Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No?

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:21am
francovendee wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 8:38amI've always felt most people will end up having it inspite of all precautions.
It depends what you mean by "it". I don't expect that most of us will catch it in the wild and and have symptomatic infection.

Jonathan
By it I mean the current pandemic, any of the existing or future variants.
Even if everyone washes hands, wears a mask it will still keep spreading.
Add the number who refuse the vaccine, wear a mask and avoid large gatherings I don't see how it won't continue to infect everyone, hopefully not all at once.
A teacher friend has just tested positive. He's been ultra careful and escaped it until last week.
He felt he has some form of natural resistance to catching it, not sure he feels the same way now.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As an aside - a wry comment, if you like - it's looking like the government is, for once, acting reasonably decisively and firmly, the irony being that I wouldn't mind betting that this particular variant turns out to be the mildest of the lot...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:14pm
Jdsk wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:21am
francovendee wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 8:38amI've always felt most people will end up having it inspite of all precautions.
It depends what you mean by "it". I don't expect that most of us will catch it in the wild and and have symptomatic infection.

Jonathan
By it I mean the current pandemic, any of the existing or future variants.
Would it? If everyone did both of those, properly, every time? No quick splash washes and no nose-peepers? Plus distanciation and ventilation too? That's a theory I'd like to test! ;)
Add the number who refuse the vaccine, wear a mask and avoid large gatherings I don't see how it won't continue to infect everyone, hopefully not all at once.
Indeed. The problem with Delta has been that it pushed the required compliance levels, including vaccination, far too close to 100%. Then you have to remember that an estimated 14% (IIRC, last I saw) cannot take the current vaccines, so then you see why the refusals are so vexing and sufficient to mean that we can't stop this thing circulating, that it seems to be heading to become endemic one way or another, and we hope that the treatments keep improving or that it mutates itself harmless.
A teacher friend has just tested positive. He's been ultra careful and escaped it until last week.
He felt he has some form of natural resistance to catching it, not sure he feels the same way now.
I wonder if feeling he had some natural resistance meant he took more chances and took one too many. Risk compensation strikes again?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonineaston wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:17pm As an aside - a wry comment, if you like - it's looking like the government is, for once, acting reasonably decisively and firmly, the irony being that I wouldn't mind betting that this particular variant turns out to be the mildest of the lot...
I wouldn't call it decisive when it seems that it's been in the country since the 20th and the first restrictions only came in today, the 30th. As a result, a load of British residents who had popped abroad on long-postponed trips for work or to see family will have the expense and inconvenience of a 4-day quarantine on return, in a futile attempt to stop the arrival of a variant which has already been here for weeks, even if they have been vaccinated and took a test before they started their return journey.

And I wouldn't call it firm when people are still allowed to attend superspreader Christmas parties in steamed-up pubs with no restrictions required.

I suggest it only looks at all decisive or firm because so many of the past decisions were even later and even more wishy-washy.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

simonineaston wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:17pm As an aside - a wry comment, if you like - it's looking like the government is, for once, acting reasonably decisively and firmly, the irony being that I wouldn't mind betting that this particular variant turns out to be the mildest of the lot...
Well, they're acting only just too slowly (already a significant number of omicron cases in the UK) though that's still an awful lot better than their previous efforts.
They're not acting firmly though, talking about a two day quarantine? Not having masks be mandated everywhere, not mandating them at all for several days...

If this variant is the mildest of all then great - relax those restrictions - encourage that variant to be completely dominant.
BUT we don't know... so we should have acted faster, and much more firmly than we have done
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 2:36pm talking about a two day quarantine?
No, gov.uk is talking about being released once you have results of a day-two test. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quar ... antine-for

Those results are reportedly taking 2-3 days to come through and I doubt that's going to get faster with more tests being done. Although I see you are allowed to leave quarantine to go to a test site, so if you have money, it appears that you can get same-day results for £160 per person at present (for example, from MyPrivateChemist.com in central London).

