Messenger app

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Messenger app

Post by Mick F »

I interjected on the FaceBook thread with a Messenger question, so I thought I'd start a new one specifically for it.

1. Messenger works and is shown as an app on all our various devices except my iPhone 6s.
2. In order to bring up Messenger on my iPhone, I have to go to the App Store and click "Open".
3. After clicking Open, it works faultlessly.
4. If I close the app, it isn't on the screen like all the other apps are.
5. The app exists on my iPhone even though the screens don't show it, because if someone messages me, up it pops.
6. In Settings, the Messenger controls are there and they are set correctly.

Basically, I've given up playing with it, and unless someone comes up with an idea I haven't tried, I'll be dropping the whole subject.

Messenger works correctly on my old iPhone 5c and correctly on my MacBookAir ........ so to have it on my iPhone 6s would be just a luxury.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Re: Messenger app

Post by NUKe »

Is it hidden in one of the folders
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Forgot to mention .............. on the far right screen when you swipe, Messenger shows, and will open.
My main issue is that the app isn't on the screen with all the other apps.
If it was, it would be simple, but it's not.

It shows in the "Social" folder along with the phone and the text. But I don't have any folders set.
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Question, Do people actually use their mobile phone for the primary purpose - calling, and speaking to others? As someone who has hearing issues I do use texts, but all of the peripherals leave me totally bemused! Come back Busby! MM
PH

Post by PH »

merseymouth wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 9:31am Question, Do people actually use their mobile phone for the primary purpose - calling, and speaking to others?
Who says it's the primary purpose?
I take more photos with mine than calls, so that was higher on my list of priorities when choosing it, others may have different objectives, just because it's called a phone...
Back on topic, I don't know the answer but it isn't the phone model, messenger is fine on my 6s. If it's in a folder can you not move it? Maybe first to the tray then out again.
Last edited by PH on 7 Oct 2021, 9:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Actually, it appears that is the main use of smart mobile phones:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3068820/a-s ... fter%20all.

At least in the US
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mine is used for only a few purposes.
Mainly, making calls, texting and taking photographs.

Sometimes use Safari, and I have been know to post on here with it.
Once or twice used Apple Pay.
Ordered drinks and stuff at Wetherspoons with their app.
Look at files and documents on my other devices.
Look at my photo album.

There may be other things I do.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Why use Messenger? Whatsapp seems to be the goto method of communication. Free texts, free calls, free video calls...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorted it. :D

Swiping to the far right of the screen, you get the Applications Library.
In "Social" the phone, text, and Messenger are there.

Go to Settings/Home Screen and the option for Newly Downloaded Apps can be set to go to Home Screen or App Library Only. The default setting is for Home Screen and that is the way it always is and that is what happens with all the apps I download.

It suddenly struck me that if I held my finger on the Messenger logo, I might get to be able to move it.
What I got was a drop-down menu about what I wanted to do with it. I selected Home Screen ............ and now it's there like it should have been in the first place.

Why use Messenger?
Because that's what Mrs Mick F uses with her FaceBook friends. She (hopefully) will be off to Gambia in January doing her volunter work, and Messenger is the way we will communicate, as she'll be communicating with others.

Messenger also has free calls, free messages and free photos.
Only downside is that it's linked to FaceBook ............ so I've used a false name that only one or two select people know.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mick F wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 9:24am PS:
Forgot to mention .............. on the far right screen when you swipe, Messenger shows, and will open.
My main issue is that the app isn't on the screen with all the other apps.
If it was, it would be simple, but it's not.

It shows in the "Social" folder along with the phone and the text. But I don't have any folders set.
try this if not find a teenager and get them to set it up for you( thats what I normally do)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200290
NUKe

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 10:17amSwiping to the far right of the screen, you get the Applications Library.
In "Social" the phone, text, and Messenger are there.
As previously suggested:
Jdsk wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 3:18pm
Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 3:12pmExcept .................. the Messenger app won't upload to my iPhone 6s to show as an app ................... but does on ALL the other devices.
See questions upthread.

What version of iOS do you have on the iPhone 6s? If it's ≥ 14 you can see the list of installed apps in the App Library. It might be worth checking.
Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Who says it's the primary purpose?
"Smart phones" aren't telephones - they're pocket-sized computers that connect users in all sorts of ways... I recall with shame my first video call - my chum saying, "You're holding it to your ear, dummy - I know 'cos the screen's all pink!"
Oh Dear.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Why use Messenger?
Group think - if that's what your chums use, that's what you use... you can try asking all your chums to change the way they do things but it doesn't always go down too well. So, I have contacts who use WhatsApp, and contacts who use fb's Messenger and contacts who use sms, and contacts who just email... oh dear lord is this the future? If so, can I have the past again please??
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I use my smart phone for almost all calls now, plus a million other things. I have 4 WhatsApp groups: with wife, with son, with daughter, with them all.

I dumped Facebook just after Brexit. I do use Instagram. I am neither technophobe nor technophile. My phone and my iPad are tools.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I dumped Facebook just after Brexit
Well, of course, you didn't really - 'cos WhatsApp is owned by fb. You can't escape that easy !! :? see here if interested
S