Calling all 'Baby Boomers', A change in life

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Calling all 'Baby Boomers', A change in life

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 7:58amI did the consultancy and conference stuff for about three years then found my coal face experience was getting a bit remote so I left.
Very wise, and one of the big factors in the tapering off approach as opposed to the clean break. I teach a subject that I used to practise, and it's a lot harder when you're not thinking about it all of the time. And I know that I have to spot the deterioration before anyone else does...

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 8:16am
Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 7:58amI did the consultancy and conference stuff for about three years then found my coal face experience was getting a bit remote so I left.
Very wise, and one of the big factors in the tapering off approach as opposed to the clean break. I teach a subject that I used to practise, and it's a lot harder when you're not thinking about it all of the time. And I know that I have to spot the deterioration before anyone else does...

Jonathan
I have always had the view that it is better to quit when people express surprise than have people implying, “we thought you’d never go”.

I discovered that I was too often wondering what people were talking about! I still get asked occasionally to append my signature to a letter, or to write a letter to either the papers or a minister or official, or very occasionally to contribute to a report or committee response. I increasingly decline the latter. I assume I will soon drop off the radar.
John
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Well there are certainly a lot of constructive, and diverse, comments. I think I’m going to be fine, plenty to keep myself busy, Mrs D will see to that :( :( Here’s my most recent ‘creations’ , hope it has attached properly. I had an empty patch on my layout, on the end of my town scene, that was just crying out for something special. Then I realised it could only be one thing. On my regular rides through Goring, I had long admired the Goring Free Church, so I made a model of it! The most complicated and expensive model I have ever made. As you ride through the town, you will see the side that I have not constructed (because the edge of the layout goes diagonally through the middle of the building. Having pored over google earth, I called on the vicar and he was very cooperative, I took loads of photos, got the dimensions from counting bricks. The model is constructed from white card covered in brick paper. The glazing is acetate window sheets from kits. The spire (very proud of that bit) is brass wire bits shaped and soldered together. If anytime you find yourself between Reading and Wallingford, go and take a look at it.

I have also recently been admiring the shops and higglydy-piggledy rooflines that face the road going through Wallingford, where the traffic lights are after crossing the Thames. Recreating that would be a massive job 😀
Attachments
6E7A5184-34F4-4D5C-B33E-B5FBB77B5ED0.jpeg
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

thirdcrank wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 2:49pm
viewtopic.php?p=14472#p14472

That thread shows how much more fun the old, unmoderated forum gave us all.
How did you manage to access that? I'd love to read the primus clip thread that is referred to here from time to time. :D
jb

Post by jb »

'Gar' - haven't heard that name for a decade or so, he was certainly one on his own - hope his leg got better.
Cheers
J Bro
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

AlanD wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 11:07am Good morning all. I would like to address all the 'Baby Boomers' and 'Young at heart' among you, on a subject that affects us all in our lives. And no, it does not involve little blue pills.

There is an aspect of professional life that I would like to explore, but which I have never seen discussed; that of preparation for end of working life and entry into retirement.

I enjoy my career, it is probably the best job that I have ever had. Yet retirement is now only months away and I am not sure how I am going to deal with it? I am not speaking of pension or money and do not need financial advice.

I am a professional engineer and a member of the IET. Without an employer to pay for it, my membership will probably be allowed to lapse, so also my Union membership. Will I have need for them when I am no longer working?

Thanks to Covid, I have been working at home for 18 months now and devoid of face to face contact with my peers in the office; Teams is a poor substitute. This has shown me that knocking around the house all day and being under The Wife's feet brings it's tensions. I had considered delaying retirement, just to continue working and give me that 'sense of direction' ; but as The Wife correctly points out, our health is not guaranteed and I need to slow down so that we can enjoy our time together.

But how do I prepare for change? Sitting on committees, taking up golf or standing behind the counter of a charity shop are not for me. I have done school mentoring, Cubs and amateur dramatics. I have my interests, I am an avid Model Railway enthusiast and live where there are no shortage of beautiful places to explore on my bike, but I cannot do that all of the time. The thought of endless box sets sounds like slow death. We will not be having any more pets.

A few years back, I attended a 1-day course at work on retirement. All it covered was pension options and money. Very important, but not what I wanted to hear.
Recently, I went along to a men's social gathering from a neighbouring church, my own church is too small for such things. Good to meet others, but I didn't feel that it fitted well with where I am.
Similarly, I visited a 'Men in Shed' group. Thanks to Covid, there were only 2 members braving it, so there was little to go on.
Being on the Autistic Spectrum, I have Aspergers, I don't really have friends and find it difficult to connect with others.

So I would be very interested in hearing from others who are about to, or have already taken this step into a new life. How do you cope with it? What gets you out of bed in the morning? Where is your focus? How do you keep body and mind active? Additionally, I think that it is too easy to be defined in terms of what we do, this is a trait that I have particularly seen by men in groups; when meeting someone "what do you do" is one of the first questions as we seek to define each other in terms of our professions. Do you feel that your identity is affected by this change? What has stopped your partner from killing you?

I would appreciate your thoughts, serious or humorous, but always helpful. Thank you

If you want to keep some engineering bent in your life then consider doing some work with https://www.remap.org.uk ?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I do think that volunteering is worth considering. It's not all about committees. You've mentioned Cubs, where face-to-face work with the Cubs or practical work maintaining a local campsite are just two of the possibilities. Churches, which you also mention, are also crying out for people with an engineering bent to help with the property, not to mention face-to-face work in all sorts of areas. The IET, for which I used to work, and the National Autistic Society, where I now do, both have local branches. All these will have committees for you to avoid :wink: , but they also have all sorts of activities that need people to make them happen.

The newly retired have time and skills to share that others need, and if you don't want to be pigeon-holed as the engineer who mends things, offer for something different. Most of the recently-retired I know don't know how they found the time for paid employment. I'm not far away from your stage myself.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mick F wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 3:31pm Said it before, I think the only survivors on here, are me, R2 and TC.
Willing to be corrected.
I go back to at least April 2006:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2231&p=12922&hilit=toe+clips#p12922

as do axel-knutt and drossall AFAIK.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jb

Post by jb »

The old bullet board was so much more fun :wink:
Cheers
J Bro
horizon

Post by horizon »

AlanD wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 11:07am
There is an aspect of professional life that I would like to explore, but which I have never seen discussed; that of preparation for end of working life and entry into retirement.

I would appreciate your thoughts, serious or humorous, but always helpful. Thank you
Further suggested reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%27s_S ... or_Meaning
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logotherapy

I'm not suggesting that retirement is like life in a concentration camp but these things are relative. It may be too that retirement is like life after being in a concentration camp and as difficult in some ways to deal with.

This was also illuminating:
https://www.realtimeperformance.com/5-l ... r-meaning/
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have been fly fishing, off and on, for over 40 years. Yesterday, for the first time ever, I had to buy a licence. Reluctant doesn’t do my feelings justice.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 8:07am I have been fly fishing, off and on, for over 40 years. Yesterday, for the first time ever, I had to buy a licence.
What changed, please?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 14 Oct 2021, 9:26am, edited 1 time in total.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Maybe more water bailiffs? :lol:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I moved house. No licence needed on the River Tweed or it’s tributaries and most of the still water I fished.

It’s only £20 but irksome.
John
jb

Post by jb »

I heard you can take one fish from anywhere in Scotland as long as its for your own consumption.
Not sure if that is right.
Cheers
J Bro