Did Boris have a secret agenda?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Did Boris have a secret agenda?

Post by gbnz »

It's incredible. A Tory Government have brought in a package of measures to dramatically cut the number of HGV journeys, block cars from being driven, expand immigration from abroad, dramatically cut even the CO2 being produced for industry whilst increasing the wages of the working class, their core benefits, handing everyone employed time off work on a state funded basis, whilst commencing suspending competition between commercial organisations :shock:

Oh yeah and using the army to support society, rather than fighting colonial wars abroad

Did Boris Johnson have a secret plan when he became PM of England?
Oldjohnw

Re: Did Boris have a secret agenda?

Post by Oldjohnw »

gbnz wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:24am It's incredible. A Tory Government have brought in a package of measures to dramatically cut the number of HGV journeys, block cars from being driven, expand immigration from abroad, dramatically cut even the CO2 being produced for industry whilst increasing the wages of the working class, their core benefits, handing everyone employed time off work on a state funded basis, whilst commencing suspending competition between commercial organisations :shock:

Oh yeah and using the army to support society, rather than fighting colonial wars abroad

Did Boris Johnson have a secret plan when he became PM of England?
I agree with your observation except in one detail: Johnson is PM of the UK.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:24am... whilst increasing the wages of the working class, their core benefits...
Not sure about that bit... the combination of increased taxation of earnings, cuts to Universal Credit payments, and increased prices of energy and food is going to cause major increases in poverty.

But in general this style of authoritative populism is quite different from modern Conservatism. And we should respond accordingly.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Oldjohnw wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:00am
Perhaps @gbnz's observation is correct. :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:11am
Perhaps @gbnz's observation is correct. :wink:
Indeed. Perhaps it was a Freudian slip. He does,of course, set many laws which govern Scotland: trade, immigration, foreign policy, defence.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 27 Sep 2021, 8:23am, edited 1 time in total.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi GBNZ, Any rural worker will immediately recognized that you are talking a load of "Bill-hooks"! If any government actually got everything spot on the carpers would still belly ache, sure as night follows day!
Many posters demand that tax dodgers get hauled up, so when HMRC bring in IR35, which closed off a tax dodge employed by non-UK HGV drivers, it gets slagged off?
The largest factor in the driver shortage affects all of us who have a driving licence, the Covid factor at the DVLA. Poor turn-around of applications & renewals. I face that problem soon, as I reach 73, so must renew or lose?
The we have had a stoppage of Driver Testing in all categories, so it was an inevitability that many people would not have the licence to operate a motor vehicle.
So maybe we should heed Corporal Jones's message - "Don't Panic"! MM
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

merseymouth wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:19amThe largest factor in the driver shortage affects all of us who have a driving licence, the Covid factor at the DVLA.
There are multiple factors, but the hauliers don't put the outbreak top.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 27 Sep 2021, 8:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

No government gets everything right. But few get everything wrong.
John
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

gbnz wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:24am
Hmm......Irony does come into play. Boris is a PM of England at present. Obviously given time he'd be PM of the shires
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

gbnz wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:24am Did Boris Johnson have a secret plan when he became PM of England?
Nope. BoJo has no mandate in Scotland or NI - and it's dubious whether he has one in Wales. "England" is correct...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Odd how his government makes laws that govern Scotland. By your argument he has no mandate anywhere Labour have an MP.
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

gbnz wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:24am Did Boris Johnson have a secret plan when he became PM?
To believe that I would have to believe that he is capable of making a plan, and he has shown himself to be woefully incapable in that particular skill.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:24am There are multiple factors, but the hauliers don't put the outbreak top.
Considering that the hauliers could choose more than one reason, the surprising thing about that survey isn't that 359 of them thought Brexit was a factor, it's that 256 of them didn't.
Let's be clear, this is a survey of opinion, the question asked was "What do you believe to be the reasons behind the driver shortage? (Please select all applicable)" and 42% of them haven't selected "UK leaving the EU"
it would have been more informative if they'd asked how many drivers had left their employ and what reasons they'd given.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:24am No government gets everything right. But few get everything wrong.
Unless they only really seek to please the notorious 1% and are confident of their power to gull the electorate next time around. After all, it worked for Brexit and for Boris's election, why shouldn't it work every time?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

As to the RHA's slant on the driver shortage I think of Mandy Rice Davis -"He would say that wouldn't he!".
The RHA has always assumed themselves to be infallible, sadly they never have been. I started out in road haulage nearly 60 years ago, when it really was rough. So I know only too well how much better the working conditions are for modern drivers. "Cab Hotel" was just a fiddle to up a drivers earnings, blind eye offered to read dodgy receipts, very rough. But the in cab accommodation in modern vehicles is much more like a Japanese Cubical Hotel, plenty of mod cons, only loo and shower absent.
Back in my early years working hours were much more of an issue, very-long spells at the wheel, not monitoring. Then came the tachograph, better but not tamper proof. These days with all of the tech the real pain in the rectum for drivers is that everything is under the beedy eye of the boss, but the honest driver has that as back-up over Disputes. Much safer, yet that will also bring safety issues because the vehicles are easier to keep going. The real stress is due to the larger footprint, so manoeuvrability is much more stressful.
But in my view the pressure applied by the big supermarkets with their "Unloading Slots" creates a real problem for even the best driver. Any delay caused by outside issues, such as weather, congestion, or as is current stupid road closures due to the protesters!
No driver wants to suffer delays which screw up their delivery schedule, but to be knocked back after busting a gut to be on time must be very galling?
No, I wouldn't get involved in the modern supply chain, damned for being subject to so many outside pressures. But at least few modern drivers have to go around trying to drumup return loads, hich was the case back in days of old! TTFN MM