Most prolific poster

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: Most prolific poster

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 10:45am Jdsk joined and moved in. Most welcome and his input is informative.....

.....BTW I mean no offence. You are impressive with the way you source information beyond what you post and even if you eventuality become the most prolific poster on here at least it will be full of worthwhile, helpful and informative posts.
Dunno, I find posts of links to Wikipedia pages irritating, of course I don't have to (and indeed don't) go to them. The posts about lived experiences, even if subjective, are more interesting. And there have been so many hoaxes it's got its own Wiki page.... :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _Wikipedia
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't appreciate clickbait thread titles (and I hope it's something I stopped doing a while ago.)

Re links to sources, youtube footage whatever, I appreciate a summary - however brief - of what's at the other end of the link.

A combination of a clickbait title and an unexplained link seems arrogant to me: "I found this interesting/hilarious/spellbinding and so should everyone else."
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PH wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 9:36am Then I notice that Mick F has made two posts above that I'd have probably combined into one.
Utterly agree .............

But in my defence, it's only when hitting the Go button and then going onto other to read other threads on other subjects, another idea comes up and I add another.

Should have edited the original maybe, but when I've done that before on other stuff - and I have done it - someone has already replied to the original whilst I was editing it.

I, and everyone else, cannot win.

Don't forget, that normal users of this forum cannot edit a post they've made after someone else has replied.
I have some privileges on here by dint of Spambusting, so I can edit mine - or anyone else's posts - at any time I chose.
Unless anyone is swearing or being abusive, I leave well alone. I approve or disapprove first-time posters.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 2:00pmDon't forget, that normal users of this forum cannot edit a post they've made after someone else has replied.
I think that we can. But that it's marked as having been edited if it's done after a subsequent post.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 2:03pm
Mick F wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 2:00pmDon't forget, that normal users of this forum cannot edit a post they've made after someone else has replied.
I think that we can. But that it's marked as having been edited if it's done after a subsequent post.

Jonathan
And that the quotes don't get changed
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A very perceptive and timely post here:-

viewtopic.php?p=1631886#p1631886
matt_twam_asi wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 11:18pm Screenshot_2021-08-19 Increasing your post count - Cycling UK Forum.png

^^ irony.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

When I returned to cycling after a more than 40 year break I rejoined the CTC and found this forum very useful. It filled gaps in my cycling knowledge and brought me up to date.
But over the years I need very little extra knowledge and have little to offer with many folk here more knowiedgeable than me.
Recently I have felt that I have become too distracted by some of the stuff dicussed in the tea shop and have consciously tried to withdraw.
I have made a few nice friends and acquaintances here whose friendship I value. I wouldnt wish to be amongst the most prolific posters there are too many other more rewarding activities to pursue.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 17 Sep 2021, 3:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Al

As of now you are in 25th place on the list of posters - just short of your 10,000. Don't let the forum spoil your honeymoon
memberlist.php?mode=&sk=d&sd=d#memberlist
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 2:26pm A very perceptive and timely post here:-

viewtopic.php?p=1631886#p1631886
Yes, that was me taking the "rise" out of being able to post inane and rubbish stuff.
The post-count is a pointless statistic IMHO.
It's as if we're ranked by the numbers of posts.

Some forums rank members in the numbers of "thanks for your post" you get. Better system perhaps.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mick F wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 3:36pm Some forums rank members in the numbers of "thanks for your post" you get. Better system perhaps.
Don't see that working well. In Tea Shop where there are subjective views how often do posts 'need' to be thanked?

I stopped offering advice on Touring and Expedition partly because l often felt like screaming 'Just go out there and ride it' - you don't need everyone's opinion on whether it's the right route. And partly because l posted advice pertinent to routes and no thanks came anyway.

I know you're an End to End veteran - I've done JOGLE once - but frankly people should make their own choices about it. My route included Dunnet Head and Lizard Point, and after Penrith (end of Day 5) l had no accommodation booked, just did it on the way. But there are hundreds of options, why have to slavishly follow others? - whose opinion is subjective anyway...
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

An old,long gone,MTB Forum I was a member of ranked posters with a cake.You started off as a Victoria sponge and gradually worked your way up the cake rankings as your post count grew.The cake rankings were of course ranked by the Forum owners and this could cause disagreements on why a certain cake was ranked higher than another :lol: :lol:
All good fun though.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

reohn2 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 10:20am
PH wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 8:40am
francovendee wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 7:33am I think Mickf must come near the top
Yes, but half his content is telling us he's leaving/has left the CTC.
And the other half telling us he never wanted to join the EU :wink:
And his third half :wink: all about his lack of a TV licence.
pwa

Post by pwa »

fausto copy wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 2:59pm
reohn2 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 10:20am
PH wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 8:40am

Yes, but half his content is telling us he's leaving/has left the CTC.
And the other half telling us he never wanted to join the EU :wink:
And his third half :wink: all about his lack of a TV licence.
Have they still not locked him away for that yet?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F did indeed purchase a TV license, but it had the wrong name on it. Don't know if he got it sorted out but I don't reckon he'll renew it...........more threatening letters from the tv licence people?
:|
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In Micks defence he often comes up with interesting real life subjects which provoke interesting discussions. And, we know who he is, he's not shy of revealing his identity. You get what it says on the tin!
If only other prolific posters did the same thing....

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......