Anti-vax and anti slow down.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Anti-vax and anti slow down.

Post by Mike Sales »

I found a sticker, peeled off a lamp post and thrown in the gutter, saying
"Respect Your Neighbourhood.
Slow Down in Lincolnshire."
I restored my spirits by scraping off the Coop one from an organisation called White Rose.
It had a drawing of a gloved and gas-masked trolley pusher captioned,
"This is the person calling you a conspiracy theorist."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Re: Anti-vax and anti slow down.

Post by reohn2 »

I understand the first part of the post,but the second part I'm struggling with,where does the Coop come into it?
Or am I missing something? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There was a White Rose sticker on the Co-op.

Jonathan

"Inside the White Rose: The Covid conspiracy graffiti group operating on your doorstep":
https://www.skeptic.org.uk/2021/07/insi ... -doorstep/
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 4:28pm I understand the first part of the post,but the second part I'm struggling with,where does the Coop come into it?
Or am I missing something? :?
Very sorry. I was not very clear.
Jonathan is right.
The sticker was on the front wall of my local Coop shop, by the door.
I see that this unpleasant group are campaigning, against masks and vaccines, amongst other things.
I now find that they are as bad as I guessed, and I was right to destroy the sticker.
The stickers are the work of an anti-vaxx group calling themselves the White Rose, named after the World War II-era anti-fascist group led by Hans and Sophie Scholl, German students who were both executed by the Gestapo after being caught distributing anti-Nazi leaflets.

Holocaust references have become increasingly common among anti-vaxx agitators, including Marjorie Taylor Greene, who compare themselves to the persecuted Jews who were forced to wear a yellow star. Vaccine mandates and passports, they argue, will bar them from businesses and public spaces, just as the Jews were under the Nazis — a comparison Jewish organizations and leaders have condemned as antisemitic.

The new White Rose group styles itself as anti-fascist and characterizes lockdown orders and vaccine mandates as a form of repression akin to that perpetrated by the Nazis. One of their core assertions is that governments and others administering the vaccine are violating the Nuremberg Code by experimenting on unconsenting citizens, a claim numerous outlets have fact-checked and declared false.

The group’s Telegram chat, its main form of communication, is quite active, posting dozens of times a day, and generating over a hundred comments from members across the day’s posts. Every day, new members join, including people who say they are students, parents and even nurses.

The White Rose doesn’t spread its message on familiar social media platforms where many conspiracy theories flourish. Instead, to join the group, you need to encounter a sticker out in the real world. Each has a QR code leading to the White Rose’s channel on Telegram, a messaging app that has become a haven for extremist activity. The White Rose channel has nearly 41,000 subscribers.

The Telegram group supplies templates for members to print their own stickers to distribute wherever they live or work, and to share anti-vaxx information and link other anti-vaxx groups. While the group seems to have started in the U.K., members now chime in from states across the U.S., South Africa, Australia, Canada, and numerous European countries. (Many of the stickers have been translated.)

Comments in the Telegram chat largely consist of group members helping each other figure out how to download templates and print the stickers, and posts sharing other anti-vaxx information, such as Youtube videos by the likes of Vladimir Zelenko. Occasionally, someone who disagrees with the White Rose joins the chat to castigate members for spreading misinformation, but, if anything, users seem encouraged when they see that they’ve provoked a reaction from “Karens” or “sheeples.”

Beyond comparing vaccines mandates to Nazi restrictions against Jews, the White Rose does not directly promote antisemitic ideas or disparage Jews; it even has a statement of respect for all races, religions and nationalities.

Yet the group can still easily serve as a gateway to more overtly antisemitic conspiracy theories. Some messages from the White Rose Telegram group contain antisemitic dog-whistles, such as references to a malicious cabal or to powerful globalists.

The anti-vaxx movement at large often tends toward antisemitism, sometimes through promoting alternative forms of medicine such as “Germanic New Medicine,” which claims mainstream medicine is part of a dangerous Jewish conspiracy to decimate non-Jews. Similarly, worries about malicious government control often lead to familiar antisemitic tropes about Jewish power.

Anti-vaxxers are also often associated with Christian fundamentalism and evangelicalism, and, on occasion, White Rose users have used the comment section in the Telegram group to proselytize Christianity and encourage others to accept Jesus..

