Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No?

Post by Psamathe »

Hellhound wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 12:22pm
Psamathe wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 11:48am But if you are not prepared to spend a few minutes getting a vaccination to help reduce the avoidable impact, then that is your choice and your choice reflects on you as a person. But for me the "they'll die anyway" is not a way any society should operate.
Ian
Avoidable impact?That is what we've been doing for the last 20-odd months and we have gone as far as we can....
I drive carefully all the time, I don't give up taking care after 20-odd months because well people are going to die anyway. I'd get to my destination faster if I drove at 70 mph through my local town but I've been slowing down to 20/30 for years - is it time I give up as people I'd hit doing 70 will die anyway at some point?

We have not "gone as far as we can" as at the cost of a few minutes of your time we can save avoidable deaths and devastating long term conditions (both from Covid and from delays for non-Covid treatments). If you think getting 2 vaccinations is as far as you're prepared to go, wont spend any more time on avoiding the needless death and suffering that is your choice and maybe a good argument as to why the Government needs to introduce laws to enforce protections of others. If you wont spend a few minutes getting vaccinated then maybe the only other option is stay-at-home lockdowns.

Ian
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 12:31pm I drive carefully all the time
You DRIVE :shock: . And somehow seem to believe that it's acceptable to drive. In the 21st century :shock:

Why aren't you using your feet, a bicycle, a bus, a train? You are aware of the horrific levels of damage people like you are doing?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gbnz wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 12:42pm
You DRIVE :shock: . And somehow seem to believe that it's acceptable to drive. In the 21st century :shock:

Why aren't you using your feet, a bicycle, a bus, a train? You are aware of the horrific levels of damage people like you are doing?
FYI I rarely drive - so far this year only added half a tank of fuel to my car and it's still over half full. Bus would be great but living rurally buses are a rarity. Cycling - as often as I can but medical issues are restricting that. Train, I don't travel distances where train is useful. Walking - I tend to walk over 6 miles a day (when I'm not up to cycling) although walking might not be the description some use. So, am I aware of the damage people like me are doing - who knows but I've driven less than 60 miles so far this year so I suspect "horrific levels of damage" is throwing mud at people when you know nothing about their lifestyle.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hellhound wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 11:29am You need to let this go.
When will you be happy to draw a line under it?
I get the impression,correct me if I'm wrong,that you won't be happy until there are zero deaths?
Well that aint going to happen I'm afraid.As with any virus or disease there has to be a figure that is 'acceptable'.For me that figure was reached months ago.The tiny amount that are currently dying,and it is tiny,is more than acceptable.
If I were you I'd just enjoy whatever time you have left as it will pass quicker than you would like.

PS.
You have made your views on the Government well known,both before and after your hiatus,but there is no need to shoe-horn it into every possible thread.I hate the Tories more than most but even I am finding this a little tiresome!

PPS.
This concludes my conversation with you on this particular thread.
As Psamathe says the the key words are unavoidable deaths.
And unavoidable infection rates to,not only for Covid but for Flu which would be a deadly combination and could very well bring the NHS to it's knees this winter as well as causing many more thousands of deaths.

As for me "shoehorning in" the government,is it any wonder the way they've mishandled the response to the pandemic and are continuing to mishandle it by not "playing the game"?
Along with silly people thinking it's yesterday's problem
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 10:10amSuit your selfish self then, but I'd bet the 120 people who died last week aren't bored anymore.
It's a sorry sad day when boredom overcomes sense and protection of others by such simple and effective means.
Please get your stats right (and help your argument in the process).

Roughly 120 people per day are dying with Covid, that's not far short of a thousand a week.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Hellhound wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 11:21pm Not a cop out at all.
I am not playing this game anymore.There is no point to it.Those that want to can carry on but I'm moving on and getting on with my life.It's here,like many other virus,so that's it.Live with it.
The Govt are bored with it,the media are bored with it as it's not killing enough to be news worthy and I'm bored with it.
The more people who think like you and give up on keeping their antibody level up through boosters, the less we will all be able to move on. I don't understand how you cannot see that the small inconvenience of keeping your vaccination status up to date is the thing that will minimise the need for other measures and allow us all to put this behind us. If people don't get vaccinated and then keep up with boosters we will not free our hospitals of Covid patients and we will not have beds free for us when we need them for other things. I have had the two jabs and intend keeping up with boosters when they are offered, much as I intend keeping up with routine dentistry and eye checks. It is my way of maximising the chance of moving on, of drawing a line under it. Your approach, if enough people do the same, will just drag it out.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

