Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No?

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 8:13am ....
I heard surveys that say 85% of people want mask wearing in crowded places made compulsory.
If this is a fact then what group has so much influence over government policy?
Relevant statistic is the number of Conservative backbench MPs (as they keep Johnson in power).

Ian
RickH

Post by RickH »

rjb wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 12:06pm Well I checked today and I am now eligible for the booster, last week I wasn't despite being over the 6 month interval by a few days. Tried to book but the nearest centre offered was 20 miles away. The local ones in town and on my bus route were not available. There appears to be a rush going on at the moment. Levels of covid in the West country area are the highest in the country after they discovered 45000 incorrect PCR all clear tests. Looks like they are only offering slots up to 5 days ahead. I will try again next week after the half term rush. They are just offering it to younger age groups and suggesting that the 6 month interval between jabs is reduced to 5. This will put a lot of pressure on the jabbers. :(
The precise criteria when I booked mine were 6 months & 1 week (189 days) after your 2nd jab.

IIRC although it only gave 5 days, I think there was a (not too obvious) link below them to show more dates. Some places are accepting "walk ins" too, at least at certain times.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Psamathe wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 12:19pm
I heard surveys that say 85% of people want mask wearing in crowded places made compulsory.
Relevant statistic is the number of Conservative backbench MPs (as they keep Johnson in power).

Ian
Or rather the number of Conservative MPs (front benchers as well as back benchers) who feel their career prospects are best served by continuing to back him.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Here in Wales we still have some of the measures that would be part of Plan B if it were to be activated in England, and they ain't working. We have compulsory mask wearing in shops, some other public indoor spaces and on public transport, but Covid rates are still very high. Don't expect a big improvement if compulsory mask wearing in some venues is brought back in England.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

reohn2 wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 8:41pm Hellbound
What do you mean by moving on?
Read into it what you will.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Hellhound wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 6:39pm
The whole point of the vaccines is that they allow us to move on. Why give up at this point? It is because of the vaccines that pubs are now open, kids are mostly in school and people are moving about freely. But there is still work to be done if we are to get through the winter without too much disruption. We want hospitals to be freed to deal with the backlog of hip replacements, cancer treatment etc. That would be "moving on". If we allow antibody levels to drop too far we will slip back into needing lockdowns and having to postpone operations. So let's get whatever jabs are offered so that we can move on.

Declining a booster when offered doesn't sound like moving on. It sounds like standing still and waiting for Covid to catch up with you. Why be so passive when you don't have to?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hellhound wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 6:39pm
It was a simple question,your answer appears to be a cop out :?

FWIW there's no "moving on" until this virus is dead or humanity has immunity,and there's certainly NO "moving on" for the NHS dealing with the fallout fromnit,whether it be in treatment of sufferers from it or the backlock of necessary treatment for those suffering from other illnesses and conditions some of which PWA outlines above.

AFAICS soem people are acting like children fed with playing a certain game.
Only the 'game' is of necessary protection and restrictions whether it be the vaccine,mask wearing or other precautions against the pandemic,precaustions that could mean life or death to any of us or the collapse of the NHS under the strain of life on the edge!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Not a cop out at all.
I am not playing this game anymore.There is no point to it.Those that want to can carry on but I'm moving on and getting on with my life.It's here,like many other virus,so that's it.Live with it.
The Govt are bored with it,the media are bored with it as it's not killing enough to be news worthy and I'm bored with it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hellhound wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 11:21pm Not a cop out at all.
I am not playing this game anymore.There is no point to it.Those that want to can carry on but I'm moving on and getting on with my life.It's here,like many other virus,so that's it.Live with it.
The Govt are bored with it,the media are bored with it as it's not killing enough to be news worthy and I'm bored with it.
Suit your selfish self then,but I'd bet the 120 people who died per day last week aren't bored anymore.
It's a sorry sad day when boredom overcomes sense and protection of others by such simple and effective means.
Last edited by reohn2 on 24 Oct 2021, 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

thirdcrank wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 1:35pm
Psamathe wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 12:19pm

Ian
Or rather the number of Conservative MPs (front benchers as well as back benchers) who feel their career prospects are best served by continuing to back him.
Not to mention offshore bank accounts.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 10:10am
Suit your selfish self then,but I'd bet the 120 people who died last week aren't bored anymore.
It's a sorry sad day when boredom overcomes sense and protection of others by such simple and effective means.
Selfish?
Putting your life in limbo for 20 months is hardly selfish.
It is time to go forward.People will always die from one thing or another.'Flu kills 1000s every year.Covid will happily sit alongside Flu and continue to take people whatever we do.It will not be the last virus to pop up and do so either.
Sorry to break this to you but if that's your way of thinking there's a heck of a lot of selfish people on these Islands :roll:

120 may have died yesterday but almost 2000 were born and the best part of 65,000,000 in the UK survived.

