Brompton tyres - the price, my dear, the price !!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Brompton tyres - the price, my dear, the price !!

Post by simonineaston »

WHY are the prices for Brompton tyres so bloomin' ridiculously high?? Talking about £40 quid and up on some sites !! And yet they're a) smaller than nearly every other size and b) quite common, so any attempt to excuse the price on the grounds that they're "a special run" or somesuch tommyrot won't wash. Fortunately spotted a suitable pair of Schwalbes on fleabay at under £20 each. Phew.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tangled Metal

Re: Brompton tyres - the price, my dear, the price !!

Post by Tangled Metal »

I find marathon and marathon pluses everywhere for £29.99. Unless you're going for the schwalbe ones or something I am surprised at the £40 price tag.

Just googled and the tyre mentioned above was £55 for a brompton and £30 in 700c tyre size. Tanwall in 16" but black wall in 700c in case that explains the difference.

I've no interest in highest end. Marathon and marathon pluses suit me as I'd rather not get a puncture when commuting. Those are the same price as I pay for full sized road tyres.

Do you really need schwalbe one? Nothing close but cheaper? Doesn't matter if that's what you want just you pay for it. Although it does seem like profiteering somehow.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I expect the actual price per mile will be higher still, compared to larger sized tyres, because each cm of tread contacts the road much more per mile with a small circumference.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What size are Brompton tyres?
16 inches I think.
Why are 16" tyres so expensive?

My 20" for my Moulton were only a few quid each. I bought four! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Why are 16" tyres so expensive?
Quite!! To be fair, I think it may be a seasonal thing. I've never noticed that 16" tyres have been super-dear before, and I've been buying them off & on for decades...
Yikes!!
Yikes!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I would imagine that setting up a production run for a particular size of tyre will be similar across tyre sizes.
The less popular sizes would have a shorter production run and hence the unit cost would be higher.