Anyone for Gas?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by 661-Pete »

rjb wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:51pm
francovendee wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:20pm We them all the time I was at home with my parents. I hope the new ones are much improved? The ones I remember were draughty, rattly dangerous things. We had one window break when the sash cords broke. I became quite handy at replacing broken sash cords!
People used to insert rubber wedges into the sash windows to stop them rattling. The less well off used clothes pegs, my mum and dad used cardboard from the fag packets. :(
When the cords broke you would prop them up with a wedged stick. :roll:
Well, I suppose it all helps to stop this sort of thing happening... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 7:48am I had thought that this coming winter I might burn a bit less wood and rely more on gas central heating, but that now looks like being the other way round. I will be having a word with my wood supplier later to see if he has stocks sufficient to meet our needs.

If we are all getting rid of our ICE cars and replacing them with electric ones in a decade or so, having our electricity coming from gas seems a little unwise in the light of recent events, quite apart from greenhouse gas concerns. And a decade isn't much time to reconfigure our electricity supply.

I have that old song going around in my head, There may be trouble ahead...............
Thing is this crisis has been known about for years but the government,and not just this one but by previous ones too,knew but did nothing about it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Two decades - stopping *selling* ICE cars in 2030 (which quite possibly will get pushed back) doesn't stop them being in use for another ten or so
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

So we all get electric cars. What about all the steel from gas fired steel manufacturers?
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 4:16pm What about all the steel from gas fired steel manufacturers?
I'm not aware of any major technological barriers to using hydrogen as the reducing agent, and there are some plants in production and more planned. It's been around for half a century.

The hydrogen can be produced by the usual range of methods with the usual range of carbon dioxide production.

I have no idea how much more expensive it will be.

Jonathan
BagOSpanners

Post by BagOSpanners »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 4:16pm So we all get electric cars. What about all the steel from gas fired steel manufacturers?
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... using-coal
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 4:16pm So we all get electric cars. What about all the steel from gas fired steel manufacturers?
There's plans for a new coal mine in Cumbria said to be able to produce enough coking coal for UK steel manufacture.....
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I know that hydrogen can be used. But (a) will it? and (b) will it produce enough?

In the same way that there is minuscule movement towards insulation, replacing gas boilers, reducing flights…
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mr Cleverley says there is no shortage.

Mr Shapps says he will move heaven and earth to solve it - that thing which doesn’t exist.

It’s like saying there is no famine: it’s just that the food is in the wrong country.

And Mr Johnson is going to U-turn to allow foreign drivers in to solve a problem that isn’t there.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 6:29pm Mr Cleverley says there is no shortage.

Mr Shapps says he will move heaven and earth to solve it - that thing which doesn’t exist.

It’s like saying there is no famine: it’s just that the food is in the wrong country.

And Mr Johnson is going to U-turn to allow foreign drivers in to solve a problem that isn’t there.
Grant Shapps has come up with a plan to get around the driver shortage- ' As of Monday anyone who holds a Cycling Profficiency Certificate will be allowed to drive a heavy goods vehicle'.
Problem solved and we don't need to mention Brex** being partly to blame for driver shortages.

The reality is the employers were quite happy with the low wages, there was nothing to stop them paying higher wages if they'd wanted to
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MoneySavingExpert on failing firms:
Download your energy bills / screenshot credit amounts. When a firm goes bust, websites can go offline, so head to the firm's website as soon as possible and grab the info now, so you have a record of it.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... our-gas-a/

But probably good advice for all of us.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Another three bite the dust:
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-co ... -goes-bust

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

And what about Social Justice? It was quite striking to hear via Radio 4 that those individuals reliant on PAYGO meters, were not automatically covered in respect to moving to a new supplier and so on, when one goes bust. And whilst I haven't read up about it widely, having served at a senior level in managing public sector housing, I'd anticipate this affecting those at the lower end of society.

Of personal interest, as I chose to move into public sector housing ten months ago . And it's fitted with PAYGO meters. Obvious immediately, that gas and electricity prices are substantially higher. Even standing charges are 17.6% higher. And clear from comments on the phone that I was "just" a PAYGO" customer. Had a totally different experience than in the previous 24 years with the same supplier, whilst paying via account. Ten months of attempting to get a response and move over to an account type meter, with up to five hours at a time wasted "on hold" :shock:

Fortunately I've sufficient experience to obtain a response, the utility company having finally recognized that 72 hours ago (Nb. Non stop phone calls, emails and commitments to change the meters etc, etc, etc).

Last edited by gbnz on 1 Oct 2021, 9:23am, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 9:20am And what about Social Justice? It was quite striking to hear via Radio 4 that those individuals reliant on PAYGO meters, were not automatically covered in respect to moving to a new supplier and so on, when one goes bust. And whilst I haven't read up about it widely, having served at a senior level in managing public sector housing, I'd anticipate this affecting those at the lower end of society.
Yes

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 9:22am
gbnz wrote: 1 Oct 2021, 9:20am And what about Social Justice? It was quite striking to hear via Radio 4 that those individuals reliant on PAYGO meters, were not automatically covered in respect to moving to a new supplier and so on, when one goes bust. And whilst I haven't read up about it widely, having served at a senior level in managing public sector housing, I'd anticipate this affecting those at the lower end of society.
Yes

Jonathan
Seconded!
W H Auden