Facebook

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Facebook

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 10:47am Was pleased to see that the US Senate subcommittee treated Frances Haugen with respect and are promising that something will be done.
And Ireland's move on corporation tax might be another small step in the large number of measures that are needed to counter the behaviour of these giant companies.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, Signal is now the least worst.

I don't allow it access to my contacts. That requires a bit more hassle than if I did.

Jonathan
millimole

Post by millimole »

Jdsk wrote:Yes, Signal is now the least worst.

I don't allow it access to my contacts. That requires a bit more hassle than if I did.

Jonathan
On Android Signal integrates nicely with SMS as well, so only one app needed for texting & signalling (!)
Getting people to use Signal instead of WhatsApp is a different problem
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Just read about Signal - sounds good. Now starts the long, long journey of getting all my chums to use it...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

millimole wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 4:37pm
Jdsk wrote:Yes, Signal is now the least worst.

Jonathan
On Android Signal integrates nicely with SMS as well, so only one app needed for texting & signalling (!)
Getting people to use Signal instead of WhatsApp is a different problem
I found that if a contact was on both Signal and SMS. It wasn’t great when you wanted to send a SMS. It wanted to use Signal.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I'm interested - why would you choose SMS over Signal if both parties have both?
As I see it Signal is 'free' (using data) and has a receipt system. What's the advantage of SMS in this case? (there must be one)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I always regard it as that apps like WhatsApp/FB Messenger is not to allow you to text/talk/communicate with others. The purpose is to collect information about you and others. Messaging/communicating is just the bait to get you to give out that information (same as I use carrots in my rabbit trap - I'm not feeding the rabbits but catching them under "false pretences").

Ian
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

millimole wrote: 8 Oct 2021, 7:26am I'm interested - why would you choose SMS over Signal if both parties have both?
As I see it Signal is 'free' (using data) and has a receipt system. What's the advantage of SMS in this case? (there must be one)
Because I’m not always on data but still want to drop them a message.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I find telegram the best app for 5 reasons

1 if you want end to end encryption it's available but it's hell of a fast platform if not using it.

2 you can send very large files up to 1.5gb last time I looked

3 it doesn't clog up your phone with pictures and videos but you can still view them without downloading leaving it up to you if you want to download.

4 and the most important - it's not owned by Facebook

5 at the time I settled on it, it was the second most popular app after what'sapp.

It's got many other features that trump signal and for that matter what'sapp --

Facebook messenger is woeful so is not in the same class even if I'd want to have Facebook -- messenger is a clumsy and awkward thing to use.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I downloaded and installed telegram using a different sim in the phone so my contacts will never see I've joined telegram unless they have my other Sims number of course but I can see which of my contacts have joined -- some of which I can block if want to ensure I don't want to accidentally text (like the corporate boss for instance! -- I see he's joined)

The reason I did that was to preempt someone like Facebook buying it out and the problems that has like what happened to what'sapp. ( I had what'sapp long before it was owned by Facebook but ditched it when I found it was sharing / relating my contacts , used on what'sapp , with Facebook users )
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I see another whistleblower has come forward aith allegations of potential illegal behaviour.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sophie-zhang-facebook-whistleblower-frances-haugen-b1936825.html wrote:Sophie Zhang: Second Facebook whistleblower reports ‘potential criminal violations’ to authorities
Another Facebook whistleblower has come forward and said she is willing to testify before Congress about the social media giant.

A former data scientist for the company, Sophie Zhang, told CNN she felt like she had “blood on her hands” after working at Facebook and said she had passed on documentation about potential criminal violations to a US law enforcement agency.

She did not specify the information or which agency she had been in contact with.
Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Facebook has been fined £50.5 million for breaching an order imposed by the CMA during its investigation into Facebook’s purchase of Giphy.":
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma- ... der-breach

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Also
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/facebook-settlement-discrimination-lawsuit-b1941497.html wrote:Facebook agrees to settle US discrimination lawsuit by paying fine
Ian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

No social media app on your phone should be asking for a photograph of you to register -- this should raise alarm bells for anyone.

not even government correspondence would do that, or hasn't ever with me anyway. I think driving licence photo is only sent via email.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Well re-brand done and not going well. Various marketing and brand management critical of timing and how it was done but maybe significant issue
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/29/facebook-new-name-mocked-in-israel-it-sounds-like-the-hebrew-for-dead wrote:Grave error? Facebook’s new name Meta means dead in Hebrew
Facebook’s name change has been roundly mocked on social media, and perhaps nowhere more so than in Israel: Meta sounds like the Hebrew word for “dead”.

As images of Facebook’s name superimposed on a tombstone were shared online, Dr Nirit Weiss-Blatt, a tech expert, wrote in a tweet directed towards Facebook’s communications team: “In Hebrew, *Meta* means *Dead*.” The author of The Techlash and Tech Crisis Communication added: “The Jewish community will ridicule this name for years to come.” Meta sounds like the feminine form of the Hebrew word. ...
I remember years ago working for a them well known personal organiser company we were introducing a new model and last minute the name had to be changed as it was found in some language it meant "little prick".

Ian