'Senior Moments'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: 'Senior Moments'

Post by reohn2 »

Sainbury's some time ago(can't remember when??? :wink: ),whilst putting my groceries on the conveyor I notice ojt of the corner of my eye and urchin bagging my stuff, "oiy what do you think you're doin' that's mine" says I,"sorry mister I'm doing bob a job week".
It was only then I noticed the scout uniform :?
"Right,err,OK, here's a £1" :oops: :oops: :oops:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 9:53am Sainbury's some time ago(can't remember when??? :wink: ),whilst putting my groceries on the conveyor I notice ojt of the corner of my eye and urchin bagging my stuff, "oiy what do you think you're doin' that's mine" says I,"sorry mister I'm doing bob a job week".
It was only then I noticed the scout uniform :?
"Right,err,OK, here's a £1" :oops: :oops: :oops:
:lol:
You're getting soft in your old age j5, you should have given him 5p.
Or should it be Tenner - a - Task week nowadays ?
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Here's another:-
In the days before internet renewal reminders and when worked for a living,I forgot all about my van insurance.
On the last day before it expired I dashed to the brokers to renew it,when the young woman behind the counter asked if I had my documents I found I'd forgotten them,she then asked my vehicle reg which took me a couple of guesses to get right :?
She then said "are you out on your own",to which I couldn't help but laugh out loud before admitting I was :oops: :oops: :oops:
W H Auden
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Getting ready to go up the pub for an early beer with Mrs F tonight.

I was wrestling the the Boa on on my second cycling shoe when I thought......
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Today's one; mixing up a coffee to go in the microwave, I opened it's door and discovered a luke warm one I'd put in there
about an hour before and forgotten. A not uncommon event for me this, especially if I get interested in something 'on the computer'.
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

freeflow wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 6:00pm Getting ready to go up the pub for an early beer with Mrs F tonight.

I was wrestling the the Boa on on my second cycling shoe when I thought......
:D I think that just means you're a keen cyclist !
I've experienced a similar thing, when I tuck my trousers into my socks when getting dressed first thing in the morning, but I think that just makes me a mean (but quite keen) cyclist.
Nu-Fogey
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 5:23pm Here's another:-
In the days before internet renewal reminders and when worked for a living,I forgot all about my van insurance.
On the last day before it expired I dashed to the brokers to renew it,when the young woman behind the counter asked if I had my documents I found I'd forgotten them,she then asked my vehicle reg which took me a couple of guesses to get right :?
She then said "are you out on your own",to which I couldn't help but laugh out loud before admitting I was :oops: :oops: :oops:
Do High Street brokers for car insurance still exist even, I'd almost forgotten about that. I used to do mine in one in Eastcheap, Letchworth G.C. I can't even remember the name of the firm now.
Nu-Fogey
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

colin54 wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 6:05pm Today's one; mixing up a coffee to go in the microwave, I opened it's door and discovered a luke warm one I'd put in there
about an hour before and forgotten. A not uncommon event for me this, especially if I get interested in something 'on the computer'.
Last week I put a cup of tea in the fridge and a milk bottle on the table. I got to the table and couldn’t work out why there was a milk bottle there. On Mrs Ojw’s advice I retraced my steps, stopped off at the fridge and found my cuppa.
John
colin54

Post by colin54 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nu-Fogey
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I wonder if some things we attribute to "senior moments" are things we've been doing for years but never noticed. Since I had my 1st car (late teens) I was forever putting the keys down and spending the next 60 mins searching for them. So I now have conventions as to where I put my keys down.

For many years I've had problems with names e.g. something would make me think e.g. en Hur (film) and I'll spend the next hour trying to get the name of the star (despite having a clear mental image of what he looked like).

Not senior moments but the sort of things often attributed to them.

Ian
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 6:21pm Last week I put a cup of tea in the fridge and a milk bottle on the table. I got to the table and couldn’t work out why there was a milk bottle there. On Mrs Ojw’s advice I retraced my steps, stopped off at the fridge and found my cuppa.
My granny had a story about going up to bed and putting the jarrie on the bedside table and the candle under the bed.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

When does 'I've fallen over' turn into 'I've had a fall' ?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 8:36am When does 'I've fallen over' turn into 'I've had a fall' ?
When it should be "I've fallen down" :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 9:08pm I wonder if some things we attribute to "senior moments" are things we've been doing for years but never noticed. Since I had my 1st car (late teens) I was forever putting the keys down and spending the next 60 mins searching for them. So I now have conventions as to where I put my keys down.
I've always seen keys as very important articles and know where all my keys are at any given time
For many years I've had problems with names e.g. something would make me think e.g. en Hur (film) and I'll spend the next hour trying to get the name of the star (despite having a clear mental image of what he looked like).

Not senior moments but the sort of things often attributed to them.

Ian
I'm terrible for remembering names either people or places,it's got worse as I've got older(now 68)and like you I sometimes have to play word association games to get to the name I want,also like you I can have a clear mental image of the place or person.A chap I know always says in such situations "I've put it on a shelf in my brain,trouble is I can't remember which shelf!"

Anyother thing with people,as I've got older I've (purposely)lost touch with people in the limelight,so people who my daughters regard as known by everyone have to explain to me who they're talking about such as "they were in that such and such film" or "they sang such and such a song" followed by long descriptions of said person,and me being the impish person I am I deliberately become more and more obtuse,trouble is they've for wise to it and the game becomes more outlandish an bizarre until we collapse in laughter :lol:
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:01am
francovendee wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 8:36am When does 'I've fallen over' turn into 'I've had a fall' ?
When it should be "I've fallen down" :wink:
"Fallen over" ... "Fallen down" ... "Had a fall". Perhaps there are subtle differences between the three expressions. I think that in my particular circumstance, just over two years ago, I'd describe it as having "had a fall".

I was cutting the hedge (in France) and was using a set of steps, higher than my own set, which my neighbour had lent me (he'd invariably rush out with them as soon as he noticed what I was up to). Anyway, taking a breather, I took a step back from what I thought was the lowest step.

It wasn't. It was three steps up. Consequences: severe blow to back of head; two days' concussion; then managed to drive back to UK all right; two months later nasty symptoms began, could only walk a few steps before collapsing; MRI scan showed up subdural haematoma; hospital stay and operation; not allowed to drive for several months....

I'm OK now - luckily - and I did eventually get my licence back.

If this was a 'senior moment', it was a senior moment with all the bells and whistles attached.... :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).