The anti-vaxx White Rose is not the first group to co-opt that name; there are several White Rose groups on Facebook, but these seem more aligned with the original White Rose, advocating against government restrictions on immigration or for LGBTQ rights and representation; now they’re complaining that they are getting new member requests from people clearly involved in anti-vaxx advocacy. Outnumbered by the members of the new, anti-vaxx version, the legacy of the White Rose may be rewritten.
https://forward.com/news/474596/anti-va ... -identity/
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Be very careful about scraping off anti-Vax, or other conspiracy-theorist, stickers. Some of them may have razor blades concealed under them. This was a ploy used by the National Front back in the 1970s, and it has reared its ugly head once again.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

661-Pete wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 5:43pm Be very careful about scraping off anti-Vax, or other conspiracy-theorist, stickers. Some of them may have razor blades concealed under them. This was a ploy used by the National Front back in the 1970s, and it has reared its ugly head once again.
Thanks for the warning.
I managed to lift a corner, and pull it off from there, which would have probably been safe, but I will use my pocket knife if any more appear in the village.
Years ago, in the Lleyn on a club run, I came across an NF sticker on a road sign, so I stopped to remove it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike
Thanks for the clarification,I'm familiar with the loonie Marjory Taylor Greene,it seems the White Rose movement are equally as loonie and dangerous albeit on a small scale,though I have to confess I'd never heard of them before.
We do or did have a particular vociferous anti covid poster on the forum though I'm not sure if he's still swimming agianst the tide of reason or not.
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:28pm We do or did have a particular vociferous anti covid poster on the forum though I'm not sure if he's still swimming agianst the tide of reason or not.
That wasn't me, I hope! I do recall starting off the long thread about Covid, early last year - including these words:
A highly embarrassed 661-Pete wrote:Well, according to the media, we're set for Armageddon. I think it's being over-hyped, but correct me if I'm wrong.
So far, 41 deaths reported in China, fewer elsewhere in the world. That sounds like a typical seasonal flu epidemic to me...
I only wish I had been right! Alas, I wasn't!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 11:30pm
reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 9:28pm We do or did have a particular vociferous anti covid poster on the forum though I'm not sure if he's still swimming agianst the tide of reason or not.
That wasn't me, I hope! I do recall starting off the long thread about Covid, early last year - including these words:
A highly embarrassed 661-Pete wrote:Well, according to the media, we're set for Armageddon. I think it's being over-hyped, but correct me if I'm wrong.
So far, 41 deaths reported in China, fewer elsewhere in the world. That sounds like a typical seasonal flu epidemic to me...
I think R2's reference was to someone else.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I read that quote about white rose but it made me wary of labelling anti vax groups as anti semitic because some others are and a few such dogwhistles appear on their chat. That article seemed to say they are anti semitic because other anti vax groups are. I'm sure there's been anti semitic dogwhistles on here before are we anti semitic.

Don't get me wrong there's so much wrong with this group that anti semitic would not be a surprise or indeed might not make it any worse, its propaganda is killing so is that not bad enough?

Powerful globalists and even mysterious cabals is something from the extremes of politics on the left and right i reckon in one form or another. Indeed not so far left or right in some cases. Perhaps we could find them and tax the globalist!

Extremism takes many forms, each to be opposed. Imho the worst forms are those who get close to power.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

No Pete it most definitely isn't.I was referring to The Utility Cyclist,formerly Tonyf33 who was banned under that handle,I dunno if he's still posting or not TBH
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That was a somewhat reasonable position at the time - though without knowing how many people had been infected, and the relevant timescales, it was probably naive (which is really easy to say retrospectively).
I suggest that we all (well, except for de Pfeffel and his clowns) wish you had been correct.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:59am
That was a somewhat reasonable position at the time - though without knowing how many people had been infected, and the relevant timescales, it was probably naive (which is really easy to say retrospectively).
I suggest that we all (well, except for de Pfeffel and his clowns) wish you had been correct.
+1
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:56am No Pete it most definitely isn't.
No problems R2, I was being a bit flippant. Although the topic is serious...
661-Pete wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 11:30pm I only wish I had been right! Alas, I wasn't!
That's dangerously close to the 'conspiracy theory' post I made earlier, suggesting that BoJo had a hidden agenda for exploiting the Covid pandemic to cover for... well, you-know-what...
pwa

Post by pwa »

And I think being willing to say "I was wrong" is worthy of respect.