Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No?

Post by Psamathe »

gbnz wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 1:29pm Should Covid now be ignored? Or time to start taking it seriously again?

Have to admit that whilst I've never been in a panic about Covid, I'd always taken "precautions". But aware that as a Radio 4 listener, there was a good chance that I'd still be under the impression the world was coming to an end due to Covid, months after everyone else had forgotten about it. Is it time to forget about it?
Just published (Independent)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-increase-cases-lockdown-uk-b1940530.html wrote:The UK has recorded nearly 50,000 new coronavirus infections, marking the largest daily rise since lockdown rules ended in England three months ago.

For the sixth consecutive day, more than 40,000 new cases of Covid-19 were reported, amounting to 49,156 new infections tallied on Monday.

The rise on Monday brought new daily cases even closer to the upper levels seen during the summer wave of infections, which peaked just below 55,000 on 17 July.
Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Just had a text inviting me to book my booster jab. Have booked for 4 November. My six month interval ends next week.
John
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Not been offered a booster but doubt I'd bother.Offered my 'flu jab but I never bother with that either.
My 14 year old had his fist jab last Thursday.Knocked him for 6 for a couple of days :|
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hellhound wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:04pm Not been offered a booster but doubt I'd bother.
Please do. It will probably reduce the chance of you transmitting the virus to others.

Thanks

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:06pm
Hellhound wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:04pm Not been offered a booster but doubt I'd bother.
Please do. It will probably reduce the chance of you transmitting the virus to others.
Thanks
Jonathan
How so?
Someone who's double jabbed can still get it and pass it on so why would a booster make any difference.From what we're told most adults are vaccinated now anyway?
Isn't that why we were told to decline the booster so it could be sent to a Country who were short on vaccines?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Jdsk wrote:

Thanks

Jonathan
Or adding to the burden upon the NHS in event of becoming infected.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Oldjohnw wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 6:29pm Just had a text inviting me to book my booster jab. Have booked for 4 November. My six month interval ends next week.
And just last night I was looking to see if I could "ask" for a booster. Not allowed, as I don't meet the criteria, though I'm only 4 weeks away from the end of the six month interval.

Suppose I'll have to merely continue travelling up to several hours a day by bus on my disabled bus pass, hoping I don't catch the disease. Can't say fantastical hand washing, masks & mask washing, opening bus windows within seconds being on the bus or whatever makes the slightest difference in respect to colds caught, so I presume covid will be the same
rjb

Post by rjb »

My 6 month period has passed since my 2nd jab but I checked and I too do not meet the criteria for a booster. Looks like I may have to wait 6 more weeks until I turn 3 score and ten. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
slowster

Post by slowster »

rjb wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 8:09pm My 6 month period has passed since my 2nd jab but I checked and I too do not meet the criteria for a booster. Looks like I may have to wait 6 more weeks until I turn 3 score and ten. :(
From https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... r-vaccine/:
Booster vaccine doses will be available on the NHS for people most at risk from COVID-19 who have had a 2nd dose of a vaccine at least 6 months ago.

This includes:

people aged 50 and over
people who live and work in care homes
frontline health and social care workers
people aged 16 and over with a health condition that puts them at high risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19
people aged 16 and over who are a main carer for someone at high risk from COVID-19
people aged 16 and over who live with someone who is more likely to get infections (such as someone who has HIV, has had a transplant or is having certain treatments for cancer, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis)

People who are pregnant and in 1 of the eligible groups can also get a booster dose.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

There are more cases of Covid now than here were this time last year. Fortunately and thankfully, vaccinations are limiting the impact at present.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/covid-19/9544 ... newsletter
John
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Syd wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 7:22pm
Jdsk wrote:
Thanks
Jonathan
So you're saying that having the original 2 doses of the vaccine is a waste of time?
That is not what we were lead to believe by the Govt and their advisors!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Hellhound wrote:
Jdsk wrote: Please do. It will probably reduce the chance of you transmitting the virus to others.
Thanks
Jonathan
So you're saying that having the original 2 doses of the vaccine is a waste of time?
Where did I say it was a waste of time?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Syd wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:32am
Hellhound wrote:
Where did I say it was a waste of time?
You stated 'becoming infected and a burden on the NHS' this implies that the first two vaccines don't work.Or don't work as well as we were lead to believe?
Please clarify.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Hellhound wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:24am
Jdsk wrote: Please do. It will probably reduce the chance of you transmitting the virus to others.
Thanks
Jonathan
As the relatively modest number of deaths involving Covid recently confirm, the vaccines have made it possible for us to live relatively normally, without lockdown, but without our hospitals being completely over-run. The vaccines have enabled a return to something like normality. But the benefit of vaccines fades over time. If having a booster reduces pressure on the NHS, enabling it to get on with other vital work, isn't that something to consider? Along with having the flu jab.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mrs H & I both had texts to invite us to book for boosters. Mrs H had hers yesterday (& has a sore arm but otherwise no ill effects so far) mine is booked for tomorrow.

We both had our flu jabs at the beginning of the month. Having had proper flu a couple of times (rather than just a bad cold/other virus that people tend to call flu) I've no desire to repeat the experience if at all possible. As I am eligible for the jab it seems like a "no brainer".
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.