Food Waste

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Food Waste

Post by 661-Pete »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 5:54pm
Perhaps we will have to rely on immigrants in the long term to fill the vacancies?
Did I read that right?
It's a strange world, full of contradictions, we live in nowadays - but I don't think that on this occasion Al is being inconsistent. Let him speak for himself.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was reminded of recycling bins by a message on the back of a milk bottle (we still have a doorstep milk delivery) requesting that the bottle should not be disposed of in a recycling bin. "Older readers" ie most forum members will remember a time when milkmen would only accept returns of their own dairy's bottles but nowadays we get them from all over so perhaps dairies pool them in some way.

There's no indication of the address of the dairy named on this bottle so I googled - unsuccessfully - to check and found they want 99p for a pint bottle of milk

https://www.mcqueensdairies.co.uk/

We pay 55p a pint delivered and I thought that was a statutory price
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

axel_knutt wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 2:40pm
colin54 wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 9:57pm It wouldn't surprise me if there was as much food wasted out of the backs of supermarkets as from domestic settings.
About a quarter of all food leaving the farm gates goes to waste, and of that, supermarkets are responsible for 2%, consumers 71%.
Temp food.png
http://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/wrap ... _Jan17.pdf
Yes, but... How much of that happens because we *have* to buy 4 tomatoes prepackaged in plastic & polystyrene, and one has gone off? The supermarkets have transferred their waste to us & generated tonnes of packaging with these little tricks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F went to Tamar Valley Fruiterers today.
We're long-standing customers and they know that she regularly makes chutneys, pickles, and jams.

Tomatoes?
She gets trays of them, all on the turn.

Apricots?
She bought six 500g punnets this morning at £1.49 each, but bought the whole lot for two quid because they are on the turn. A few of the apricots have been put into the compost as they had black bits on them, but the rest will be turned into apricot jam this afternoon.

She's not the only person buying stuff that cannot be sold at full price.
There's a whole host of people all over the county - men and women - buying "past their best" fruit and veg and preserving them.
All you need to do is ask for the stuff. They'd rather sell it than chuck it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 11:32am Never seen a rat here in all our 26years at this address
Well ..........................

This morning, what did we see dead and stiff on the hearthrug in the kitchen?
Dead rat.

No doubt Nellie our cat (who is a renowned hunter-killer - but never birds, I might add) brought it in.
We ain't got a real clue where she caught it but she does have a rather large stamping ground. Dunno why she didn't eat it as she always eats what she catches. We only see the leftovers!

The tiles are 6" square ......... to give you a scale.
IMG_0814.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

She’s obviously been reading this thread! 😄
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Vorpal wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 2:46pm
axel_knutt wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 2:40pm
colin54 wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 9:57pm It wouldn't surprise me if there was as much food wasted out of the backs of supermarkets as from domestic settings.
About a quarter of all food leaving the farm gates goes to waste, and of that, supermarkets are responsible for 2%, consumers 71%.
Temp food.png
http://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/wrap ... _Jan17.pdf
Yes, but... How much of that happens because we *have* to buy 4 tomatoes prepackaged in plastic & polystyrene, and one has gone off? The supermarkets have transferred their waste to us & generated tonnes of packaging with these little tricks.
Also, the 2 for the price of one (buy two melons and pay for only one - so how many people would buy the one they need); or £2-50 each, 3 for £6 - basically good discount for buying multiples. I very rarely visit bricks & mortar supermarkets these days so no idea if such offers still around but they used to be pretty common.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

LollyKat wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 12:31pm She’s obviously been reading this thread! 😄
:D :D
I wouldn't put it past her!

I lifted the rat by the tail, and dropped it into the burning coals in our solid fuel kitchen range .......... then washed my hands.

This is Nellie in the kitchen.
Butter wouldn't melt!
PICT0006.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... Nellie our cat (who is a renowned hunter-killer - but never birds, I might add ...
Probably under orders from the parrot
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

We have three cats. Nellie was a stray, and so was Percy. The third one, Sadie, is a re-home.
None of them will go anywhere near the parrot. They ain't daft!

However, our border collie, Sailor, would just attack, so we have be careful.
Dogs don't care about being hurt, they just attack and hang the consequences.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Does the parrot understand the innuendo in greeting the dog with "Hello, Sailor." ?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 3:35pm Does the parrot understand the innuendo in greeting the dog with "Hello, Sailor." ?
No, not at all, but the dog certainly knows when I speak to the parrot. Jealous or what! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Now farmers throw away MILK! Tens of thousands of litres are being poured down the drain after going off before it can be collected because of HGV driver shortage":
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rtage.html

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 2:11pm "Now farmers throw away MILK! Tens of thousands of litres are being poured down the drain after going off before it can be collected because of HGV driver shortage":
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rtage.html

Jonathan
Apparently it's all fine doing that as it is a necessary step in up-skilling to a high wage economy ... Must confess I don't quite understand why and Johnson doesn't do explanations". Looks like daft waste to me.

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 2:35pm

I lifted the rat by the tail, and dropped it into the burning coals in our solid fuel kitchen range .......... then washed my hands.

You missed out on the Ratatouille, did you make rat fritters. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D