Time to move on.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hellhound wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 11:08am
Suit your selfish self then,but I'd bet the 120 people who died last week aren't bored anymore.
Selfish?
It is time to go forward.People will always die from one thing or another.'Flu kills 1000s every year.Covid will happily sit alongside Flu and continue to take people whatever we do.It will not be the last virus to pop up and do so either.
Sorry to break this to you but if that's your way of thinking there's a heck of a lot of selfish people on these Islands :roll:

120 may have died yesterday but almost 2000 were born and the best part of 65,000,000 in the UK survived.

Time to move on.
I hate to break it to you but with small changes to our daily life can avoid many of those 120 deaths per day,but of course you know that but choose not to 'play' the game because you're bored with it,so you're prepared to put other people's lives at risk and the NHS under more strain than needs be,clever lad aren't you:?

I know there's a lot of selfish people on these islands,that's why the country is in the sorry sad state it's in and a world wide laughing stock,with rising death rates from the virus due to a governement not fit to run the proverbial in a brewery!
Last edited by reohn2 on 24 Oct 2021, 3:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 11:17am

Selfish?

Time to move on.
I hare to break it to you but with small changes to our daily life can avoid many of those 120 per week deaths,but of course you know that but choose not to play the 'game' because you're bored with it so you'll put other people's lives ar risk and the NHS under more strain than needs be :?

I know there's a lot of selfish people on these islands,that's why the country is in the sorry sad state it's in and a world wide laughing stock,with rising death rates from the virus due to a governement not fit to run the proverbial in a brewery!
You need to let this go.
When will you be happy to draw a line under it?
I get the impression,correct me if I'm wrong,that you won't be happy until there are zero deaths?
Well that aint going to happen I'm afraid.As with any virus or disease there has to be a figure that is 'acceptable'.For me that figure was reached months ago.The tiny amount that are currently dying,and it is tiny,is more than acceptable.
If I were you I'd just enjoy whatever time you have left as it will pass quicker than you would like.

PS.
You have made your views on the Government well known,both before and after your hiatus,but there is no need to shoe-horn it into every possible thread.I hate the Tories more than most but even I am finding this a little tiresome!

PPS.
This concludes my conversation with you on this particular thread.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Hellhound wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 11:29am
reohn2 wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 11:17am
Selfish?

Time to move on.
I hare to break it to you but with small changes to our daily life can avoid many of those 120 per week deaths,but of course you know that but choose not to play the 'game' because you're bored with it so you'll put other people's lives ar risk and the NHS under more strain than needs be :?

You need to let this go.
When will you be happy to draw a line under it?
I get the impression,correct me if I'm wrong,that you won't be happy until there are zero deaths?
Well that aint going to happen I'm afraid.As with any virus or disease there has to be a figure that is 'acceptable'.For me that figure was reached months ago.The tiny amount that are currently dying,and it is tiny,is more than acceptable.
If I were you I'd just enjoy whatever time you have left as it will pass quicker than you would like.

PS.
You have made your views on the Government well known,both before and after your hiatus,but there is no need to shoe-horn it into every possible thread.I hate the Tories more than most but even I am finding this a little tiresome!

PPS.
This concludes my conversation with you on this particular thread.
for me it's about zero avoidable deaths (key thing is avoidable). And it's not just deaths but the devastating impact (personal, economic, etc.) of long-Covid. Plus the devastating impact of an already well overloaded NHS on those in desperate need of non-Covid treatments (e.g. cancer, circulatory) treatments that are being delayed and without which people will avoidably die.

But if you are not prepared to spend a few minutes getting a vaccination to help reduce the avoidable impact, then that is your choice and your choice reflects on you as a person. But for me the "they'll die anyway" is not a way any society should operate.

Ian
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 11:48am But if you are not prepared to spend a few minutes getting a vaccination to help reduce the avoidable impact, then that is your choice and your choice reflects on you as a person. But for me the "they'll die anyway" is not a way any society should operate.
Ian
Avoidable impact?That is what we've been doing for the last 20-odd months and we have gone as far as we can.
I've spent more than a few minutes getting the two doses required already.I wonder if that reflects on me as a person also?
Like I said this ends here for me.People are well within their rights to carry on wasting their lives away on the presumption they are 'saving' others.
If we tried to avoid or save every avoidable death on the Planet then we would have little time to live our own lives.It is just not feasible.
There has been far too much judgement on people all through this pandemic.For some it seems no matter what a person does it's never enough.
Well I have made the decision that what I have done over the last 20 months is more than enough.