Name for residents of Wiltshire

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Name for residents of Wiltshire

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 10:10am Newcastle is Nyu-cass-el. Always was. With the emphasis on the second syllable. Anything else is a different place.
Yes, you've put it better than I did.
It's why I split Newcastle into New Castle.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Another one .......

Bristol is either Brissle or Bristow depending on which part of that fair city you come from.
My late brother-in-law was Bristol chap.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 2:36pm
Some of my relatives are from it and I think it's occasionally used and widely understood by its residents, although most associated with people from the Devizes/Trowbridge centre of the county than Swindonians or Wiltonians/Salisburgers (OK, I guessed the last one). There's the flattering explanation as given in Wikipedia and also an unflattering one without the smuggling reason. I believe it's also not welcomed by Robins fans because it used to be a nickname for some other now-smaller team.

I'd rate it as similar to "Yellowbellies", "Tractor Boys", "Tykes" and so on. It's widely-used but a bit slangy so not suitable for formal writing.
Thanks for going some way to answering my query. The inclusion of names associated with football supporters is interesting. eg I always took tyke = Yorkshireman yet somebody on here (glueman?) pointed out that Tykes also = supporters of Barnsley FC.

Old boys and rugby union types can be more posh eg (Old) Leodensians. "Loiners" are lower in the social scale although I only ever hear it as "Leeds loiner" perhaps because they assume it won't be understood otherwise

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... leodensian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

A couple of more general names.

Teuchter
Joskin

Which both mean something like yokel.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 10:16am
Oldjohnw wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 10:10am Newcastle is Nyu-cass-el. Always was. With the emphasis on the second syllable. Anything else is a different place.
Easy since I grew up there. Born in Northumberland, childhood in Northumberland, teens and early 20s Newcastle (apart from studying in Glasgow) then Northumberland up to 72.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 10:20am Another one .......

Bristol is either Brissle or Bristow depending on which part of that fair city you come from.
My late brother-in-law was Bristol chap.
It can also sound like "Brist-ohl" when said by someone with that Bristolian accent that makes many words gain an extra L on the end and completely confused me when someone asked for "a stroll ... a drinking stroll" (straw) when I worked in a cafe.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Splitting it doesn't do the required task of showing a long or short a. People who use a short a in "new castle" are likely to use a short a in "Newcastle".

Nyu-cass-el does.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

We are moving a bit off topic - isn't that what happens in a conversation - but I knew a man from near Darlington who used to add an 'H' when there wasn't one and drop an 'H' when there was. I never knew how he wrote these words.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 11:34am We are moving a bit off topic - isn't that what happens in a conversation - but I knew a man from near Darlington who used to add an 'H' when there wasn't one and drop an 'H' when there was.
Often occurs through hypercorrection:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection#H-adding

See (or hear) the Doolittles.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 11:33am
Splitting it doesn't do the required task of showing a long or short a. People who use a short a in "new castle" are likely to use a short a in "Newcastle".

Nyu-cass-el does.

Jonathan
I am so happy. I eventually got something right today.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 8:33am
al_yrpal wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 11:21pm My Moonraker is in its original 1980 colours. The last owners of our new house moved in in 1982. This is reflected in a lot of brown -woodwork, t and g ceilings, skirtings and various bits of woodwork. Its all getting painted white.

Al
Please, please don't change the colour of the camper. It's of it's time.
For certain that mix of colours will again be popular.
I had Raclet frame tent in those colours and loved it. :)
TENT! TENT!
Our livingroom was that colour in the '70's :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden