Food Waste

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Syd

Re: Food Waste

Post by Syd »

Mrs Syd and I cook a lot at home and very often save excess for later in the week when time may be limited it we don’t always get it right and there is occasional food waste. It’s limited however and not to the excess we see from others.

Today, for example, we lunched at a Michelin star restaurant close to where we are holidaying. We were booked in for 1pm and left, later than expected and quite full, over three hours later. This means that the food leftover from earlier in the week will mostly go to waste, as we are travelling home tomorrow and have nothing suitably temperature controlled to transfer it in for the 6 hour journey.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 4:40pm
Mick F wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 2:35pm I lifted the rat by the tail, and dropped it into the burning coals in our solid fuel kitchen range .......... then washed my hands.
You missed out on the Ratatouille, did you make rat fritters. :lol:
Good one! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

rjb wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 4:40pm
Mick F wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 2:35pm

I lifted the rat by the tail, and dropped it into the burning coals in our solid fuel kitchen range .......... then washed my hands.

You missed out on the Ratatouille, did you make rat fritters. :lol:
Sorry - can't resist....

As it happens we're having Ratatouille tonight - but alas! sans R. norvegicus - who still remains at large...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Food waste.
One word.
Pigs.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Had some leftover mashed spuds from yesterday, and fried it up for breakfast this morning to go with my fried egg.
Too much spud, so scraped it off into the cats's dish, and she gobbled it up.

Scrapings from our evening meal today, went into the dog's dish, and he scoffed it.

Food waste?
Buy a dog and a cat! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 8:11pm Had some leftover mashed spuds from yesterday, and fried it up for breakfast this morning to go with my fried egg.
Too much spud, so scraped it off into the cats's dish, and she gobbled it up.

Scrapings from our evening meal today, went into the dog's dish, and he scoffed it.

Food waste?
My cat used to come running when she heard me scraping out the porage pan.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

reohn2 wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 7:46pm Food waste.
One word.
Pigs.
I believe there is a Chinese saying that the only thing that is goes to waste with a pig is the squeal (implying of course that everything gets used). Doesn't seem to apply in Britain though.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mick F wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 8:49am
Mick F wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 11:32am Never seen a rat here in all our 26years at this address
Well ..........................

This morning, what did we see dead and stiff on the hearthrug in the kitchen?
Dead rat.

No doubt Nellie our cat (who is a renowned hunter-killer - but never birds, I might add) brought it in.
We ain't got a real clue where she caught it but she does have a rather large stamping ground. Dunno why she didn't eat it as she always eats what she catches. We only see the leftovers!

The tiles are 6" square ......... to give you a scale.
IMG_0814.jpg
Can I borrow your cat?

we have just had an outbreak of rats, in the garden in garage found one in the cupboard, eating my supply of poison for the traps. I left it to finish its last meal. Another one ate the bate, and died in the middle of the Garden before I could get my shovel to remove it 2 others were attacking that one. I think the problem is we are between houses that over feed the birds. I think we are coming to end maybe one or 2 left.
NUKe

Post by Hellhound »

Mick F wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 8:11pm Food waste?
Our Spaniel has the occasional roast dinner with us but that's it.My wife will not feed him scraps as she believes it encourages him to beg and also that 'human' food is bad for him :roll:
I don't know where she gets her ideas from as all our meals are home-made :shock: I suspect she's seen or heard it on TV relating to processed stuff.
I might be guilty of sharing my lunch with him when she's not there :wink:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

6.5_lives_left wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 9:28am I believe there is a Chinese saying that the only thing that is goes to waste with a pig is the squeal (implying of course that everything gets used). Doesn't seem to apply in Britain though.
That was a saying both in Britain and Germany too, I guess all pork-eating societies will have raised, butchered and eaten pigs in similar ways. Up until at least WW2 here it wasn't unusual for pigs to be raised in backyards; with feeding on scraps sometimes shared between the neighbours so they all benefited from the meat.

I simply can't imagine people (especially neighbours) putting up with that now, and it'd probably be against animal welfare and human health standards. And of course a huge amount of the meat is used in processed products you just don't see the manufacture of. My wife's grandfather made and ate pig brawn until he died (his mid-70s) - we just have got out of the habit and don't want to eat such produce anymore.

https://www.theoldie.co.uk/article/what-were-pig-clubs
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

6.5_lives_left wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 9:28am I believe there is a Chinese saying that the only thing that is goes to waste with a pig is the squeal (implying of course that everything gets used). Doesn't seem to apply in Britain though.
I've heard that phrase applied with respect to sausages - but I think lovers of that comestible would be only to glad to get more of the animal and less of the sawdust!

Actually, it's not true. They can't use the teeth: they have no nutritional value and are too hard to grind down. So it's 'every part of the pig except the squeak and the teeth'...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ben@Forest wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 10:48am
That was a saying both in Britain and Germany too, I guess all pork-eating societies will have raised, butchered and eaten pigs in similar ways. Up until at least WW2 here it wasn't unusual for pigs to be raised in backyards; with feeding on scraps sometimes shared between the neighbours so they all benefited from the meat.

I simply can't imagine people (especially neighbours) putting up with that now, and it'd probably be against animal welfare and human health standards. And of course a huge amount of the meat is used in processed products you just don't see the manufacture of. My wife's grandfather made and ate pig brawn until he died (his mid-70s) - we just have got out of the habit and don't want to eat such produce anymore.

https://www.theoldie.co.uk/article/what-were-pig-clubs
A Private Function was on broadcast TV last night.

My father was in a Christmas goose club in around 1943.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can you not use the teeth like you do with sharks' teeth?
Jewellery - necklaces and the like?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 9:38am Can you not use the teeth like you do with sharks' teeth?
Jewellery - necklaces and the like?
Pigs' teeth are very similar to human teeth. This sometimes causes problems in forensic pathology, and IIRC has been exploited in fiction.

Jonathan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 9:41am Pigs' teeth are very similar to human teeth. This sometimes causes problems in forensic pathology, and IIRC has been exploited in fiction.
I believe the pig's digestive system is very similar to that of humans. One of the reasons given why pig-meat is neither Halal nor Kosher is that the pig is not a ruminant - unlike cattle and sheep.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if I was given a pig's tooth as an implant. Luckily for me, most of my natural teeth are still in situ...