Covid Booster. Yes/No? *** The Covid Thread ***

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Covid Booster. Yes/No?

Post by Mick F »

Got our boosters booked for tomorrow early afternoon. Been booked for a few weeks.
Mick F. Cornwall
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:42am
I think that the most likely cause is confusing the fraction of tests that were done that were positive with the fraction of the population of that town that had a positive test. =
[/quote]

Sorry, you're wrong.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 5:37pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:42am I think that the most likely cause is confusing the fraction of tests that were done that were positive with the fraction of the population of that town that had a positive test.
Sorry, you're wrong.
Could be.

Please could you tell us the source of the data to help us understand what you're saying.

Thanks

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:57am
pwa wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 8:07am I live in the Vale of Glamorgan, though not in the more populous bit, and the perception here is that the high figures are driven by Covid running rampant in the schools. So the bulk of infections are in kids and their families. Obviously the virus does escape from there to other more vulnerable groups but at a lower rate. So while very busy, hospitals are not generally as over-run as you might imagine.
That's the perception but is it the reality? It seems easy to blame kids but I'm not familiar enough to find things on statswales easily. Do you get detailed local-area statistics for Wales like we do for England?

I did find that Wales normally has 157 invasive ventilator beds and currently 181 are occupied out of 214 available, with 54 being covid cases, so I think NHS Wales has done well to add about a third to ventilator bed capacity and pretty much cover the current extra covid demand.
My third jab is a week today.
I'm glad for you but I've more than a month to go, probably at my lowest ebb of immunity since vaccination, where I need to avoid triple-jabbed idiots letting down their guard as well as the not-bothering ones, who will probably be going to festive superspreading events aka workmates indoor pre-Christmas drinks.

And that's without that latest variant B.1.1.529 taking hold here.
I haven't seen any analysis of what is driving Covid infections in Wales at the moment, but I do have personal knowledge of several families affected and all have attributed their infections to kids picking it up at school. The upside of that is that the kids will be out of school for two weeks over Christmas, which may offset any surge due to festivities. But the arrival of a new variant on the scene (which was always going to happen) makes everything less certain. Especially for folk whose immunity remains low even after vaccination.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 5:39pm
Please could you tell us the source of the data to help us understand what you're saying.

Thanks

Jonathan
Sorry, No. But in short

1. 47% of the regional infections are within a certain town
2. 92% of the regional population don't live in a certain town and primarily live in rural locations, with minimal levels of infection
3. The official figures are heavily skewed, as the figures rely on adding 9.2 No. individuals from uninfected rural areas, to every 0.8 No. individual living in the heavily infected town
4. Thus the official figures give a generic figure for the region, which gives an infection rate which is 9-10 fold lower than the actual rate of infection in the town (Nb. It's interesting to note that as of yesterday, emergency shut downs of critical public sector facilities in the town have been undertaken due to Covid, certain facilities not being expected to open until well into 2022.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Had mine Thursday evening, felt a bit sore the next morning where the needle went in and then last night about 6pm felt really tired but okay now.
Booked to go to Spain for Christmas but Jet2 check-in was 28 days before departure......now its down to 14 days!
Not sure if it'll all be cancelled? 🥴
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Had ours 13:15 this afternoon at Launceston. Six hours ago.
We both had AZ for 1 and 2, but we had Pfizer for the booster.
No symptoms whatsoever ......... either of us.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I wonder how Norfolk is going to cope with the massive likely increase in number of boosters (i.e. lowering age and reduced internal)? When I last checked only 2 places offered, nearest 25 miles away. CCG said it was because it now included down to 40 year olds and thus system was fully booked. Given they've not increased capacity to cope with 40+ and 6 month interval, what now?

All very well Gov. making these changes but capacity can't properly handle the current levels.

Ian
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Had mine last week, it was the Army this time, super efficient, everyone seemed busy - which is very much in contrast to my 2 previous jabs that were NHS teams, they just seemed to be cluelessly faffing about, no wonder the health service is in such a mess. We should get the army to run that too.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pebble wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 11:59pm Had mine last week, it was the Army this time, super efficient, everyone seemed busy - which is very much in contrast to my 2 previous jabs that were NHS teams, they just seemed to be cluelessly faffing about, no wonder the health service is in such a mess. We should get the army to run that too.
My own NHS administered jabs were delivered without any faff. I was in and out within ten minutes. Everyone seemed busy but also calm and in control.

There is a lot of concern about the new variant and how it might affect things, but one more optimistic possibility has hardly been mentioned by the media. It could turn out to be more easily transmitted, but also milder in its effects. If so, it could displace the Delta variant and reduce hospital admissions and deaths. But it will be weeks and possibly months before we know whether it will turn out this way, or whether it will be more of a threat.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

pwa wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 7:13am
Pebble wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 11:59pm Had mine last week, it was the Army this time, super efficient, everyone seemed busy - which is very much in contrast to my 2 previous jabs that were NHS teams, they just seemed to be cluelessly faffing about, no wonder the health service is in such a mess. We should get the army to run that too.
My own NHS administered jabs were delivered without any faff. I was in and out within ten minutes. Everyone seemed busy but also calm and in control.

There is a lot of concern about the new variant and how it might affect things, but one more optimistic possibility has hardly been mentioned by the media. It could turn out to be more easily transmitted, but also milder in its effects. If so, it could displace the Delta variant and reduce hospital admissions and deaths. But it will be weeks and possibly months before we know whether it will turn out this way, or whether it will be more of a threat.
If it behaves like a typical virus, it should evolve to be more easily spread, but less dangerous to the host. That’s the way viruses typically adapt to survive. This particular virus is a bit odd though. It’s an RNA virus, but it behaves like a DNA virus in one very important fashion. It’s got the in built ‘quality control’ mechanism normally associated with DNA viruses. It won’t mutate easily, or readily. The reason any viable mutations have emerged, is mostly down to the sheer amount of virus about ( high case numbers ). It’s why the experts were ( rightly ) so concerned about the case / infection numbers, going into this winter. The scientists are fairly confident that this Omicron variant won’t cause more severe illness, and we won’t face another full lockdown this winter.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've had my booster but feel no safer than before.
This new variant may still be able to infect me but hope if I do get it I won't be as seriously ill.
I've always felt most people will end up having it inspite of all precautions. The biggest danger is a more serious variant that kills many more,
The news is slowly changing about the new virus (expected), The official line was we don't know if the existing vaccines will be OK but expect them to be.
This morning I heard the boss of Moderna saying the vaccine is likely to be less effective. The same message came from a government advisor when interviewed on the wireless.
After not seeing my grandchildren for two years I've booked a flight for two weeks time. I expect I'll be cancelling the trip. At least we never told the children.
*#*#~* Virus!!!!!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

francovendee wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 8:38am *#*#~* Virus!!!!!
+ 1. And despite avoiding other humans, washing hands 30-40 times a day, wearing a daily washed face mask, avoiding touching surfaces, opening gates with a foot, washing down newly bought substances with a mild bleach solution etc, etc, etc?

Caught another cold. Suppose the high risk behaviour of buying a container of milk on Sunday has led to my catching a virus! Hope the multiple covid boosters I've had will have some effect :? Think we're now on the 616th day?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Just feeling a bit deflated about my trip. I was so looking forward to seeing the kids and having a few pints and fish and chips along the way.
I've just heard about a bar restaurant not too far away that serves draught IPA and fish and chips.
Plan is to visit tomorrow and sample the wares.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 8:38amI've always felt most people will end up having it inspite of all precautions.
It depends what you mean by "it". I don't expect that most of us will catch it in the wild and and have symptomatic infection.

Jonathan