Facebook

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Facebook

Post by al_yrpal »

For me, the only good thing about Farcebook is the Marketplace. A great source of bargains as folk chuck useable stuff out.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not a member and have no plans to join, but a lot of places like pubs use it either to supplement the info on their website, or, increasingly instead of having a website.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 5:09pm I'm not a member and have no plans to join, but a lot of places like pubs use it either to supplement the info on their website, or, increasingly instead of having a website.
Yes. I wish they wouldn't.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Yes, I have recently become aware of this. I have searched for local tradesmen after being given their names as recommendation, then any link goes straight to Facebook. As I am not a member I can get virtually no further information.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A local pub - not our local but where we go most often for lunch - had a bit of a chequered history in that the licensee/ leaseholder sold up and retired. The new people eventually went bust and it shut for a few weeks. The law governing leases meant the owners pursued the retired licensee who had to come out of retirement - it's rumoured he was on a cruise - and reopen the pub. In the meantime, the website had gone down and searches redirected to an agency. A member of staff told me they had been quoted almost a grand to buy the name back and then there would be the continuing costs of getting some IT "expert" to design and maintain a website. It's a no brainer really
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 4:02pm
Maillot Rouge wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 3:06pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 10:53am

Except that they have a substantial profile of you and your habits through tracking pixels scattered across the web.
If you own a pc/laptop/mobile phone you’re tracked anyway.It makes no difference to me who knows what.
Unfortunately it does make a difference - you might not care about the advertisements, but the political pushing power that this information has is substantial.
Sorry I’m not sure I get your point.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 4:00pm
Hellhound wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 2:34pm I use FB and IG every day and I'm not 'young' :lol:
All our CC rides/socials/etc are now organised on FB.I really don't understand why people slate it.Don't like it,don't use it!
Did it bother me that it went down for a while?Not really these things happen it's just another communication tool.
You can't just not use it...
I don't actively use it, but I am aware of quite how much data they collect on every single person online.
There are also an increasing number of places where you can't deal with them in any way *other* than via FB.
There's nothing wrong with that IMO!
Works for me :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Technical question.

I don't have a FB account, though Mrs Mick has.
She uses FB Messenger as a preference to texting.

I joined Messenger on my old iPhone 5c and have the app on the phone.
When I use Messenger on my iPhone 6s, the app isn't there and won't download to it, so I go to App Store and click on "Open" and off I go.

Why can't I have the app on the phone?
It's there on the 5c, but not on the 6s.
Why?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 10:28am Technical question.

When I use Messenger on my iPhone 6s, the app isn't there and won't download to it, so I go to App Store and click on "Open" and off I go.

Why can't I have the app on the phone?
It's there on the 5c, but not on the 6s.
Why?
I don't understand what you're describing. When you go to the App Store on the 6s does it download and install the app?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 10:28am Technical question.

What Facebook account is it using?

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I have the App installed on XR(spare) my 12pro and my sons 11pro.I can log in on any.I went straight from a 5 to a 7 so no idea if the 6 has issues.Is the software up to date?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hellhound wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 12:04pm I have the App installed on XR(spare) my 12pro and my sons 11pro.I can log in on any.I went straight from a 5 to a 7 so no idea if the 6 has issues.Is the software up to date?
I don't expect this to be a problem with the iPhone 6s.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Been experimenting ............. using Mrs Mick F as a guinea pig. :D

No wiser in the slightest.

Installed the Messenger app on my MacBookAir.
That is there, in the applications folder, plain as day, and works.

Messenger app is NOT on my iPhone 6s and will NOT download as an app, but it reacts when a message is received, and if I reply when the notification shows, I can write a reply. If I leave it until the notification goes, I cannot reply unless I go to App Store and search for Messenger and then click Open.
If I didn't hear or see the notification, I would be non the wiser about an incoming message.

On the computer, if I quit Messenger (but keep the app in the Dock) and a message is received, nothing happens. No alerts, no nothing. However, my iPhone 6s notifies that there's a message ................... and I have to react to the notification before it disappears.

Maybe I should make Messenger on my MacBookAir a login option as I do with Mail. That way, it is always running.

This doesn't solve the iPhone 6s issue.

I repeat, no wiser in the slightest.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 2:44pmMessenger app is NOT on my iPhone 6s and will NOT download as an app, but it reacts when a message is received, and if I reply when the notification shows, I can write a reply.
Which app are you using when you reply?

Thanks

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Will the current scandal about Facebook being aware of the harms it is causing actually make any difference? Talk of forcing Facebook to sell-off Instagram and WhatsApp but many commentators think it wont happen. There have been lots of noise about Facebook's behaviour in the past (e.g. Cambridge Analytics) but nothing actually happens, nothing changes.

So I suspect in less than a few weeks Facebook will be back to Facebook as normal. Only encouraging aspect is massive numbers of people signing-up to Signal and Telegram. whether they will stick as users of alternatives is anybodies guess.

Ian