Food Waste

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: Food Waste

Post by rjb »

Some of our village residents are in a pig club. Slaughtering is due soon. So they won't be short this christmas. The other half are in a cider club so a few swaps to be done. :D A jolly time will be had by all. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We bought half a pig some years back.
All shrunk-wrapped in film ready for the freezer.

Both girls were at home in those days, one maybe 10 and the other mabe 13.
I "assembled" our half-pig on the dining room table to the horror of the girls! :lol:

Trouble is, we didn't have "half a pig" but portions of a pig.
We had some left bits and some right bits! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

The only thing not used by a butcher in a pig.......
is his breath!
rjb

Post by rjb »

When our children were about 6 years old we stopped at a butchers who were advertising half a lamb . To our horror the butcher went out the back to the store and returned with a whole lamb carried on his back. He threw it down on the wooden block and proceeded to chop and saw it up, bagging the cuts as he progressed. Our girls were fascinated, it was a good example of were cuts of meat come from. In the space of 10 minutes it was all bagged for us to take away. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

rjb wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 6:38pm When our children were about 6 years old we stopped at a butchers who were advertising half a lamb . To our horror the butcher went out the back to the store and returned with a whole lamb carried on his back. He threw it down on the wooden block and proceeded to chop and saw it up, bagging the cuts as he progressed. Our girls were fascinated, it was a good example of were cuts of meat come from. In the space of 10 minutes it was all bagged for us to take away. :D
Mary had a little lamb,
She had it with mint sauce,
And everywhere that Mary went,
The lamb went too - of course...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

philvantwo wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 5:45pm The only thing not used by a butcher in a pig.......
is his breath!
When many rural dwellers in Lincolnshire kept pigs the saying was they used everything except the squeal. Traditionally pigs fry, which couldn't be preserved easily, was shared with neighbours. There were also some delicious treats acelet, stuffed chine and Lincolnshire sausages, the tastiest available. The throat was cut for the pig to bleed out into basins to make blood pudding.

The practice of keeping pigs at home was so common that pre war council houses often had a sty supplied with the house. My uncle kept a pig until well into the sixties.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I was out a couple of days ago and saw this field of lettuce that had apparently been ploughed straight back into the ground.
P1150758.JPG
I don't know if it was the case in this instance, but I've asked a Farmer before about ploughing lettuce back in, and I seem to recall he told me that it's because they can't get a decent price from the supermarket buyers to make it worth pulling the veg out of the ground - the cost of employing pickers etc I suppose, maybe there's a shortage labour locally or an oversupply of lettuce in the shops possibly.
There's another field of carrots near to me that look like they've been ploughed straight back in, maybe they use them as a break crop. I think clover's a normal one for that though (to put nitrogen back into the soil).
Does anyone know other possible causes for this, the above is mostly just my surmising, it seems a shame, all the work and expense that's gone into cultivating a crop.
Just down the road from this field is another field planted with a curly leaved lettuce (?) crop which I dont recognise,
it looks about ready for picking to me , it'll be interesting to see if gets harvested. Click twice for a closer look, does anyone know what it is ?
P1150760.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

It could be tainted in someway that the supermarket would reject it - our food has to visually perfect. But far more likely it will be the massive labour shortage, that seems to be global - some side effect from the pandemic that has stopped people working hard or even working at all. 1.51 million unemployed but job vacancies not getting filled. Too much free money sloshing about.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

colin54 wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 9:24am P1150760.JPG
It may be Mizuna, a Japanese mustard that's become a popular salad crop here in recent years
colin54

Post by colin54 »

LollyKat wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 12:07pm
colin54 wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 9:24am P1150760.JPG
It may be Mizuna, a Japanese mustard that's become a popular salad crop here in recent years
Thanks for that LK, I'll maybe have a taste of a leaf next time I'm passing to see.
Nu-Fogey