Windows 11

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Windows 11

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Powershell has never really been in my arsenal - it didn't exist when I last did anything significant on windows.
I still view it as a poor relation to a proper shell (given that I do occasionally have to mess with it).

The fact that I can't reliably switch between windows on a remote session is a pain - do I click on the button, do I click on the little icons it pops up after, do I just hover over each...

Half the time it looks like it's switched and then I click on the window and it changes back to what I was looking at previously...

Frankly I'd rather a decent shell any day of the week, but too many things are tied to wimp interfaces now.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Interesting, but I think that much of that doesn't help with the question asked upthread:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 12:36pmBut for a non-computer geek like myself and most users, what would you recommend?
Jonathan
(And I remember the first day that we were allowed to use the VDU rather than submitting a stack of punched cards to the system operator)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well I worked on NC machines in my apprenticeship :)
As in CNC but without the C.
And yes they used punchcards, well on a roll anyway.
Look how far we've come.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hollerith
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Any pianola players here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_roll

i started with Fortran 4, wrote out the programme then the typists would produce the punched cards and run the programme giving us the paper printout with a bunch of cards. My first attempt at a programme was a bike gear calculator table. Happy days. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I've been using W11 for a few days now.
Download/install took a bit of time but apart from how it looks I've not noticed any real difference to W10.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 3:16pm Interesting, but I think that much of that doesn't help with the question asked upthread:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 12:36pmBut for a non-computer geek like myself and most users, what would you recommend?
Jonathan
(And I remember the first day that we were allowed to use the VDU rather than submitting a stack of punched cards to the system operator)
Good solid engineering those punch card machines. And those teletype machines (that even a poor typist could manage to press keys faster than it could respond to).

And my favourite editor in the world ever ... Teco, where edit commands were more cryptic than noise on a corrupt data line.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

rjb wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 8:27pm ....
i started with Fortran 4, wrote out the programme then the typists would produce the punched cards and run the programme giving us the paper printout with a bunch of cards. My first attempt at a programme was a bike gear calculator table. Happy days. :lol:
I confess I cant remember the versions of Fortran I used but I do remember the nuisance of indentation (col 1 non-bland means comment, cols 2-5 numeric label, col 6 non-blank=continuation line and col7-7? your code.

We used to have to type in our own cards.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Windows 11?
Is that all?

Just counted .............
We have nine plus a window each in the front and back doors ............... making eleven.
Count the outside buildings - two sheds with a window each - the workshop with two - and the summer house with five ...................... and we have Windows 20.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Have you got a license for all those windows. The window tax lnspector has you in his sights. Expect a letter anytime soon. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

Window Tax went somewhere back in the distant past methinks, but perhaps people with Windows11 need to add their their windows to it. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mick F wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 3:49pm Windows 11?
Is that all?

Just counted .............
We have nine plus a window each in the front and back doors ............... making eleven.
Count the outside buildings - two sheds with a window each - the workshop with two - and the summer house with five ...................... and we have Windows 20.
Bring back window tax all those mansions :mrgreen:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We're in a detached bungalow with quadruple aspect.
Band B for Council Tax. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Having windows is all very well but they do tend to be somewhat of a heat sink in colder months.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 12:36pm Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 12:01pm Or find a decent OS... I jest, but only slightly. Windows is far better now than it was a decade ago, but it's still not the only choice out there.
But for a non-computer geek like myself and most users, what would you recommend?

in respect to the fact that if it's not your job that's computers et cetera, you're not being trained in it, and it's not one of your main hobbies, then do anything to do with computers mobile phones even setting up printers getting them to work wireless connections IT et cetera, is a steep learning curve.
and that's time consuming with little reward?
Unbuntu has linux OS and has software but with a windows style front end for all the important stuff so spreadsheets documents presentations etc. not good for gaming as games are mainly windows based. its free upgrades, and it will run on PCs about five years older than the one where windows is creaking at the seams
NUKe

Post by simonineaston »

I visited an aircraft company in Filton, back in 199-something and they were using a tatty old BBC micro-computer to control the lathes that made parts for the Areobus wings. I think.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)