Anyone for Gas?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Anyone for Gas?

Post by francovendee »

There has been a large price rise for gas and all of Europe are facing higher prices. Countries have taken different measures to help the consumer.
What would you suggest the UK does?

Ignore it as the free market has price rises and price cuts.

Subsidise in some way the consumers?

It doesn't help that lack of wind has reduced electricity generated from the wind farms.

All energy use has an impact and maybe gas being more expensive will encourage people to find another source of energy. As I understand we cannot rely on renewable energy just yet. What would you do?

I heat the home with wood, cook with bottled gas and heat the water with electricity. I think I'll stick with this mix for some time.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I've just heard this morning that my firm has gone bust too.
I'm not really worried I don't think anybody is going to lose the money at least on the retail side anyway that's customers?

Well some expert should've seen this coming shouldn't they!
It's not rocket science if the Sun don't shine and the wind don't blow
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What puzzles me, is the lack of foresight regarding "gas".
It's a limited resource .............. as is oil.

We are planning on not selling petrol and diesel cars in the next few years, so why not stop selling gas?
Why not put hydrogen into the existing gas-main?

Some of us can remember the time when cookers and heating appliances changed from coal gas to "natural" gas, so all it needs is the will and the technology to make hydrogen the New Gas.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 2:31pmWhy not put hydrogen into the existing gas-main?

Some of us can remember the time when cookers and heating appliances changed from coal gas to "natural" gas, so all it needs is the will and the technology to make hydrogen the New Gas.
You can probably run a lot of existing equipment at something like 20% hydrogen mixed into the gas. There are pilots testing various versions of that.

Beyond that "... all it needs... " could be reworded as "... replacing just about all of the connected equipment... ". Then there's the minor issue of generating the hydrogen...

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 1:32pmWhat would you suggest the UK does?

Move to renewable sources even more quickly than currently "planned".

Reduce usage even more quickly than currently "planned".

Support "the poorest folk" with redistributive macroeconomic measures,

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

francovendee wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 1:32pm What would you suggest the UK does?

It doesn't help that lack of wind has reduced electricity generated from the wind farms.
Have an oil boiler, as about 4% of the UK has to (if not depending on calor or electricity). Where l live there's no mains gas and no mains sewerage.

Always love the way that there's a huge amount of concern for gas users when there's a price hike but when oil prices fluctuate wildly there's almost no mention of oil users and certainly no planning to help them out. Over the last 15 years l've paid as little as 35p a litre for heating oil and as much as 65p - never seen much concern from anyone about the consumer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Utterly agree!

No mains gas here, and no mains sewerage.
At least we have a water main!

We burn logs (I cut myself from our woods) and anthracite.
At least the logs are (sort of) free, but the coal prices have gone through the roof.
We looked into the oil heating idea some years ago, but the tanker people wouldn't do it as our place isn't on a main road and rather difficult with big heavy vehicles.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ben@Forest wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 3:52pm
francovendee wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 1:32pm What would you suggest the UK does?

Have an oil boiler, as about 4% of the UK has to (if not depending on calor or electricity). Where l live there's no mains gas and no mains sewerage.

Always love the way that there's a huge amount of concern for gas users when there's a price hike but when oil prices fluctuate wildly there's almost no mention of oil users and certainly no planning to help them out. Over the last 15 years l've paid as little as 35p a litre for heating oil and as much as 65p - never seen much concern from anyone about the consumer.
It's all in rural areas for which politicians have no concern. The Tories think they'll always win in rural constituencies and Labour think they never will.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The obvious thing to do would be to take the opportunity to start the move away from gas in ernest, invest in alternatives, promote other choices and encourage households and business to grasp the nettle...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

To move away is going to take at least a couple of decades of concerted effort.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

And what's going to fuel the capture and transport of the hydrogen?

If the government was serious about transition, shouldn't it be guaranteeing higher prices for home generation so that the payback on home solar and wind is less than 20 years? How many here reckon they'll still be in the same home in 20 years or confident that a buyer would pay the difference?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mjr wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 5:15pm
And what's going to fuel the capture and transport of the hydrogen?

If the government was serious about transition, shouldn't it be guaranteeing higher prices for home generation so that the payback on home solar and wind is less than 20 years? How many here reckon they'll still be in the same home in 20 years or confident that a buyer would pay the difference?
I’m not advocating these: just showing an article.
John
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

We've got negligible chance of slowing down the disaster we're creating, due to the fact humanity mainly consists of people who'll go along with the populist narrative sponsored by Exxon and co. To actually make a difference, we'd all need to accept real sacrifice in our lives and only a tiny proportion of humanity would vote for the kind of 'Green Stalin' we'd need to steer us through this. There's absolutely zero chance that the majority could ever be persuaded to think beyond cheap food, fuel, foreign holidays and maybe the occasional minimal, feel-good 'green' gesture, like buying an organic carrot.

I know this is a bleak, defeatist outlook, but it doesn't stop me from behaving and voting as though there were still a chance.