Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No?

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

Yes, it was a lighthearted suggestion by me ........... but you knew that anyway. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I suggested to the nurse given me my booster that nobody takes any notice of sitting down for 15 minutes!
She retorted oh yes they do!
After a recent op. involving a local anaesthetic, my recovery nurse timed my rest period on her PC to the minute. Before my time was up, I wasn't allowed to move apart from to consume my alloted bsicuits (Custard Creme !), whereas the minute it was up, I was heaved out the door quicker than you could say, "Scalpel please nurse"...
Last edited by simonineaston on 1 Dec 2021, 10:54am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

HI,
reohn2 wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:55am
Jdsk wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:21am
francovendee wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 8:38amI've always felt most people will end up having it inspite of all precautions.
It depends what you mean by "it". I don't expect that most of us will catch it in the wild and and have symptomatic infection.

Jonathan
AFAICS what really matters is if people do get it they recover quickly,fully and with no severe symptoms,hopefully vaccination goes a long way toward that.
The alternative is the NHS swamped with sufferers bed blocking hospitals along with long Covid after infection as a result sucking in resources that could be used to treat other illnesses,which is what has happened already.
That's why precautions such as mask wearing,cleanliness and avoiding crowded indoor places need to be taken seriously especially when a new variant is discovered,presently IME that's become quite lax in most people who AFAICT have become "Covid19 nonchalant" recently,something I find concerning.
Announced today that several supermarkets will not be enforcing mask wearing!
Due to abuse of their staff.
That's not good enough! Put a notice up saying no mask no entry, and be done with it, I'm sure the supermarkets can afford one big burly ex rugby player to stand on the entrance.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 10:46am :lol: :lol:

Yes, it was a lighthearted suggestion by me ........... but you knew that anyway. :wink:
I was wondering how much Water you drank subcutaneously
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 10:53am Announced today that several supermarkets will not be enforcing mask wearing!
That's not good enough! Put a notice up saying no mask no entry, and be done with it, I'm sure the supermarkets can afford one big burly ex rugby player to stand on the entrance.
Which ones, please?

If anything like the earlier times, it will be mostly the shops who have security on the door anyway (due to lightfingered locals, so mostly in the poorer areas of town) who do this time.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It doesn't matter though does it?
If it goes into the stomach, it gets into the blood-stream, just like any drug or medication.

Silly idea for vaccines as they are, but if you can take a drug with a glass of water, it's only a technological step to administer anything by water.

-----------------------------------

There isn't a standard for masks.
Anyone can make one out of any fabric or any material they want. Wooden one for instance? One made from a pair of old knickers maybe? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
mjr wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 10:58am
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 10:53am Announced today that several supermarkets will not be enforcing mask wearing!
Which ones, please?

If anything like the earlier times, it will be mostly the shops who have security on the door anyway (due to lightfingered locals, so mostly in the poorer areas of town) who do this time.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59481287
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mick F wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 11:01am It doesn't matter though does it?
If it goes into the stomach, it gets into the blood-stream, just like any drug or medication.

Silly idea for vaccines as they are, but if you can take a drug with a glass of water, it's only a technological step to administer anything by water.

Anyone can make one out of any fabric or any material they want. Wooden one for instance? One made from a pair of old knickers maybe? :wink:
I think the whole idea of face coverings is that it stops you spraying into the air any contamination.
Effectively you are protecting others from anything you have as opposed to contracting yourself.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And some technological steps aren't achievable.

We're all familiar with oral polio vaccines. But even those are a long way from putting it in the water supply.

There's a lot of research on oral COVID vaccines. Here's a Phase 2 trial:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05067933

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 10:58am
Which ones, please?

Report I read cited Iceland, Aldi & Lidl
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/not-all-supermarkets-to-enforce-face-masks-b1967228.html wrote:Iceland will. not challenge customers who enter their shops without masks to protect staff from abuse
According to a report from the BBC, Iceland staff are not being asked to challenge customers who enter their shops without masks to protect them from abuse.

Iceland boss Richard Walker told the BBC’s Radio Four Today programme that staff “are already working under significant pressure, especially as we hit the busiest trading month of the year.”

He added: “I won’t be putting my staff at any risk of confrontation or abuse.”

Aldi and Lidl similarly have no plans to ask customers to wear face coverings.
Ian
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

No.

It is not the case that all substances that enter the stomach enter the bloodstream.

Mick F wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 11:01amit's only a technological step to administer anything by water.
In the same way that it's only a technological step to travel faster than light.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 11:10am Hi,

I think the whole idea of face coverings is that it stops you spraying into the air any contamination.
Effectively you are protecting others from anything you have as opposed to contracting yourself.
My "belief" (based only on personal opinion, no science involved) is that in addition to the "protecting others", some of the air you inhale will be drawn in through the mask and the mask presents some filtration - so you will so some extent also be protecting yourself (though by how much I have no idea).

Ian
sjs

Post by sjs »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 10:55am
Mick F wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 10:46am :lol: :lol:

I was wondering how much Water you drank subcutaneously
It would have to be in beer to work for Mick.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 1 Dec 2021, 10:25am Hi,
pwa wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 7:13am My own NHS administered jabs were delivered without any faff. I was in and out within ten minutes.
What so now sitting down for 15 minutes before you walk out the door?
I suggested to the nurse given me my booster that nobody takes any notice of sitting down for 15 minutes!
She retorted oh yes they do!
Well in my experience people arrive after me and leave before me after just a few minutes when I'm sitting down after my jab.
she said car insurance companies say your insurance will be invalid if you do not wait for the 15 minutes?
It would be easy to enforce it so just give somebody a number ticket after they've had their jab and they're not allowed to leave until the number comes up which would be 15 minutes later.
Maybe in La La Land where pwa resides time travels more slowly :P
P.S I think I stayed for something like 14 minutes at the 25 seconds, I found it hard work but I managed it.
The 15 minutes is advisory.I had jab 1 and 2 and walked straight out and drove home.They can't force you to stay and the car insurance angle is nonsense.
Again it's advisory or they can request but they can't force anyone to wear a face covering!
You can buy 'exempt' lanyards and badges off Amazon.They aren't going to refuse or ask anyone with one of these so they won't refuse anyone who just states they're exempt.
The big Supermarkets don't want to lose customers to rivals so if one does something they all follow suit.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 3:18pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:18am
Jdsk wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 12:31pm "Evidence of the impact of COVID-19 across the cancer pathway: Key Stats":
https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/sites/ ... r_2021.pdf
And there's a new report from Macmillan on the effects on breast cancer, but I haven't yet found it or read it.
Guardian coverage:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... id-crisis/
I've found their press release:
https://medium.com/macmillan-press-rele ... cef3#_edn1
And today's NAO report: "NHS backlogs and waiting times in England":
https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploa ... ngland.pdf

"This report looks in detail at backlogs and waiting times for elective and cancer care in the NHS in England. It explains how the current increased backlogs and waiting times have arisen, including the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic."

Screenshot 2021-12-01 at 13.16.18.png

Jonathan