Right number of murders a year?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Right number of murders a year?

Post by thirdcrank »

mattheus wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 11:30am If you listed all the things we would LIKE our police to do, and then estimated the cost of doing them well, you'd need an enormous tax hike for everyone, and still not have any money for emptying the bins etc!
Many years ago, in the twilight of the Callaghan premiership, and with the talk of police strikes, the then Home Secretary, Merlyn Rees, set up a commission under Edmund Davies (patron saint of the police in E&W) to look into police pay. Apart from the huge hike in police pay, one thing that sticks in my mind was the report's list of duties performed by the police and "providers of social services in the last resort" was one. He was wrong in that the police are often the social services of first resort, bearing in mind the amount of social problems occurring outside the hours other professionals are available. FWIW, I get the impression that the people who don't work anti-social hours include a growing part of the police service.

Re huge hike in police pay, to declare my interest, Merlyn Rees tried to squirm out of meeting the recommended pay award but it was implemented in full by the Thatcher government and my pay doubled overnight.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 9:51am Apropos this case, I cannot see how anyone with any connection to the police, and most members of the general public would imagine that they could commit this crime and not be caught. There must have been some psychopathy at work that overcame the rational brain (sorry to sound so 'clinical' about something so awful)
Are ou saying he wanted to be caught?
Or that he is so delusional that he thought he was invincible?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Some people do have this thing of feeling invincible and therefore take unbelievable risks. Cabinet ministers and affairs/corruption. Bishops. Police chiefs drink driving. It is a known psychological/criminoligal characteristic such as neuroticism.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 8:11pm Some people do have this thing of feeling invincible and therefore take unbelievable risks. Cabinet ministers and affairs/corruption. Bishops. Police chiefs drink driving. It is a known psychological/criminoligal characteristic such as neuroticism.
Or in layman's terms,power gone to their head?
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 11:57am
mattheus wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 11:30am If you listed all the things we would LIKE our police to do, and then estimated the cost of doing them well, you'd need an enormous tax hike for everyone, and still not have any money for emptying the bins etc!
Many years ago, in the twilight of the Callaghan premiership, and with the talk of police strikes, the then Home Secretary, Merlyn Rees, set up a commission under Edmund Davies (patron saint of the police in E&W) to look into police pay. Apart from the huge hike in police pay, one thing that sticks in my mind was the report's list of duties performed by the police and "providers of social services in the last resort" was one. He was wrong in that the police are often the social services of first resort, bearing in mind the amount of social problems occurring outside the hours other professionals are available. FWIW, I get the impression that the people who don't work anti-social hours include a growing part of the police service.

Re huge hike in police pay, to declare my interest, Merlyn Rees tried to squirm out of meeting the recommended pay award but it was implemented in full by the Thatcher government and my pay doubled overnight.
Which may well explain police actions during the pit strike. They were hers, bought and paid for.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

An "acceptable" number of murders a year depends very much on whether you're looking at national statistics or the single murder of a friend/relative.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pretty much what I thought or knew already.
It's not rocket science that when you slash resources massively in the way they have been in the past decade police,police efficiency and effectiveness is reduced by the same amount or more due to low morale.

The Tories method and management of the country over the past decade has been crazy in the extreme with policing being just one area of the many areas they've failed the people of the UK.
The Tories trade on being the the thrifty party and careful with the economy,yet under their grand austerity plan(said to pull the country out of debt by 2014 was it?)borrowing went up as public and social services went down,in fact borrowing is now the highest sincemthe 1960's according to this graph:- https://www.statista.com/statistics/282 ... as-gdp-uk/

I'm no economist so I'd be happy for someone to tell me if I'm wrong.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Barrow fake police officer jailed for arrest attempt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-58829818

Presumably, so bizarre sort of copycat crime but it seems to have been through the system PDQ in the circumstances.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sarah Everard: Commissioner Philip Allott resigns

A police boss whose comments about the Sarah Everard case sparked outrage has resigned hours after a no-confidence vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-58915325