Food Waste

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Re: Food Waste

Post by francovendee »

Pebble wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 9:44am Does peelings and veg waste mixed among normal garden waste attract rats ? Have only started adding this to the compost this year, haven't seen any rats yet!

As for general food waste - I cycle 150 mile a week and we have a Black Lab - there is no food left at the end of any meal...

Biggest waste of food I ever see is on farms, just shameful what is rejected cause it doesn't look right or the price has changed - something like 20% f all food is just dumped.
We've been composting for 20+ years and have never seen a rat. We never chuck food into the compost bin, just peelings. I believe rats will eat most things but might just prefer left overs. We never have any so it may be why we don't have rats.

We used to have communal bins but we were all given plastic wheelie bins. You could also have a large compost bin for free. :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 2:32pm .......to cook from scratch you first create a universe
Exactly. :D

It's a silly term.
It's called cooking.

Convenience stuff isn't cooking, it's warming it up (or not).
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

there are degrees cooking from Scratch a good example is lasagne
buy ready made and Warming up. And yes there are good quality versions of this if you look round. Our local Co-op has a range.
homemade versions range from
dried lasagne sheets bottled sauces and a pack of mince
to Homemade fresh lasagne sheets, home made Sauces from Fresh ingredients tomatoes and chopped fresh herbs, mince your own steak.
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

It's a while since we had lasagne.
Mentioned it a few times, and we've discussed it too.

Mince from the butchers, onions and veg from the greengrocers, and flour and a local egg or two mixed together to make a dough and wrung through the "mangle" into strips of pasta and cut to fit the dish with a pair of scissors.
Cheese sauce made with loadsa grated cheese mixed into a rue of flour and milk.
All layered in but with the dish lined bottom and sides with pasta first.

YUM! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 4:45pm It's a while since we had lasagne.

Mince from the butchers, onions and veg from the greengrocers, and flour and a local egg or two mixed together to make a dough and wrung through the "mangle" into strips of pasta and cut to fit the dish with a pair of scissors.

I think you may have missed the bit about cooking it in the oven. Or do you eat it raw. :shock: :shock: :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The main thing that attracts our rats is the bird food. Oh yes - people have told us, don't feed the birds if you've got rats!
I looked out at our bird feeder as it was getting dark and there was sparrow hawk just finishing a tasty supper on the grass below, and not eating the fallen bits of peanut either. The only "waste" is a few forlorn feathers - another result of attracting lots of birds into a small area
atoz

Post by atoz »

Mick F wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 3:15pm Cycling the other day, and went past a place with their recycling bins out.
Amongst them, was a bin marked Food Waste.
It put me in mind of a previous thread of mine about Chicken Tonight and rubbish processed food.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=147807

Why do people have food waste?
I can understand restaurants and places having food waste, but not a private dwelling, surely?

Any leftovers we have get frozen and they can be used for and with other meals.
I can understand peelings and cuttings not being put into a compost bin because not everyone has a garden or the space.

Food waste?
Don't cook so much, or freeze what you don't eat. Add it to another meal!

The other day, there was a chap on the radio saying that 'pigs in blankets' will be in short supply this Christmas. I detest the "pigs in blankets" expression as they were always cremeskies (not sure of the spelling) as in a sausage wrapped in bacon. Simple, easy, and put on a tray in the oven. Wrap bacon round a sausage - job done - why buy them like that?

We seem to be in a system nowadays that people buy stuff ready-made to shove in the cooker. Whatever's left, gets chucked out.
Daft in the extreme.

End of rant! :lol:
Food waste where I live is collected by the council and ends up eventually as compost. My garden is poor soil and not suitable for growing veg, but I just don't have time to do that anyway. If you want to keep your kitchen drain in decent nick you filter the waste water when you wash your pans and dishes so solids end up in the food waste bin eg porridge. I try not to have too much waste but it's just not worth saving fish bones for stock if you live on your own.

And before you ask, I don't do ready meals. My idea of fast food is the occasional fish and chip and curry sauce from the local chippy.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Talking about food waste. I got chatting to a gent recently who was brought up in Skelmersdale ( now known locally as Old Skem after the new town development was built ), during World War 2.
I asked him about a story I had heard on the radio about twenty years ago, about a massive quantity (20 million is what I recall being the figure), of eggs sent from the USA by Atlantic Convoy during the war and then dumped down a disused coal mine in Skelmersdale as they had gone off. Whether this was all one cargo, dried eggs in bulk or fresh eggs, I gave no thought to at the time. Anyway I asked this chap if he knew of the story, he told me that he did and indeed used to watch eggs and other food ( presumably rotten) being dumped after being brought by train from Liverpool docks; he said you could see the entrance being totally full one day and by the next it had totally disappeared underground. Apparently the dumping of the eggs was kept secret for reasons of public morale at the time (my memory from the radio broadcast).
Has anyone else on here heard of this story ?
Trying to find some mention of this on-line, I also came upon a good detailed article about wartime food rationing which may be of interest (did you know for instance, eggs keep longer out of the fridge if you coat them with lard to seal the pores).
The way he described the site - next to a large local car dismantlers, led me to believe it was hereabouts, side by side OS map and current aerial view showing the mine shaft and railway lines (long gone) positions .
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... =ESRIWorld

https://www.cooksinfo.com/british-wartime-food/
It wouldn't surprise me if there was as much food wasted out of the backs of supermarkets (if it's not claimed by a local food bank charitys) as from domestic settings.
Last edited by colin54 on 6 Oct 2021, 12:14am, edited 2 times in total.
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 6:42pm I think you may have missed the bit about cooking it in the oven. Or do you eat it raw. :shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol: :lol:

We usually make too much, so what's left is portioned out and frozen.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don't know, just lazy not growing your own wheat and grinding the flour yourself...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 10:55am

I don't know, just lazy not growing your own wheat and grinding the flour yourself...
It never tastes right to me if you haven't made the scissors from scratch.

Jonathan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, these guys evidently had to do it all from scratch.

I wonder what else the monolith taught them - aside from learning to beat the **** out of each other?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

colin54 wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 9:57pm Trying to find some mention of this on-line, I also came upon a good detailed article about wartime food rationing which may be of interest (did you know for instance, eggs keep longer out of the fridge if you coat them with lard to seal the pores).
I read somewhere that sodium silicate solution (aka 'waterglass') was also used in wartime as a preservative for eggs. Possibly more veggie friendly than using lard!

There's also this method of course! All a matter of taste, probably not to everyone's liking. And no - they don't keep for 1,000 or even 100 years - that's just a popular myth. Before you ask: no, we haven't tried. There are some things we draw the line at...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
rjb

Post by rjb »

When I was a yoof i had a summer job in the local pie factory. One of my tasks was hard boiling and shelling a thousand eggs which went into Gala pies. They were kept fresh and yellow without the white blackening by a dose of Hydrogen Peroxide. The foreman instructed me to keep the empty bottle for him which he took home for his wife to use. She rinsed the bottle out then washed her hair in the solution. She was a Platinum Blonde. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

661-Pete wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 1:34pm
colin54 wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 9:57pm Trying to find some mention of this on-line, I also came upon a good detailed article about wartime food rationing which may be of interest (did you know for instance, eggs keep longer out of the fridge if you coat them with lard to seal the pores).
I read somewhere that sodium silicate solution (aka 'waterglass') was also used in wartime as a preservative for eggs. Possibly more veggie friendly than using lard!
Yes. Very widely used and works well.

Jonathan

PS: You can also use to make children's crystal gardens much more robust.