Are there any runners who can advise me?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
AlanD

Are there any runners who can advise me?

Post by AlanD »

Are there any runners on this forum who can advise please?

My gym membership recently expired and so looking for an alternative. I was inspired by a younger relative who runs regularly and was in this year’s London Marathon, so I downloaded the ‘Couch to 5K’ App onto my phone and went out for a run two days ago. It was a gentle ease-in of alternate brisk walking for 90s and running for 60s, repeated several times over half an hour.

Now I can cycle and walk all day, but running always defeated me, always felt like different bits of my body were at war with each other, like an engine out of balance .

On this occasion, it was manageable; but I felt like there was a belt being tightened around my left hip, causing discomfort both on the outside and under the groin. My ankles were on fire and whilst running, each step jarred my feet even though I tried to run on the balls of my feet as advised. Since then, my right knee has been very painful and only now has begun to subside, I have been taking Ibuprofen for it.
The routine is to run on alternate days, well I think today is a goner...

Basically, I want to know what is going on? Is this normal?
I would not say I am unfit for my age, I am in my mid 60’s.
My trainers are a worn pair of ‘sketchers’ that I got from TK Maxx.

I don’t want to give up after the first attempt, I would like to work up to achieving a local 5k Park Run. So what am I doing wrong? I also took a look in a high street sports shop today, should I buy a pair of running trainers? If so, what should I look for? What should I pay, is more expensive better?

Can anyone please advise me? Thank you
Alan
rjb

Re: Are there any runners who can advise me?

Post by rjb »

I tried running at the start of this year as I needed to be near home to keep an eye on Swmbo following a spell in hospital. Having run marathons in the past (30 years ago) I thought it would be easy. I did a 1 mile route from home. Mix of running, Jogging. Walking. I tried to do 3 days in a row. By the 3rd day I had a very sore knee, couldn't run more than a few yards and was a wreck. Gave up and got back on the bike. I'm almost 3 score and ten but pretty fit from cycling almost every day.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Syd

Post by Syd »

The correct running shoes, for you, are the most important things you can spend money on.

Before you start down the trial and error route try and find somewhere near you that will do a gait analysis for you.

Once you have the right shoes a proper pre run stretch and warmup, even for short sessions, is advisable. You can find some tips of that on YouTube.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Frankly what is normal is different for everyone. I did more running than cycling in my early 20s to early 30s (though still cycled). I gave up after I suffered a left knee injury for the second time, though there was a good five years between the injuries. After that it was and is cycling only. I know that's not much help but at about 31/32 and ten years of running (including competitive running) my body was telling it had had enough.... but I bet I could have carried on running with more hurt, more clenching my teeth, worse results, as I went on.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I'm 60 now, I started running 5 or six years ago. Like you I started with couch to 5k. I struggled the first few weeks but now have completed almost 70 park runs in a respectable time and have done one 10k.

What you experienced is not usual and something is wrong. Like @syd said, the first thing to do is get a gait analysis and some decent running shoes.

Start your sessions with a 5 minute brisk walk and finish the same way.
Richard M
Cardiff
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I just did a search on 'gait analysis' and it does not look encouraging:
There's nobody within easy reach that does it.
And the shops that do all appear to have very expensive trainers. :o
I know that it's a false economy in trying to save money buying the cheap tools; but it's even more of a waste going all-in on something that may not last.

How much trust can I place on just buying something that feels comfortable? There's a 'Sports Direct' here.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

AlanD wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 7:57pm And the shops that do all appear to have very expensive trainers. :o
I know that it's a false economy in trying to save money buying the cheap tools; but it's even more of a waste going all-in on something that may not last.
What do you call expensive?
£100?
£150?
If you buy a good pair and don't keep up running you can just wear them as everyday trainers!
My wife wasted £300 on buying cheaper walking boots because she wouldn't take my advice and spend £120 on a good pair :roll:
She now owns the suggested pair and has done 100s of comfortable miles :wink:
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Certainly, if this is your main pursuit and you want to excel at it, then perhaps it would not be unreasonable to spend over £100 on a pair of footwear that will give you the best; I have got a lot of use out of my cycle shoes and hiking boots. However, in the current climate of more pressing priorities i.e. the threat of rising fuel and food costs, is it not a little excessive to spend such vast sums on something that I am not even sure I will or can pursue? Plus justifying it to ones other half…. It must be possible to try with what I have before committing.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Getting a gait analysis done is a little like (though nowhere as bad as) going to a timeshare presentation.

