Can You Cook & When Did You Learn?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Can You Cook & When Did You Learn?

Post by 661-Pete »

merseymouth wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 7:58am But the real problem for me if I used Johnny as my role model would be keeping the monocle from falling in the G&T, something that happened to the late, great Patrick Moore when I was supping with him. But he simply hauled out on the string then sucked it clean :lol: :lol:
Was this you? :lol:
Patrick_and_LC.jpg
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Wow, I like it , but no. Patrick was a one off, no artificiality. I was at an astronomy course at Burton Manor, Patrick was covering the astral part and bob Turner was covering the solar stuff.
Brilliant to gaze through a telescope to inspect the sun, lots of activity with solar flares! With the right equipment it is brilliant, but cost of such gear is way beyond this poor pensioner's means.
But Patrick could simply look at an image of an eclipse and he could give you all the data, what a memory. MM
Last edited by merseymouth on 12 Oct 2021, 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

drossall wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 8:13pm

But for many of us it seems to take a certain level of confidence, first to follow a recipe, and later to start throwing in ingredients to see what happens. So sometimes a recipe by itself is not enough.
I guess I'm daft like that. I have built or learned from books many more substantial and consequential things than a meal.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

My brother suggests that Maggie Aderyn-Pocock is the new Patrick Moore.
Enthusiastic, fast talking, keen to share knowledge with the audience.
It is just that she is a different colour and a different sex!
Which might not please Patrick.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
drossall

Post by drossall »

Mike Sales wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 1:15pmI guess I'm daft like that. I have built or learned from books many more substantial and consequential things than a meal.
Agreed. But my observation is that cooking somehow seems to feel difficult without a certain level of having tried it before. There again, you could say that about mending a puncture :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

merseymouth wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 11:30am Wow, I like it , but no. Patrick was a on off, no artificiality. I was at an astronomy course at Burton Manor, Patrick was covering the astral part and bob Turner was covering the solar stuff.
Brilliant to gaze through a telescope to inspect the sun, lots of activity with solar flares! With the right equipment it is brilliant, but cost of such gear is way beyond this poor pensioner's means.
But Patrick could simply look at an image of an eclipse and he could give you all the data, what a memory. MM
In fact that's me behind the 'Lord Charles' photoshopping jobbie. And no I don't wear a monocle! A group of about a dozen of us went to visit Patrick at his home 'Farthings' in Selsey, in 2011, just a year before he died. Because Patrick needed to take a nap after the splendid buffet he'd provided for us, we all went outside to look through his telescopes. The seeing was perfect that night, and I saw my best ever view of Jupiter's GRS through his planetary Newtonian. I could also easily make out M33 through the bins - and that doesn't happen very often!

We were advised to each bring a bottle of wine as a prezzie for Sir Patrick, but with the specific instruction 'Not German!'. He never forgave the Germans for killing his sweetheart in a WW2 air raid. And he never looked at another woman after that - a bachelor to the end of his days.
Mike Sales wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 1:19pm It is just that she is a different colour and a different sex!
Which might not please Patrick.
It's true that he had his dark side. When he died a journo on the local Argus paper did a bit of a hatchet job on him. I felt that was not on, whatever the man's opinions.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again, Maggie has a fantastic voice & delivery, nothing like the stereotypical style attributed to folk of Afro - Caribbean background. She she deliver knowledge in a sincere way, nothing like the fake enthusiasm of many in TV land.
Astronomy has been lucky over the years, with a fair number of brilliant educators, not just presenters.
Only thing that worried me about Patrick was his way with his transport, both his bicycle and car were death-traps! TTFN MM
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

In case anyone doesn't know about Moore's "dark side"...

"Sir Patrick Moore: A great and bad man":
https://www.newstatesman.com/uncategori ... nd-bad-man

Jonathan