Food Waste

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Food Waste

Post by thirdcrank »

In my teens I acquired from somewhere a book probably published during the war full of economy tips. One was soaking rancid butter in a bicarb solution will remove the rancid taste. It may have suggested it would make it fresh again, but I doubt it would. The main reason I remember it is that I tried it once and it worked. In fact, a bicarb solution will remove the taste from all sorts of stuff
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The culling of healthy pigs has begun on British farms, with farmers forced to kill animals to make space and ensure the continued welfare of their livestock, amid an ongoing shortage of workers at slaughterhouses."
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ir-workers

That's all of the environmental impact and all of the financial investment and no food produced and no income received.

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

colin54 wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 9:57pm It wouldn't surprise me if there was as much food wasted out of the backs of supermarkets as from domestic settings.
About a quarter of all food leaving the farm gates goes to waste, and of that, supermarkets are responsible for 2%, consumers 71%.
Temp food.png
http://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/wrap ... _Jan17.pdf
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

The culling of healthy pigs has begun on British farms
The carcasses need dumping in Downing Street, and on the doorsteps of all the cabinet ministers.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

axel_knutt wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 2:51pm
The carcasses need dumping in Downing Street, and on the doorsteps of all the cabinet ministers.
I think that would rather excite some of them.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If meat is starting to smell a bit showing signs of age butchers and slaughterhouses soak it in Milton. Usually good enough to get it sold to unsuspecting buyers.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Pre-war, my dear old dad had an admin job at one of the abattoirs in Leeds. He would never eat meat with onions in with it, because of how he's seen them used to mask the state of meat. Strange then, that he was an absolute sucker for sausage; he couldn't get enough of it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

axel_knutt wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 2:51pm
I'm reminded of the sand that was acceptable on Cumbrian beaches but necessitated radiation protection when removed from central London.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Back in the late 90s I was in Norway regularly with people who later became close friends. They had a farm and had converted a huge barn into 14 small self contained flatlets. These flatlets were all let to Eastern European butchers and abatoir workers who stayed for a year or two and went home with enough money to build a house. This type of work is not popular or particularly well paid. Perhaps we will have to rely on immigrants in the long term to fill the vacancies? Shortages of these workers is not a new problem. Our friends moved to the US but they retained the farm and letting units which even now produces a good retirement income

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Perhaps we will have to rely on immigrants in the long term to fill the vacancies?
Did I read that right?
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 5:54pm
Perhaps we will have to rely on immigrants in the long term to fill the vacancies?
Did I read that right?
I echo that :o
colin54

Post by colin54 »

axel_knutt wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 2:40pm About a quarter of all food leaving the farm gates goes to waste, and of that, supermarkets are responsible for 2%, consumers 71%.
Thanks for the pie axel,it looks like I couldn't have been be more wrong, good for them.
Nu-Fogey
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

francovendee wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 6:05pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 5:54pm
Did I read that right?
I echo that :o
We’ll blow me down with a feather
:D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

colin54 wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 9:57pm
I saw this bloke collecting food from the bin at the back of my local shop when I lived in Leeds, 10/10 for that and 10/10 for using a bike, but minus 5 points for on-road phone use ! He'll never go hungry, I've never had the front to do it myself
P1030391.JPG
P1030392.JPG
Many supermarkets donate surplus food that is close to its sell-by date to charity emergency shelters and the like. I have a friend who collects such food from the local Tesco to deliver it to a hostel for homeless - I’m pretty sure that this cyclist is doing something similar.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

LollyKat wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 10:49pm
Many supermarkets donate surplus food that is close to its sell-by date to charity emergency shelters and the like. I have a friend who collects such food from the local Tesco to deliver it to a hostel for homeless - I’m pretty sure that this cyclist is doing something similar.
You are right to pick me up on this, I have removed the pictures and my comments.
Nu-Fogey