There is an expectation, on the part of the shop, that the customer will make a purchase but their is no absolute obligation to do so.

I myself have left on one occasion without making a purchase as the shoes they have in stock were in multicoloured styles that I didn’t want. I did, however, leave with the knowledge of what worked best for me and could then shop online for something that I’d actually wear.

There are a look so running expos starting up again and these give another opportunity to try out things in a less intense environment.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I'm a runner in her 60s with a knee problem (because I fell off a bike actually), and I run regularly road, trail, and canicross (insane running with your dog sport).
Doesn't matter what the couch to 5 k programme says you must do, do as much as you feel comfortable with, even if that means you take twice as long to do the programme.
Get some reasonable beginners trainers, Asics do some good good basic models, so do New Balance (other makes are available), you are not running much so until you do more don't spend a fortune (£50 max). Check on arch support though, and add in a better insole if you need it (though cheaper models often have insoles glued in). Some people are forefoot strikers, some are heel strikers, don't run in a style that doesn't suit your body. (For the record, I run in Altra provision for road and Inov8s for trail.)
Warm up and cool down, walking should warm up, but do more if you need it, and do the cool down stretches.
Do some strengthening exercises, the dreaded squats and lunges. I've started a women's weightlifting class and it's been great for strengthening and I'd say my running is much better as a result and my knee is definitely better. I swim also.
I'm doing 3 10ks over the next month, I don't do much longer distances, 15k is my max, though I am doing the Devils foot half next year. And I do parkrun regularly (with the dog, and without).
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Reading back on what I had written, I realise that I had fallen into the trap of 'scope creep', a common problem with forum discussions.
I had not intended this to be about how much I should spend on a pair of trainers, or anything else for that matter; although I do acknowledge that with anything, if it is not comfortable - I'm not going to continue using it...

No, this was really about why do I find running so difficult? To explain...
The school cross-country run was not my favourite activity, it left me gasping for breath, aching all over and usually walking back with a stitch; but I was no means the last back. The 100m sprint was ok, I was even entered into the long jump for the county school sports one year. I was just this skinny little kid that hated sports. Then I went on the 3rd year (that would be year 9) outward bound week in South Wales and I discovered I liked Rock Climbing. This was reinforced in my first job when we were sent for a week to Lake Windemere and I discovered mountains.
I joined a YHA local group and really got into walking, camping and climbing. It was then that I discovered cycling and bought my first bike for club weekends away. Happy days :D

However, as I got older, there was not really any need to run anywhere and when I tried, it hurt! I used the analogy of an engine out of balance ripping itself apart; when I run I can feel my hips and spine bouncing up and down sharply.
This morning, I went for my second c25k and have just got back. These Stitchers shoes are terrible. I would say that the pain sensation is a bit less than on the first run, which is a move in the right direction. I realise that I tend to run on the outside of my foot. I try to place each step with a rolling action on the ball, but it seems to turn into something akin an elephant stomping. There was the tightness around one hip, but it subsided. The knees are complaining a bit, we'll see what they are like tomorrow. Even though I went at a gentle jog, I finished with labouring breathing. Cycling fast is far easier!

Can anyone run, or is it that you have to have a certain body shape to be able to do it?
Syd, yes I appreciate your analogy about timeshares, The Wife and I got grabbed by the marketing people of the holiday resort we stayed at one year; getting a free drink wasn't worth it.
Thank you Elizabeth, for your comments, I had spent some time reading about choosing a pair of running shoes and plan to visit Sports Direct today, I will aim for something midrange in price.

