Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No?

Post by gbnz »

RickH wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 11:28am . As I am eligible for the jab it seems like a "no brainer".
+ 1. Had my flu job in September. Not clear why I was eligible, but it seemed like a "no brainer!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

They are doing both jags together here, right arm flu, left arm covid, saves on visits I suppose. Had mine over a week ago and 24 hours later I was in bed with a temperature of 102. Recovered a couple of days later but it does give me a little doubt thought is it good for me? :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Syd

Post by Syd »

Hellhound wrote:
Syd wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 10:32am
Hellhound wrote: So you're saying that having the original 2 doses of the vaccine is a waste of time?
That is not what we were lead to believe by the Govt and their advisors!
Where did I say it was a waste of time?
You stated 'becoming infected and a burden on the NHS' this implies that the first two vaccines don't work.Or don't work as well as we were lead to believe?
Please clarify.
It implies nothing of the sort.

It is well known that:

1. Immunity diminishes over time
2. Vaccines aren’t 100% effective
3. The COVID vaccine had reduced the number of hospital admissions in event of people becoming infected
4. The vaccine does not prevent someone transmitting it to others.

What is less clear is how quickly the immunity given by the vaccine diminishes and therefore a booker is now being offered to certain groups.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Syd wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 12:58pm
It is well known that:
3. The COVID vaccine had reduced the number of hospital admissions in event of people becoming infected
What is less clear is how quickly the immunity given by the vaccine diminishes and therefore a booker is now being offered to certain groups.
Well thank you.That is news to me.I don't recall being told any of this.I realise this govt are a liability and regularly lie about just about anything but their stance always seemed to be 'get double-jabbed to get back to normal'.I don't recal them ever stating that the vaccine will just be a temporary fix?
Re point 4.If the others you transmit it to are double-jabbed,and we are lead to believe that is a large portion of the population now,what difference does it make.They're protected no?
Also if the immunity of vaccines diminishes over time why are we not being revaccinated for mumps/measles/meningitis etc,etc.I was last vaccinated against them around 45 years ago!
If this wasn't confusing before it most certainly is now.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Hellhound wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 1:31pm
It is well known that:
Well thank you.That is news to me.I don't recall being told any of this.I realise this govt are a liability and regularly lie about just about anything but their stance always seemed to be 'get double-jabbed to get back to normal'.I don't recal them ever stating that the vaccine will just be a temporary fix?
Re point 4.If the others you transmit it to are double-jabbed,and we are lead to believe that is a large portion of the population now,what difference does it make.They're protected no?
Also if the immunity of vaccines diminishes over time why are we not being revaccinated for mumps/measles/meningitis etc,etc.I was last vaccinated against them around 45 years ago!
If this wasn't confusing before it most certainly is now.
You must have been listening to the wrong stuff. From the very beginning Chris Whitty and the like have been talking about how we will have to gather data to inform us on how long the vaccines will remain sufficiently effective, and if / when a booster will be a good idea. That has been a point of discussion in Government briefings ever since the vaccines first made an appearance. Another constant point of discussion has been whether the booster should be tweaked to take account of new variants. And there is nothing new in any of this. Have you ever had a tetanus jab? I've had quite a few over the years.

The nearest equivalent to a Covid jab that we are already used to is the flu jab, and that is annual.
Last edited by pwa on 19 Oct 2021, 2:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Different vaccines behave differently - in this instance we need boosters (as we do for tetanus, although those are fairly infrequent, and often skipped)

In this case we know that the immune response diminishes post contact (whether through infection or vaccination), and so an additional contact is beneficial.

I would have hoped that no one would believe the government when they say “double jab and back to normal”.

There is still a pandemic, and masks should still be mandated in public indoor spaces at least.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

pwa wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 2:00pm You must have been listening to the wrong stuff. From the very beginning Chris Whitty and the like have been talking about how we will have to gather data to inform us on how long the vaccines will remain sufficiently effective, and if / when a booster will be a good idea. That has been a point of discussion in Government briefings ever since the vaccines first made an appearance. Another constant point of discussion has been whether the booster should be tweaked to take account of new variants. And there is nothing new in any of this. Have you ever had a tetanus jab? I've had quite a few over the years.
The nearest equivalent to a Covid jab that we are already used to is the flu jab, and that is annual.
From what I saw Witty couldn't make his mind up from one day to the next so I stopped watching any of the briefings well over a year ago now.I did what was asked,as I am sure 1000s did,and now it appears they have decided to move the goal posts.I had the two required vaccinations,did the self-isolating and mask wearing and for me it's time to move on.

The flu jab is voluntary if you are the age to qualify.They have made the Covid jab all but compulsory by introducing the so called Covid passport not that I've been asked to prove I've had the vaccine yet.If I could go back 8 months I wouldn't have bothered.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The science was always developing. That is science as opposed to religion. But it is well known and always has been that the jab was not perpetual immunity.
John
Syd

Post by Syd »

Listening to the wrong stuff? Really?

I’ve been reading the regular briefs supplied to me both in my job within a health board and from Scottish Government.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hellhound wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 4:01pmFrom what I saw Witty couldn't make his mind up from one day to the next so I stopped watching any of the briefings well over a year ago now.I did what was asked,as I am sure 1000s did,and now it appears they have decided to move the goal posts.I had the two required vaccinations,did the self-isolating and mask wearing and for me it's time to move on.
I don't understand that.

Do you think that the third dose of vaccine will decrease the chance of you being infected?

Do you think that the third dose of vaccine will decrease the chance of you infecting other people?

Thanks

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Hellhound wrote:
It is well known that:
'.I don't recal them ever stating that the vaccine will just be a temporary fix?
Again I have not said or implied that.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 4:31pm The science was always developing. That is science as opposed to religion. But it is well known and always has been that the jab was not perpetual immunity.
Vaccine effectiveness and longevity seems continually subject to research and is updated based on findings. When I first started having to have rabies vaccinations, after the initial course I was booster every 3-5 years. This has now been extended to every 10 years. Similar with Yellow Fever; I lost my Yellow Fever vaccination certificate from 1st time I got it (many years ago) so had to be re-vaccinated to get the certificate. But I delayed getting the vaccination as the validity was imminently changing up to "for life" rather than requiring boosters.

I'm sure that booster intervals will be continually changing based on continually acquired knowledge (as well as virus variants). And I see the changes as something positive (provided politicians stay out of the decision process beyond rubber stamping stuff).

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hellhound wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 4:01pm I had the two required vaccinations, did the self-isolating and mask wearing and for me it's time to move on.
You can't just "move on" until the pandemic is over... and it's not over, not anywhere near.
The fact that it's not in the news doesn't stop it still being a serious health crisis, and one that has been badly bungled.

The steps you take (which include the vaccinations you have had, thank you) protect everyone, and the cost of wearing a mask is in almost all cases absolutely naff all.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There are currently over 100 people dying in the UK from Covid!
Why are the government acting as if the pandemic is over or at least that the country's out of danger?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 7:51pm ....
The steps you take (which include the vaccinations you have had, thank you) protect everyone, and the cost of wearing a mask is in almost all cases absolutely naff all.
Dropping the mask wearing is something I just can't understand; makes no sense to me. I dislike wearing a mask but it's hardly a massive issue given the impacts of Covid.

But, I have visited a supermarket a couple of times since all NPIs were discarded and was pleasantly reassured that mask wearing was still widespread (the majority of people still wearing masks). I was surprised the checkout staff were not and their job puts them at higher risk - lot of people despite the screens.

Ian