But for ordinary people without stacks of money for express testing, it's effectively at least a four day quarantine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:14pm .....
The relevant consideration is how fast it is spreading. Get the R value well below 1 and whilst it is still spreading it is declining on it's way to very low numbers. Let the R value get above 1 and it's exponentially increasing. Both are "still spreading" but both have very diffeent longer term impacts on a population.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mjr wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 3:14pm
No, gov.uk is talking about being released once you have results of a day-two test. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quar ... antine-for

Those results are reportedly taking 2-3 days to come through and I doubt that's going to get faster with more tests being done. Although I see you are allowed to leave quarantine to go to a test site, so if you have money, it appears that you can get same-day results for £160 per person at present (for example, from MyPrivateChemist.com in central London).

But for ordinary people without stacks of money for express testing, it's effectively at least a four day quarantine.
And that's having taken public transport to get to a home of your choice away from the airport?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 7:22pm
mjr wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 3:14pm

And that's having taken public transport to get to a home of your choice away from the airport?
As the linked page says: "Only use public transport if you have no other option"
pwa

Post by pwa »

The new variant is here, in the UK, and once again the stable door is being shut when the horse has already bolted. it was always going to be that way. Any idiot could see that once international travel resumed, any new variant would slip in before we knew it existed. So I very much doubt whether there is any benefit in having tough rules on travel to and from other European states in a similar situation to ourselves. If someone arriving from Berlin is no more likely to have the new variant than someone from Glasgow, why treat them differently?

Amusingly (or disturbingly) a relation of ours who lives in Germany thinks she can get around German rules on arrivals from the UK (necessity to quarantine) by arriving at Basel airport (Switzerland / Germany / France border) and leaving it on the French side then immediately entering Germany from France. I don't condone that, but I do see a funny side to it.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Psamathe wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 3:40pm
francovendee wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:14pm .....
The relevant consideration is how fast it is spreading. Get the R value well below 1 and whilst it is still spreading it is declining on it's way to very low numbers. Let the R value get above 1 and it's exponentially increasing. Both are "still spreading" but both have very diffeent longer term impacts on a population.

Ian
None of this is contested. My point is eventually we'll all have had this virus or a variation.
I don't believe anyone alive today will see the eradication of this disease.
It may become less deadly but this will take a very long time.
Parts of the world have very low vacccination levels, add to this our natural reluctance to live a life of lockdown and social distancing it won't be stamped out.
I wrongly hoped that you'd not catch it again after having caught it, recovered and had 2 vaccinations. This was wrong wrong as my daughter and family has proven. My Grandson (9 YO) is still poorly but getting better.
No, we'll all end up catching, maybe many times, it but with luck we'll recover.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Slightly annoyed :wink: . Whilst <50, submission of a four page report, gaining a special medical status, allowed my obtaining a Booster Jab precisely 26 weeks, 1 Hour and 20 minutes following my 2nd vaccination, back on the 19th November

And then within days of obtaining it, they've changed the rules, so anyone can get it :x
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why don't they put the vaccine into the water supply like they do with fluoride?

Why don't they fortify bread with it like they are planning to do with folic acid? They already fortify bread with calcium, iron, niacin and thiamin. Chuck some vaccine in there too.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
pwa wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 7:13am My own NHS administered jabs were delivered without any faff. I was in and out within ten minutes.
What so now sitting down for 15 minutes before you walk out the door?

I suggested to the nurse given me my booster that nobody takes any notice of sitting down for 15 minutes!
She retorted oh yes they do!

Well in my experience people arrive after me and leave before me after just a few minutes when I'm sitting down after my jab.

she said car insurance companies say your insurance will be invalid if you do not wait for the 15 minutes?
It would be easy to enforce it so just give somebody a number ticket after they've had their jab and they're not allowed to leave until the number comes up which would be 15 minutes later.

Maybe in La La Land where pwa resides time travels more slowly :P

P.S I think I stayed for something like 14 minutes at the 25 seconds, I found it hard work but I managed it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 9:02am Why don't they put the vaccine into the water supply like they do with fluoride?

Why don't they fortify bread with it like they are planning to do with folic acid? They already fortify bread with calcium, iron, niacin and thiamin. Chuck some vaccine in there too.
Yeah.

Or why not just get our robot servants to bring it to us in the flying car?