Facebook

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Facebook

Post by Mick F »

Just another bit of detail whilst I'm thinking - scratching my bald head about this ............... :lol:

Messenger app is Messenger app.
It works on computers, tablets and phones.

It works on our old iPad, it works on the (modern) iPadAir, both our MacBookAirs, on Mrs Mick F's iPhone 6s and on my iPhone 6s too.

Except .................. the Messenger app won't upload to my iPhone 6s to show as an app ................... but does on ALL the other devices.

Hence scratching my head.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 3:12pmExcept .................. the Messenger app won't upload to my iPhone 6s to show as an app ................... but does on ALL the other devices.
See questions upthread.

What version of iOS do you have on the iPhone 6s? If it's ≥ 14 you can see the list of installed apps in the App Library. It might be worth checking.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 2:52pm Will the current scandal about Facebook being aware of the harms it is causing actually make any difference? Talk of forcing Facebook to sell-off Instagram and WhatsApp but many commentators think it wont happen. There have been lots of noise about Facebook's behaviour in the past (e.g. Cambridge Analytics) but nothing actually happens, nothing changes.
Yes, but not dramatically or quickly.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Been scratching and checking yet again.
I'm giving up.

The Messenger app works on my iPhone 6s and alerts when a message arrives.
It's shown when I look at stuff and is actually there and available. Can see it when looking and swiping ................... but it isn't there on the screen with all the other apps at all.

I give up.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 3:44pm Been scratching and checking yet again.
I'm giving up.

It's shown when I look at stuff and is actually there and available. Can see it when looking and swiping ................... but it isn't there on the screen with all the other apps at all.

I give up.
I think that it might be soluble if you could give us a bit more information. Relevant initial questions upthread.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 3:44pm Been scratching and checking yet again.
I'm giving up.

I give up.
Maybe start a separate thread for your technical support request as a discussion about the social impact of Facebook and Mick F can't find an installed app on his phone are really very different discussions.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Sorry. :oops:

As I said, I've given up.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Perhaps someone else would like to ask the same questions as I have... this might be very simple to solve and it would be helpful to Mick F.

Jonathan
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Was pleased to see that the US Senate subcommittee treated Frances Haugen with respect and are promising that something will be done. Hope the something doesn't involve dropping their pants and bending over so that the richest can shaft the world yet again.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Audax67 wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 10:47am Was pleased to see that the US Senate subcommittee treated Frances Haugen with respect and are promising that something will be done. Hope the something doesn't involve dropping their pants and bending over so that the richest can shaft the world yet again.
Maybe something will happen as Trump hates them (as he's been banned) so GOP would likely go along with anything that might be negative to Facebook.

I feel that the online Social Media has far more negative impacts than positive and as a society we'd be better off without them (at least in their current form). Their offering being determined by profits is unlikely to be in the interests of users (and society). Maybe if Zukiniberg got some interests outside money, maybe if he realised he could be a "bitching billionaire" and try building rockets to take him far away from us all.

Ian
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Spot on Psamathe :D . A very untrustworthy tool is the "Social Media", one gets cranks and nutters such as me on it! :wink: :lol: MM
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 11:33am I feel that the online Social Media has far more negative impacts than positive and as a society we'd be better off without them (at least in their current form). Their offering being determined by profits is unlikely to be in the interests of users (and society). Maybe if Zukiniberg got some interests outside money, maybe if he realised he could be a "bitching billionaire" and try building rockets to take him far away from us all.

Ian
Very much agree. Amongst other things they endow snotty adolescents with the power to harass anyone that annoys them. Not to mention driving their coevals to suicide.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

So, we all agree - four legs, good - something should be done! Question is what, and by whom and what then ?? (See too, Arab Spring...)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Well, I recently got so fed up with FB's bullshit that I took a month off, and my visits now amount to about 5 minutes per day. I'm also looking at Signal for messaging. https://signal.org/ Haven't quite screwed up the courage to give it access to all my contacts etc.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Audax67 wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 1:36pm Well, I recently got so fed up with FB's bullshit that I took a month off, and my visits now amount to about 5 minutes per day. I'm also looking at Signal for messaging. https://signal.org/ Haven't quite screwed up the courage to give it access to all my contacts etc.
I use Signal and have confidence in it's access to Contacts - I'm pretty over-paranoid about apps having access to anything but Signal do explicitly state what they do and don't do with contacts, how they identify other Signal users, etc. and it sounds OK and their source code is open to all (I have not gone through it but undoubtedly others have and no alarms sounding).

Calls seem fine within the UK but voice calls UK to France have proven unreliable on occasions (so switched to Facetime so not tested a great deal).

Ian