HGV drivers as they all get up-skilled and become CEOs? or that your builder will now need a University degree to mix his cement and lay your brick wall?

And when those high wage desires arrive, who will be paying those high wages. Building company on radio this morning saying their average salary was £44k and they can't get enough people. So when all these transport companies pay their drivers loads more, where will this money come from - passed on to their customers who pass it on to their product costs which then means we are paying more which means higher inflation which cancels out those driver pay rises. And with 4% inflation expected it will have to be significant pay increases just to stand still. And with most public sector pay going nowhere means some will be getting significantly worse off (again).

Sounds a great sound-bite for Johnson to spout but I can't understand how it would work in practice.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

practice? What's this practice of which you speak.

We will simply not have any telephone sanitisers or hairdressers. (Apologies to DA)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 11:23amAnd when those high wage desires arrive, who will be paying those high wages. Building company on radio this morning saying their average salary was £44k and they can't get enough people. So when all these transport companies pay their drivers loads more, where will this money come from - passed on to their customers who pass it on to their product costs which then means we are paying more which means higher inflation which cancels out those driver pay rises. And with 4% inflation expected it will have to be significant pay increases just to stand still. And with most public sector pay going nowhere means some will be getting significantly worse off (again).
Yes, we're back to Economics 101.

Useful answers to the conundrum involve quality of life and productivity.

Jonathan
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Remember D.A.'s best bit of advice? Printed in large letters - "Don't Panic". :wink: MM
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The culling of healthy pigs has begun on British farms, with farmers forced to kill animals to make space and ensure the continued welfare of their livestock, amid an ongoing shortage of workers at slaughterhouses."
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ir-workers

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 1:58pm "The culling of healthy pigs has begun on British farms, with farmers forced to kill animals to make space and ensure the continued welfare of their livestock, amid an ongoing shortage of workers at slaughterhouses."

Jonathan
You did know - and I will break this to you gently - that the whole nature of farming is that animals die?
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 2:00pm
Jdsk wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 1:58pm "The culling of healthy pigs has begun on British farms, with farmers forced to kill animals to make space and ensure the continued welfare of their livestock, amid an ongoing shortage of workers at slaughterhouses."
You did know - and I will break this to you gently - that the whole nature of farming is that animals die?
I hope that you're quoting that...

Jonathan