Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No?

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:01pmIt's all carefully explained in my initial post.
PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 7:58pmA population around said to be at least 75 % fully vaccinated (mostly with Astra Zeneca) and over 400,000 recorded infections in a population of 3.2 million.
I think that this compares current rates of immunity from vaccination with all-time infections.

If you'll tell us what figure you're using for current new infections it might be possible to see if it's inconsistent with current estimates of immunity.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 26 Oct 2021, 9:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've had the booster today and the atmosphere was completely different from the first two jabs which were characterised by safety concerns, especially about an allergic reaction. Today it was no different to the seasonal flu jab. Instead of the 15 minutes supervised recovery, timed with an individual timer for each person, it was simply an instruction to sit for 15 minutes in an unsupervised waiting room. I can see that if somebody has already had two trouble-free doses of a vaccine, they are probably unlikely to have one after a third, but if that's the thinking, why sit about at all?

Anyway, more punctures than after a ride when they are flailing the hedgerows but now fully-jabbed till they come up with something else.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:06pm I've had the booster today and the atmosphere was completely different from the first two jabs which were characterised by safety concerns, especially about an allergic reaction. Today it was no different to the seasonal flu jab. Instead of the 15 minutes supervised recovery, timed with an individual timer for each person, it was simply an instruction to sit for 15 minutes in an unsupervised waiting room. I can see that if somebody has already had two trouble-free doses of a vaccine, they are probably unlikely to have one after a third, but if that's the thinking, why sit about at all?
Which vaccines did you have, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Pfizer all three times. FWIW, after the first two the details were recorded on the little card. Today, it only occurred to me after I'd got home that I'd not received anything similar but as It's served no purpose during the last six months I've binned the card.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:06pm I've had the booster today and the atmosphere was completely different from the first two jabs which were characterised by safety concerns, especially about an allergic reaction. Today it was no different to the seasonal flu jab. Instead of the 15 minutes supervised recovery, timed with an individual timer for each person, it was simply an instruction to sit for 15 minutes in an unsupervised waiting room. I can see that if somebody has already had two trouble-free doses of a vaccine, they are probably unlikely to have one after a third, but if that's the thinking, why sit about at all?
thirdcrank wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:14pm Pfizer all three times.
Thanks.

I can't see anything new or special about the need for the 15 minute period in the guidance to either recipients or healthcare professionals.

But for one product it says "During and after each injection of the vaccine, your doctor, pharmacist or nurse will watch over you for around 15 minutes to monitor for signs of an allergic reaction." and for the other "Close observation... "!

Jonathan

PS: I've now discovered the answer to the question that you asked about fees for 'flu vaccination and where you should go... but I can't find the question...
Last edited by Jdsk on 26 Oct 2021, 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:05pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:01pmIt's all carefully explained in my initial post.
PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 7:58pmA population around said to be at least 75 % fully vaccinated (mostly with Astra Zeneca) and over 400,000 recorded infections in a population of 3.2 million.
I think that this compares current rates of immunity from vaccination with all-time infections.

If you'll tell us what figure you're using for current new infections it might be possible to see if it's inconsistent with current estimates of immunity.

Jonathan
What are you trying to say?

That an infection only confers immunity for an unspecified period of time?
Or?

The new infection figures are in the twice cited BBC Wales link. Did you not bother to check it out? Do also you dispute it?
400,000 people have had it, yes?
And most of those will have some or a lot of immunity.
80 % are also fully vaccinated. (And some have also had the booster.) note 80%!!!

Those figures are in a population of 3.2 million (roughly).
Herd immunity?

Question was; how come new infections are at record levels?
I don't know ( or understand). I start to think you don't either.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:22pm .......................
PS: I've now discovered the answer to the question that you asked about fees for 'flu vaccination and where you should go... but I can't find the question...
viewtopic.php?p=1642278#p1642278

(I had the seasonal flu jab at a pharmacy a while ago now so the question is even more academic now than it was when I posed it.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:25pm That an infection only confers immunity for an unspecified period of time?
There is probably some waning of protection. The laboratory results are easy to measure but the real world protection isn't. There'll be better data soon.

PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:25pm400,000 people have had it, yes?
Ah... the relevance of the 400,000 is that because they've been infected they should be expected to have some immunity?

I suggest that you calculate the current at-risk population. Infection seems to give about the same protection as one dose of vaccine. A full course reduces cases by about 70%. (And serious illness and deaths by much more.)

And then compare that with the current number of new infections.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:33pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:22pm PS: I've now discovered the answer to the question that you asked about fees for 'flu vaccination and where you should go... but I can't find the question...
viewtopic.php?p=1642278#p1642278

(I had the seasonal flu jab at a pharmacy a while ago now so the question is even more academic now than it was when I posed it.)
Thanks.

I'll answer over there.

Jonathan
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:34pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:25pm That an infection only confers immunity for an unspecified period of time?
There is probably some waning of protection. The laboratory results are easy to measure but the real world protection isn't. There'll be better data soon.

PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:25pm400,000 people have had it, yes?
Ah... the relevance of the 400,000 is that because they've been infected they should be expected to have some immunity?

I suggest that you calculate the current at-risk population. Infection seems to give about the same protection as one dose of vaccine. A full course reduces cases by about 70%. (And serious illness and deaths by much more.)

And then compare that with the current number of new infections.

Jonathan
80% fully vaccinated.
Booster uptake good.
400,000 have had it(the virus).
Population 3.2 million roughly.

And yet infections are at record high levels.

What is Wales doing wrong?
What is not working?
slowster

Post by slowster »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:41pm And yet infections are at record high levels.

And with regard to current high infection rates and possible future trends, see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59039739.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:01pm
What do you mean by "too cautious", please?
Life is finite and suppose I gave a visit into town a miss yesterday, due to COVID. Despite being fully vaccinated, chasing the NHS since August for a booster, washing hands two dozen times a day, opening every window on the bus on commencing travel, interchanging 3 No. routinely washed masks. : )
Last edited by gbnz on 27 Oct 2021, 8:18am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 8:11am
Jdsk wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:01pm What do you mean by "too cautious", please?
Life is finite and suppose I gave a visit into town a miss yesterday, due to COVID. Despite being fully vaccinated, chasing the NHS since August for a booster, washing hands two dozen times a day, opening every window on the bus on commencing travel, interchanging 3 No. routinely washed masks
Thanks.

The case rate, hospitalisations, complications and deaths would be much lower if everyone followed what is known to help. They'll be higher if we don't.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

slowster wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 10:08pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:41pm And yet infections are at record high levels.

And with regard to current high infection rates and possible future trends, see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59039739.
Thanks for those highly relevant data. Current total case numbers are a long way short of telling the whole story.

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 8:15am
gbnz wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 8:11am
Jdsk wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 9:01pm What do you mean by "too cautious", please?
Life is finite and suppose I gave a visit into town a miss yesterday, due to COVID. Despite being fully vaccinated, chasing the NHS since August for a booster, washing hands two dozen times a day, opening every window on the bus on commencing travel, interchanging 3 No. routinely washed masks
Thanks.

The case rate, hospitalisations, complications and deaths would be much lower if everyone followed what is known to help. They'll be higher if we don't.

Jonathan
Yes, but rather like Mondays hospital visit; nurses weren't wearing masks, at Boots, dispensing practitioners weren't wearing masks. At a certain point, giving up life to comply with rules, when no one else is, becomes a bit absurd. Obviously prior to visiting my 80 year old mother, I'll take a Lat Flow test, and wash and distance etc, etc, etc, quite apart from protecting myself
Last edited by gbnz on 27 Oct 2021, 8:50pm, edited 1 time in total.