Are there any runners who can advise me?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
AlanD

Re: Are there any runners who can advise me?

Post by AlanD »

Well that brings me to the end of my first week on the c25k app. More about the running later, first, the footwear...

Very helpful and knowledgeable lady in Sports Direct, I asked for someone who was trained in advising on shoes.
The first thing she did was to look at the soles of my shoes, then she asked what my goals were and where I was running.
I tried loads of shoes to get the right size and 'feel'. Eventually settled on a pair of Adidas, when I ran up and down the shop in them, I knew these were the ones. And I was able to add cleaning/proofing stuff and socks and keep within the £100 budget.

So I went out in them today and very happy with them. But I'm not happy with my running style, or rather lack of! I stomp heavily, not glide smoothly. How do I stop doing that?

Big plus, after only 3 runs, I'm no longer staggering back, gasping for breath, and my knees are only complaining mildly.
I have the app on my phone, so I have the company of Sarah Millican to tell me when to run and when to walk. For music, I have Classic FM. What else could one possibly listen to...
Today's run started to the chords of Bach's Toccata & Fugue, Otherworldly! and so appropriate. I hope the Angels have it on their playlist. :D
The run ended to the sound of the Swan Lake finale; I can't decide whether it's 'victorious' or 'tortured'. :?

A rest day tomorrow, so I might go for a nice gentle bike ride (Who are you kidding Alan? When you're in that saddle, you go like the wind)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AlanD wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 6:52pm ..Basically, I want to know what is going on? Is this normal?
I would not say I am unfit for my age, I am in my mid 60’s.
My trainers are a worn pair of ‘sketchers’ that I got from TK Maxx.....

Can anyone please advise me? Thank you
Alan
Stop running,start brisk walking and buy some decent well fitting shoes and socks for the job!
Starting running in your 60's on old joints isn't a wise thing to do IMHO.

PS,I'm not a runner as it doesn't suit one bit and bpnever has done,but my two youngest daughters are marathon trail runners and my two eldest granddaughters are runners,we chat a bit about running
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Well it finally happened, I collided with a pedestrian!

I went out for a run early today and it coincided with the morning school migration.
Going along this path on my estate, I came across lots of youngsters walking the other way to school.
Having just weaved around one group, another came into sight ahead. They were all in single file and almost shoulder to shoulder across the entire width of the path from one side to the other.
There was a slightly wider gap between two youths in the middle of the group and in line with my path, so I stayed straight and aimed for it, continuing to jog slowly and attempting to make eye contact. One youngster responded and made some space.
The other just looked at me then moved into the space I was aiming for.
I changed my course to go through the gap that he left on his other side and then at the last moment, he changed back and I collided with him!
He maintained his balance, I lost my footing and nearly fell.
So there was this herd of teenagers gawping at me, they all looked brain dead.
"You alright?" I asked. I think he grunted.

Ok, so I have now learned not to take my run at this time, But there will always be people and they seem to meander aimlessly from side to side and just get in the way. Am I the only person on this planet that plans my route strategically, looking at where others are and anticipating where they will be?

I'd like to hear how others face this problem? Yes we all have a right to use the footpath and nobody has priority, but surely it's not to much to ask that others leave some space?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How do you think that the youngsters would tell that story?

Or an uninvolved passerby?

Thanks

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

AlanD wrote: I'd like to hear how others face this problem? Yes we all have a right to use the footpath and nobody has priority, but surely it's not to much to ask that others leave some space?
Simple, don’t go for runs at busy times in busy places.

Yes everyone leaving some space would be the ideal but the onus is surely on those travelling faster to look out for others.