I'll let you know how I get on after my 3rd run.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, I will admit that I find it very hard not being able to go for relaxing run, but after all of the internal cutting and shutting it would be injurious to me!
But as a former Harrier , duathlete and still, just about, a cyclist may I off my two penneth?
Syd is spot on about foot wear, I cringe when I see the "Pumps" the Boris sort of runs in, aghhhhhhhh. So many factors over shoe choice, weight, foot fall (check you normal foot wear to see heel wear)? Outer heel wear - pronating, inner heel wear - sub-pronating, middle heel wear -neutral strike.
Running shoes come strike specific, a good running gear shop should be able to show the options.
The weight of the runner is next, lightweight folk can employ simpler shoes, but if the pounds/kilos have snook on then a more supportive, cushioning will be needed.
Next the type of surface to be covered comes into play, I had a number of different types in use to cover fast 10k's, 1/2 marathons, marathons, cross-country and even fell running. The right choice of shoe helps minimize the risk of injury or worse.
But what might also be helpful, but potentially embarrassing is to get an experienced runner to run behind you so that your gait may be observed, helpful. I can recall numerous folk who I got in behind who made me deliberately speed up to pass them as their gait was hypnotic and distressing. Yes, I was a running snob.
Sadly, I might get labelled as a misogynist, but a fair number of the runners who I had to get away from were ladies, sorry. But to counter that argument, which was brought about by most of them never having their action evaluated, I must state that the best running action I ever followed was that of Ann Packer, Tokyo 1964 Gol Medallist. Mind you even in her middle years I couldn't stay in her wake, niffty lass!
So, think things through, spend wisely, shoes over shirt & shorts, start steady and progress sensibly. TTFN MM
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I agree with you on many points merseymouth.

Alan, running is not like cycling and swimming, it's much harder, and harder on your body, it really stresses the knees and hips. I stopped running when I broke my wrist last November, it surprised me how hard it was to get going again after a 3 month layoff (and lockdown) and it's taken me 6 months and a load of determination and discomfort to get back to speed (which is not fast, I'm not a club runner). So you are normal for a new runner.

Keep it up, let us know how you get on, and take it slow, and do some strengthening and stretching as well.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I got into running after watching participants running the marathon at the end of Ironman Majorca a number of years ago.

The thought I was left with was that “if those people [referring to the size and shape of some] can do it then so can I.

I’ve also seen people of all sizes, shapes and ages take part in Park Run.

A very high percentage of amateur runners will never be quick but kudos to them for doing it and achieving personal goals they may set themselves.

Running isn’t easy and I developed a few aches and pains when I started as my cycling body needed to develop different muscles for running. The biggest mistake I made was buying my first pair of shoes because I saw everyone else wearing them. I couldn’t walk for 4 days after my first 10k due to pain in my feet.

One I got a pair that suited me I could then build on that and, from being a non-runner in my very late 40’s, went from my first Parkrun to completing my first marathon 18 months later, comfortably beating my 4 hour target.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again, My worst running nightmare was not only painful, but quite comical in the aftermath?
I was quite regular runner, reasonably quick, hilly road 10 k in sub 37 minutes, 10 miles 2 seconds over the hour, 1 hr 14 m half-m. So seasoned.
So when I found that there was a 3 mile fell race starting and finishing at Keswick I knew it would fit in with a camping family break at Troutbeck. Half mile flat, half mile up, half mile down, up and down Latrigg, just the ticket.
Out to the base front 25%, on the climb up I improved to circa front 15%, descent was interesting but was certainly in the front 20 %, then I hit the turbo to make up a few places. Happy to be mixing it with some great fell runners such as Kenny Stuart and Pauline Howarth.
Two days later I went for a loosener up the Kirkstone Pass, easy distance from the campsite.
On reaching the pub at the top I turned about to return. That was when it got comical?
I found that my legs hurt so much I couldn't run down, but even worse I found that it was excruciating to even walk down??? I ended up having to walk down backwards :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Running quickly down-hill employs the muscles in a very different way.
As I regularly did lumpy 10k's 1/2 m's it was a revelation.
At Keswick one brave/silly young man occupied the services of the St John Ambulance personnel, as on his overly hasty descent he kept on loosing his footing, outcome was massive abrasions & cuts from heel to head, ouch. Cave TTFN MM