DaveReading wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 1:46pm
reohn2 wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 10:10amSuit your selfish self then, but I'd bet the 120 people who died last week aren't bored anymore.
It's a sorry sad day when boredom overcomes sense and protection of others by such simple and effective means.
Please get your stats right (and help your argument in the process).

Roughly 120 people per day are dying with Covid, that's not far short of a thousand a week.
Sorry my mistake I'll edit the post :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

pwa wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 2:56pm
I am not playing this game anymore.There is no point to it.Those that want to can carry on but I'm moving on and getting on with my life.It's here,like many other virus,so that's it.Live with it.
The Govt are bored with it,the media are bored with it as it's not killing enough to be news worthy and I'm bored with it.
The more people who think like you and give up on keeping their antibody level up through boosters, the less we will all be able to move on. I don't understand how you cannot see that the small inconvenience of keeping your vaccination status up to date is the thing that will minimise the need for other measures and allow us all to put this behind us. If people don't get vaccinated and then keep up with boosters we will not free our hospitals of Covid patients and we will not have beds free for us when we need them for other things. I have had the two jabs and intend keeping up with boosters when they are offered, much as I intend keeping up with routine dentistry and eye checks. It is my way of maximising the chance of moving on, of drawing a line under it. Your approach, if enough people do the same, will just drag it out.
Unfortunately some people have been taken in by the message that vaccines and masks are personal choice. They aren’t, they are about protecting others. Drink driving is a good analogy.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 12:50pm
gbnz wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 12:42pm

FYI I rarely drive - so far this year only added half a tank of fuel to my car and it's still over half full. Bus would be great but living rurally buses are a rarity. Cycling - as often as I can but medical issues are restricting that. Train, I don't travel distances where train is useful. Walking - I tend to walk over 6 miles a day (when I'm not up to cycling) although walking might not be the description some use. So, am I aware of the damage people like me are doing - who knows but I've driven less than 60 miles so far this year so I suspect "horrific levels of damage" is throwing mud at people when you know nothing about their lifestyle.

Ian
Oh, that's good to know. Of course half a tank of fuel is far more than I've used. Given my disabled status, suppose I had to walk the 13 miles to see my 80 yr old mother on Thursday. And I suppose it'll of been 9-10 miles for the shopping today, it being unsafe to ride. But my comment was prompted by your post, which seemed to suggest that driving was a normal activity?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I was thinking about this yesterday, and I can sympathize, to an extent. As I've said a few times [too many] in here, I'm diabetic. I take 6 pills a day, three for the disease, two more for related effects and another for something else. The three I take for the main disease cause acute gas build-up in the intestines, especially when I'm just back from a ride.

After decades of this and other similar régimes, I can tell you that I'm bloody bored with it too. If I could get an injection every 6 months to eliminate the necessity for all that I'd jump at it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Only 6?
Blimey I have more *variety* of tablets than that just in my morning dosette box :lol:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Don't think I could take that. Anyway, wouldn't you like to swap all yours for a single injection every 6 months? Man dear, it would be heaven.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Wales reports its highest infection rate ever.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59050903

I simply cannot understand why this is the case.
A population around said to be at least 75 % fully vaccinated (mostly with Astra Zeneca) and over 400,000 recorded infections in a population of 3.2 million.

How is such an infecton rate possible?
What is Wales doing wrong?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 7:58pmA population around said to be at least 75 % fully vaccinated...
Where is that figure from, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 8:06pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 7:58pmA population around said to be at least 75 % fully vaccinated...
Where is that figure from, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
You are the man with the latest stats!
Is it wrong?
I have limited searching ability.
I thought it was at least that.
UK overall is 68 %?
And take up in Wales was alway high.
As is booster take up.

Do you choose just to argue the stats?
Or do you have any explanation for Wales's high present rates.