'Senior Moments'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Re: 'Senior Moments'

Post by francovendee »

I used to get angry with myself forgetting where I'd put something but have become more used to it.
What's worrying more me is forgetting whole events from the last 10 years.
Yesterday I was discussing a friends visit with my wife and the conversation moved on to their marriage.
I clearly remember their wedding reception but have no recollection of the ceremony! My wife described it in detail and has some photographs of the day. This took place in 2011.
I wonder if I should go and speak to the doctor.
Names of places we've recently visited can escape me and no amount of concentration helps.
It's a bugger getting old!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Franco there is a standard dementia test. I took my Mrs months after it became apparent she was suffering from something. She passed scoring 26 out of 30 and even reminded the Dr at tbe end that he had forgotten to ask her to name the 4 things he had earlier asked her to remember.
The thing is that we had both realised something was wrong but the test didnt show up the changes in her behaviour. What got me was that the quack didnt refer us on and we were so relieved that he concluded that there was nothing wrong with her. Never trust a doctor...trust your own judgement as far as memory loss and change of behavior is concerned.
She hurt her back several times and the Dr just gave her pills. It was obvious that something was drastically wrong but again the quack was happy to prescribe pills and go no further. It was only after we had paid for a private scan that we discovered her spine was collapsing from acute osteoporosis.
On our first visit to a consultant she was diagnosed with Parkinsons. Dopamine had no effect.
Eventually the diagnosis was Lewy Body Dementia. Just over 2 years later she died. There is no cure, they know very little about this condition, more or less the same for Alzheimers. But, you can live for quite a few years with both conditions.
Get tested.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 10:49amI wonder if I should go and speak to the doctor.
I know that you're not in England, but here's the NHS advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/memory-loss-amnesia/

Which ends with some wise words:
Do not try to self-diagnose the cause of your memory loss – always see a GP.

This also applies to relatives.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 9:46am
661-Pete wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:43pmTo bring that sort of 'senior moment' right up into the electronic age: often as not, I click on Wikipedia (which I use quite a lot) and then when the front page appears, I ask myself "what did I want to look up?"

The trouble is, Wiki's front page is packed full of clickbait, some of it rather tempting...
: - )

The boring answer is... bypass the front page by adding wiki as a search term. Even without proper site restriction the search algorithm will work fine, not surprisingly, eg:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wiki+mnemonic

But of course this also bypasses the wonderful serendipity that you've described. It's a notorious effect in scientific journals... the articles before and after the one you should be reading are so much more interesting...

And of course its all different with nonlinear sources, and so many online sources are nonlinear...

Jonathan
I don't find DuckDuckGo search results very good (much as I hate Google as a company) but I have set DuckDuckGo as my search engine and almost always use their "bangs" in the address bar e.g. "!w beaver" will divert the search directly to Wikipedia or "!guk beaver" diverts the search to Google (UK). It's a DuckDuckGo thing (not an address bar thing) - DuckDuckGo sees the !<code> and diverts the request. I use a VPN and Google hates them so for their translate they default to arabic or russian but "!gten quisiera" and DuckDuckGo diverts to Google Translate into English (overriding Google's non-cooperation).

https://duckduckgo.com/bang

Ian
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I don't know if this was a senior moment; or a 'can't see the woods for the trees' moment, a bit of both perhaps.
I'm just transferring all the bits off of my Bob Jackson onto a second British Eagle Touristique that I brought last weekend, just to lower it's existing gearing a bit, and to know that all the running-gear is in good nick. I've not decided whether to repair/ refinish the frame and forks of the Bob Jackson yet.
Anyway, after carefully cleaning all the BB threads in the frame, I assembled the bottom bracket into the frame being careful of which was left hand thread, which right hand, making sure nothing was cross-threaded and all nicely coated in copper-grease.
Cleaned the tapers , put anti-seize on the bolts and assembled the cranks, all nicely tightened up. Gave it a bit of a spin, perfect . I then cleaned all the road crud from the derailleur- took ages, and fitted it. I even took a picture of it with the cranks spinning around, beautiful. I then came to set the derailleur at approximately the correct height but something wasn't right somehow........ I'd bolted the drive-side crank on the wrong side of the bike..... dumkopf.
P1150482.JPG
I've awarded myself the title of Nu-Fogey.
Nu-Fogey
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

colin54 wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 12:35am I don't know if this was a senior moment; or a 'can't see the woods for the trees' moment, a bit of both perhaps.
I'm just transferring all the bits off of my Bob Jackson onto a second British Eagle Touristique that I brought last weekend, just to lower it's existing gearing a bit, and to know that all the running-gear is in good nick. I've not decided whether to repair/ refinish the frame and forks of the Bob Jackson yet.
Anyway, after carefully cleaning all the BB threads in the frame, I assembled the bottom bracket into the frame being careful of which was left hand thread, which right hand, making sure nothing was cross-threaded and all nicely coated in copper-grease.
Cleaned the tapers , put anti-seize on the bolts and assembled the cranks, all nicely tightened up. Gave it a bit of a spin, perfect . I then cleaned all the road crud from the derailleur- took ages, and fitted it. I even took a picture of it with the cranks spinning around, beautiful. I then came to set the derailleur at approximately the correct height but something wasn't right somehow........ I'd bolted the drive-side crank on the wrong side of the bike..... dumkopf.
P1150482.JPG
Well done ! :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

That chainset piccy reminded me....

I was removing a (tapered-BB) crank off the bike - my son's bike as it happens, making it even more embarrassing. The tool I was using was one like this, i.e. with two hexagonal nuts (I've bought a better tool since then).

Well, I removed the crank bolt and screwed the tool into the crank until it was just tight. Then I wielded the spanner and proceeded to drive the crank off the taper.

"Phew! this is a toughie" I seem to remember remarking. Eventually "Ah! Here it comes!". Perhaps you can guess the rest. :oops:

I'd applied the spanner to the outer nut - the one that tightens the extractor onto the crank, not the one that pushes on the BB.

Result: stripped thread on the crank, and crank still firmly wedded to the BB. I think I managed to get it off eventually, with hacksaw and file...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 12:35amI'd bolted the drive-side crank on the wrong side of the bike.....

.gnirahs rof sknahT

( - :

nahtanoJ
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 2:16pm
nahtanoJ
Llord v
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Had one this afternoon ..............

Moulton has undergone maintenance, and the chain was off to be cleaned (amongst other things) and on reassembly and fitting the chain, I couldn't get it to run smoothly.
Moulton upside down, both mechs nice and clean, as was the triple chainset and the cassette.
So far so good.

Moulton upside down, like I said.
Threaded the chain round the chainset and the cassette and through the rear mech, and connected the chain with the quick link.
Rotated the cranks, and it was awful.

Found I'd not threaded the chain through the front mech! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall