Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No?

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:30am
Jdsk wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:14am
francovendee wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:12am I heard this from Professor Neil Professor today.
He expects the new variant to be the dominant strain by Christmas. He believes it's more likely to bypass the vaccines and more will have a mild illness but at present it seems the vaccine continues to offer protection from becoming seriously ill.
There may be more people who are asymptomatic.
Neil Ferguson? Where has he said that the new variant will "bypass" the vaccine, please?
Broadcast on the Today programme on Radio 4. Not sure if it was recorded or live.
Thanks.

And he used the word "bypass"? I don't know what that would mean...

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:12am I heard this from Professor Neil Professor today.
He expects the new variant to be the dominant strain by Christmas. He believes it's more likely to bypass the vaccines and more will have a mild illness but at present it seems the vaccine continues to offer protection from becoming seriously ill.
Neil Ferguson? Where has he said that the new variant will "bypass" the vaccine, please?
"More likely" is not "will".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:33am
Broadcast on the Today programme on Radio 4. Not sure if it was recorded or live.
Thanks.

Jonathan
My words not his. Perhaps more likely than will.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:54am
"More likely" is not "will".
Thanks for the correction.

I don't know what "bypass" means. Is it that the protection offered by the vaccine is less than it is for previous variants?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 10:06am
francovendee wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:30am Broadcast on the Today programme on Radio 4. Not sure if it was recorded or live.
Thanks.

My words not his. Perhaps more likely than will.
I think it's me that used the wrong verb. Sorry.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Is it this:

He (Ferguson) said data on the evasion of vaccines was preliminary but pointed to a study in South Africa that said “this virus Omicron can evade immunity antibodies generated against the very original Chinese strain of the virus better than any variant we’ve seen so far”.

Thanks

Jonathan
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

:wink:
Thanks.

Jonathan
BYPASS.
VERB
go past or round.

synonyms:
go round · go past · make a detour round · pass round · avoid · keep out of · don't go near
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 10:53am :wink:
francovendee wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:30am Broadcast on the Today programme on Radio 4. Not sure if it was recorded or live.
Thanks.
BYPASS.
VERB
go past or round.

synonyms:
go round · go past · make a detour round · pass round · avoid · keep out of · don't go near
What does bypass a vaccine mean? It seems to imply never making contact (with a vaccinated person). That's quite different from making contact and being unaffected, or being less affected than another variant would have been.

Jonathan
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 10:57am
PDQ Mobile wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 10:53am :wink:
Thanks.
BYPASS.
VERB
go past or round.

synonyms:
What does bypass a vaccine mean? It seems to imply never making contact (with a vaccinated person). That's quite different from making contact and being unaffected, or being less affected than another variant would have been.

Jonathan
You know full well what it means in this context.

It's a transferable term like so very much in human language.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm now guessing that it was a reference to the studies of neutralising antibodies rather than to any effects in the population. And specifically not that current vaccines won't protect against serious illness and death.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/india/serum-india-covishield-vaccine-production-b1971992.html wrote:World’s largest vaccine maker says it is slashing production by half until it receives more orders
Serum Institute of India (SII), the world’s largest vaccine producer, has said it will halve its production of AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccines from next week because it doesn’t have enough orders, either from India or other governments.
The falling demand for vaccines in India comes as a surprise because the country has only managed to fully vaccinate 35 per cent of its massive 1.4 billion population so far. If only the adult population is considered, only a little more than 50 per cent have been fully vaccinated, indicating that India still has a long way to go.
With so much of the world not vaccinated is this because so many countries cannot afford the vaccines (that I thought were "at cost" for many countries) or vaccine hesitancy limited demand.

Ian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Just had my 3rd pfizer -- no ill effects as yet.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just reading the BBC News website.

I quote.
From Friday 10 December, face coverings will be mandatory for most indoor public venues including places of worship .....................
............................ Masks will still not be needed in hospitality settings such as pubs or restaurants, nor in venues where it is "not practical to wear them" (for instance, where exercise or singing takes place).
This means, you wear a mask going into church and when praying etc, but you take them off when you sing the hymns, then put them back on again afterwards.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

We've had masks on at church throughout, it's a simple and effective measure (I've not been in, live stream has continued as well, which is even more effective)
You can sing in a mask.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 11:23pm We've had masks on at church throughout, it's a simple and effective measure (I've not been in, live stream has continued as well, which is even more effective)
You can sing in a mask.
Regrettably, some of us can't really sing, with or without a mask :lol: