Words-worth, or not?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Words-worth, or not?

Post by Jdsk »

The term of interest is a Karen rather than Karen.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 2:10am I’m afraid that this post reminds me of the annual “news” item we get telling us that saying “Happy Christmas” has been banned. It is simply a complete distortion of the reality.
It's beginning to look a lot like Winterval...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterval

; - )

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Tangled Metal wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 6:40am if OFCOM put out a diktat
It's not a diktat though, it's their regular (annual?) report setting out the results of what they've surveyed contemporary public opinion to be regarding potentially offensive words. This is, of course, required since social norms change and it's of benefit to the broadcasters to have a consistent measure of how offensive various terms are.

As it is, the political playground insults of snowflake, gammon and the like were only found to be mildly offensive (though I would not be surprised if there was a significant portion of people for each word who'd not even heard of it in the context that was being investigated - this sort of stuff doesn't get anywhere near the cut through outside of politically interested social media that those inside that bubble usually think).
Jdsk wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:18am
Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 2:10am I’m afraid that this post reminds me of the annual “news” item we get telling us that saying “Happy Christmas” has been banned. It is simply a complete distortion of the reality.
There's a manufactured outrage calendar that goes around at times. I think we're still in 'ealth and safety have banned conkers' season.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stevek76 wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:04am
Jdsk wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 8:18am
There's a manufactured outrage calendar that goes around at times. I think we're still in 'ealth and safety have banned conkers' season.
Does English need a new word... prepared to be outraged and just waiting for the trigger event: please, someone... ?

Jonathan