Windows 11

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Windows 11

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
What is it all about?
It's free to upgrade from 10.
Supposedly it's going to be simpler.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/394773/ ... stall.html
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 5 Oct 2021, 9:50am, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Re: Windows 11

Post by Jdsk »

Usual advice:

Back-up anything important, and decide in advance where you're going to get help if you need it.

Jonathan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_11
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I reckon my computer Windows 10, is not going to be good enough hardware wise for windows 11, I can check later with a small application to TEST suitability.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or find a decent OS... I jest, but only slightly. Windows is far better now than it was a decade ago, but it's still not the only choice out there.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 12:01pm Or find a decent OS... I jest, but only slightly. Windows is far better now than it was a decade ago, but it's still not the only choice out there.
But for a non-computer geek like myself and most users, what would you recommend?

in respect to the fact that if it's not your job that's computers et cetera, you're not being trained in it, and it's not one of your main hobbies, then do anything to do with computers mobile phones even setting up printers getting them to work wireless connections IT et cetera, is a steep learning curve.
and that's time consuming with little reward?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 12:36pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 12:01pm Or find a decent OS... I jest, but only slightly. Windows is far better now than it was a decade ago, but it's still not the only choice out there.
But for a non-computer geek like myself and most users, what would you recommend?
I'd recommend Apple hardware and software, including macOS. Especially if I was going to be providing the support.

As [XAP]Bob said, Windows is a lot easier to use than it was. But there's still a difference.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

One of the biggest problems of windows 10 is the fact that there's about 17 different ways to get to a setting. Storing work is really mixed up too. Everything to do with navigation to aid workflow needs fixed. Hope 11 is better in that respect.
I am here. Where are you?
rjb

Post by rjb »

When I went from Windows 8 to 10 it took me a whole day to get it to talk to my usb connected printer. Don't get me going about wireless which I gave up on. I will wait for others to do it first, and point out the pitfalls. :o
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Like I said I'm not a geek :P
but plus one to the two above.
I've been using computers for just about 20 years now and I don't pay anybody to do anything I just attempt to fix myself.

Give me Windows 2000 any day (that's just a desktop not necessarily network or Internet).
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Needs 4GB of RAM, so that's both of our old laptops out of the frame :roll:

Which is a shame, as replacing their HDDs with SSDs has given them a new lease of life :)
Last edited by squeaker on 20 Oct 2021, 12:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
"42"
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

It's not yet two years since I was bounced into buying this computer by the demise of Windows 7.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I've used a variety of other operating systems over the years George 3, VME, Xenix, Solaris, Red Hat, Dos, CPM and whatever they call the Apple OS. I'd choose Windows over any of them for a desktop.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 12:36pm Hi,

in respect to the fact that if it's not your job that's computers et cetera, you're not being trained in it, and it's not one of your main hobbies, then do anything to do with computers mobile phones even setting up printers getting them to work wireless connections IT et cetera, is a steep learning curve.
and that's time consuming with little reward?

Probably something like Linux Mint Cinnamon.
The GUI isn't too far removed from Windows 7, so it's all fairly familiar.

There should be no hassle with setting up wifi or printers or anything else, they should just be detected and work (assuming you know things like the WiFi passphrase).

You can even just play with it, without risking your existing windows installation, by using a spare USB stick (though be aware that performance will suffer when running from a USB stick):
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... /burn.html
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 2:16pm
I've used a variety of other operating systems over the years George 3, VME, Xenix, Solaris, Red Hat, Dos, CPM and whatever they call the Apple OS. I'd choose Windows over any of them for a desktop.
At the moment a computer is a tool, and provided by work, I therefore run MacOS - far superior to any version of windows I've ever used (pretty sure Microsoft peaked with Windows 2000). I do actually have to poke at windows systems, over Webex, Zoom, Teams etc - and consistently find the interface obtuse and difficult - even things like changing focus using the taskbar just doesn't consistently do what it should. Not an issue I ever had with Win7.

I have a tendency to run Debian (again, not cutting edge, but stable and reliable) with XFCE as a window manager (I don't do lots of development any more, so I don't need ion3) on personal desktop hardware.
Currently my home server is running unRaid, my vps is Debian.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 3:36pm
pete75 wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 2:16pm
At the moment a computer is a tool, and provided by work, I therefore run MacOS - far superior to any version of windows I've ever used (pretty sure Microsoft peaked with Windows 2000). I do actually have to poke at windows systems, over Webex, Zoom, Teams etc - and consistently find the interface obtuse and difficult - even things like changing focus using the taskbar just doesn't consistently do what it should. Not an issue I ever had with Win7.

I have a tendency to run Debian (again, not cutting edge, but stable and reliable) with XFCE as a window manager (I don't do lots of development any more, so I don't need ion3) on personal desktop hardware.
Currently my home server is running unRaid, my vps is Debian.
Well I don't find the interface difficult at all maybe because most of my time on computers has been working with a command line "interface". It's very easy in windows to call up Powershell and tell the thing exactly what you want to happen. Still I suppose Linux is the same and it's easy to break out into a shell which is what I'm used to - only rarely used a GUI version of Solaris or Redhat and then just because Oracle changed their installer to only run on GUI.

Have more affection for George 3 and VME than any other OS I've used but they were back in the days of mainframes and Cobol programming. Probably the best time to work in IT because the money was good and, because it was all seen as something of a black art, practitioners were respected.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker