Anyone for Gas?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by Mike Sales »

DevonDamo wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 5:59pm We've got negligible chance of slowing down the disaster we're creating, due to the fact humanity mainly consists of people who'll go along with the populist narrative sponsored by Exxon and co. To actually make a difference, we'd all need to accept real sacrifice in our lives and only a tiny proportion of humanity would vote for the kind of 'Green Stalin' we'd need to steer us through this. There's absolutely zero chance that the majority could ever be persuaded to think beyond cheap food, fuel, foreign holidays and maybe the occasional minimal, feel-good 'green' gesture, like buying an organic carrot.

I know this is a bleak, defeatist outlook, but it doesn't stop me from behaving and voting as though there were still a chance.
Quite, Devon,Damo.
Perhaps if more attention had been paid to the green loons (moderator note: refers to removed post) a decade ago, and less to climate change deniers and the propaganda of big oil, we might be in a better position today.
I first visited the loonies at Machynlleth Centre for Alternative Technology when it was new.
Their wind turbines etc. were obviously ridiculous to the hard headed realists.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why is it still called "natural gas"?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 6:37pm Why is it still called "natural gas"?
It was originally called that in contrast to manufactured gas such as town gas. And the name hasn't changed.

I don't see why it should. It's still natural even if its combustion is so harmful.

Jonathan

PS: Any thoughts on the naming of blue, green, and grey hydrogen?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Gas is burnt to produce 40% of our electricity. More in the winter and less in the summer. Remember the dash for gas in the 1970's which decimated the coal industry and led to the eventual closure of almost all our coal fired power stations. I've been saying on this forum for years the electricity supply network being a critical infrastructure should never have been privatised. The chickens are now coming home to roost, more so now they can't be slaughtered. :x And the greens are keeping quiet about the lack of wind and sunshine. My supplier has gone bust, not the first time its happened to me so I won't be too concerned. Now weres my fork handles. :lol:
If the business secretary had some round things he would have instructed the 2 fertilizer plants to restart to produce CO2 or be nationalised without recompense. :mrgreen:
Last edited by rjb on 20 Sep 2021, 6:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 6:51pmThe chickens are now coming home to roost, more so now they can't be slaughtered.
ISWYDT

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Unfortunately green parties aren't always very consistent thanks to their more radical nimbyish wings.

Decades of opposition to nuclear along with often vociferous opposition to specific renewable energy & sustainable transport projects because building new things inevitably will result in some ecological harm has caused plenty of its own additional CO2 emissions.

GPEW seems to be rather worse for this than many countries but most still have their blind spots.

As for china/india, that's a disingenuous argument but one the oil companies have been very successful in getting people to repeat, there are numerous reasons to rapidly push ahead with non fossil fuel energy even if using the assumption that anthropogenic climate change was a myth. The human & environmental cost of fossil fuels, even ignoring climate change, is huge and much of the consequences of our use is felt in this country and they're the future of energy regardless so might as well be actual 'world leading' about the matter than just buy it off china.
Last edited by Stevek76 on 21 Sep 2021, 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I identify the green loons as the climate activists who seriously disrupt others lives. I think that behavior just alienates large numbers of people who might otherwise be sympathetic and thus detracts from the message they are trying to convey. And if those who criticise the message about the worst climate damaging countries in my earlier post actually read the message instead of issueing thinly veiled unwarranted insults this would be a better place.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

There is a wide variety of groups which could be called green. There is certainly no unified organisation, or agreed agenda.
What they have in common is that they realised decades ago that we were doing unsustainable damage to the environment we depend on.
This understanding is becoming much more widespread, because it has become so apparent.
Unfortunately we have probably, by resisting change, left it too late.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 7:29pm

You mean like the suffragettes did to get you and your good lady the vote?

And the Chartist, the Abolitionists and the campaigners for the factory acts.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It’s obvious. Until China and India and Brazil have it sorted then we shouldn’t bother either.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It’s a funny thing how some are much more troubled by the slight inconvenience of ruining the planet that the massive inconvenience of a protest or a delayed journey.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

It should be clear now, even to the most stupid, that unless we take urgent action, we will all regret it.

"We didnae ken!"
"Well, ye ken the noo."
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

All this endless talk about going green, sustainably this that and the other and so on - the elephant in the room is population size don't you think?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

bikes4two wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 8:48pm All this endless talk about going green, sustainably this that and the other and so on - the elephant in the room is population size don't you think?
Not particularly. And there's certainly no need to run out of food... starvation is consistently decreasing.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 7:32pmUnfortunately we have probably, by resisting change, left it too late.
We are where we are. The future can be made better or worse than it would otherwise be by our decisions and actions.

Jonathan