Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No?

Post by reohn2 »

gbnz wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 2:42pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 9:32am The government has said they are not moving to Plan B. Which presumably means they are but, as ever, late.
Suppose at a certainl level, one's personal actions are of greater importance. Just as the lower socio economic groupings tend to be over represented in covid hospitalisations/deaths, they tend to die of cigarette, alcohol and junk food use, due to personal choice.
In a life of drudgery with no way out those "socio economic groupings" are surrounded by affluence everytime they step on the street or by moronic social and other media forms,anything that dulls the pain helps however damaging it may be in the long run.
Add to that poor education and you have the current situation.
So one's personal actions matter. Suppose it's time to return to a "covid" approach I.e. give the shops, buses, trains and town a miss, take a booster shot asap, take a booster shot asap
Agreed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 2:42pm Suppose at a certainl level, one's personal actions are of greater importance. Just as the lower socio economic groupings tend to be over represented in covid hospitalisations/deaths, they tend to die of cigarette, alcohol and junk food use, due to personal choice.
The increased hospitalisations and deaths from COVID (or from anything else) associated with lower socio-economic status are not only due to choices that we make as individual adults.

Jonathan
slowster

Post by slowster »

gbnz wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 2:42pm Suppose at a certainl level, one's personal actions are of greater importance. Just as the lower socio economic groupings tend to be over represented in covid hospitalisations/deaths, they tend to die of cigarette, alcohol and junk food use, due to personal choice.
You seem to be implying that the higher percentage of of hospitalisations and deaths of lower socio economic groupings due to Covid is a matter of personal lifestyle choices. Covid related risk factors associated with being in a lower socio economic group do not all involve personal choice, e.g. living in high density urban housing/over-crowded accommodation and working in low paid employment sectors where there are higher risks and rates of transmission, such as in parts of the food industry.

At the beginning of the Covid outbreak it was noticed that the mortality rate in some ethnic groups was higher than the average. The initial suspicion that the cause might be genetic was determined to be wrong, and the actual causes were determined to be factors like housing and employment.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Javid is giving a Press Conference at 17.00 today.

And many people have to travel on buses and trains and go into offices and shops and factories and warehouses.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Just seen the 7 day average death rate which gives over 60,000 death per year (at the current rate)!

Ian
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Four weeks and I'll be eligible for a Covid booster. But a quick review of evidence/personal responsibility? Rather suggests that 47 No. 2-5 hour bus journeys during October to date, may have increased my risk and should be reduced :shock:
Last edited by gbnz on 21 Oct 2021, 8:42am, edited 3 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 6:06pm Just seen the 7 day average death rate which gives over 60,000 death per year (at the current rate)!

Ian
Which isn't a good statistic going into winter.
Yet this idiotic government won't imposed restrictions to help both the NHS and the population.
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

The measures that health professionals call for but resisted by the government will end up being put in place but far too late.
Mask wearing is a simple thing to do and it shouldn't be left to choice.
A chum just had a trip to London and tells me that around 90% of bus passengers weren't wearing a mask.
As I understand it wearing a mask doesn't give the wearer much protection but prevents infected people passing it on. Not 100% but certainly a lot.
I'm all for freedom and if wearing a mask gave the wearer protection then I'd see the point of leaving it to personal choice butb it doesn't and should be mandatory.
I heard surveys that say 85% of people want mask wearing in crowded places made compulsory.
If this is a fact then what group has so much influence over government policy?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

francovendee wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 8:13am If this is a fact then what group has so much influence over government policy?
As just discussed on the Today program, perhaps it's the CONSERVATIVE party have the influence? The presenter was close to laughing as he discussed the issue with I believe the Health Minister, highlighting the rationale for the current gvt failure to follow science/medical advice
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I'm getting a sense of "deja vue" from this - we seem to going through the same "go to the pub" - "don't go to the pub" , "wear a mask" -"don't wear a mask" dithering about lockdown that we had in March 2020.
Now it's when or if to introduce plan B - meanwhile the figures aren't looking good.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ANTONISH wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 9:53am I'm getting a sense of "deja vue" from this - we seem to going through the same "go to the pub" - "don't go to the pub" , "wear a mask" -"don't wear a mask" dithering about lockdown that we had in March 2020.
Now it's when or if to introduce plan B - meanwhile the figures aren't looking good.
You mean there is a plan?
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The message I’m getting from U.K. Gov is it’s all your fault if you catch it. They urge you to get vaccinated and have a booster. The fact that everyone I know in England is still waiting for a booster but it’s obviously their fault because they haven’t had it.
I suspect the initial rollout was successful due to an army of volunteers. The system, up here certainly, now looks like staff only and because of that less slick. Got mine a couple of weeks ago and the throughput was, I reckon, a tenth of the original effort.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

reohn2 wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 10:33am
ANTONISH wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 9:53am I'm getting a sense of "deja vue" from this - we seem to going through the same "go to the pub" - "don't go to the pub" , "wear a mask" -"don't wear a mask" dithering about lockdown that we had in March 2020.
You mean there is a plan?
Yes - just not as we know it.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Well I checked today and I am now eligible for the booster, last week I wasn't despite being over the 6 month interval by a few days. Tried to book but the nearest centre offered was 20 miles away. The local ones in town and on my bus route were not available. There appears to be a rush going on at the moment. Levels of covid in the West country area are the highest in the country after they discovered 45000 incorrect PCR all clear tests. Looks like they are only offering slots up to 5 days ahead. I will try again next week after the half term rush. They are just offering it to younger age groups and suggesting that the 6 month interval between jabs is reduced to 5. This will put a lot of pressure on the jabbers. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 10:58am ...
I suspect the initial rollout was successful due to an army of volunteers....
I wonder if another factor might have been that were were in restrictive measures and vaccination was "the (only) way out". Now we are "pandemic over" (general boosterism from our leader) so not the same motivation amongst public.

Ian