Messenger app

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Messenger app

Post by Jdsk »

Signal is now the least worst solution.

And it certainly can be difficult to persuade WhatsApp users to migrate.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 10:22amWho has "private data" on a mobile phone?
Mick F wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 9:41am Once or twice used Apple Pay.
Does Apple Pay require private data on the 'phone?

Thanks

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

al_yrpal wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 10:10am Why use Messenger? Whatsapp seems to be the goto method of communication. Free texts, free calls, free video calls...
Al
....and also owned by Facebook :lol:
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Oldjohnw wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 1:45pm I use my smart phone for almost all calls now, plus a million other things. I have 4 WhatsApp groups: with wife, with son, with daughter, with them all.
I dumped Facebook just after Brexit. I do use Instagram. I am neither technophobe nor technophile. My phone and my iPad are tools.
Instagram and Whatsapp are both part of the Facebook group :wink: :roll:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NUKe wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 11:12am .......... find a teenager and get them to set it up for you( thats what I normally do)
Spot on! :D

What I didn't know, was that I needed to swipe all the way to the right, beyond the three pages of apps to show a page I'd never seen before. I never knew it existed. Found it by sort of accident.
Maybe there's more stuff and facilities and methods on the phone that I don't know anything about.

BTW, just updated the software to IOS 14.8 and it gives me the option (if I want) to upgrade to IOS 15 ......... a quick Google tells me all about it, but it all seems way over the top for a chap rapidly approaching three score years and ten. :wink:

Aimed at teenagers maybe?
Mick F. Cornwall
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Iphone apps will always download to the page with available space.In my case that is page 7.You can then move it to wherever you want.If you want all your apps on one page you can do so by grouping them in folders.
I have automatic updates.IOS 15.1 is showing as available but my phone states it's up to date with 14.8.I'll let it update to IOS15.1 when it's ready to!
Last edited by Hellhound on 7 Oct 2021, 4:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Free texts, free calls, free video calls...
Al
Old * maxim, oft repeated: if app is free, it's because you're the product... ie the info. the app provider gains from your own personal use of the app. is so valuable as to be marketable. Anyone who thinks these guys are dreaming up nice cosy little apps for us all to use for nothing-at-all and out of the kindness of their hearts is living in a fantasy world.
Innocents who shrug and say, "They're welcome to my data - if they're happy to sift thru my oh-so-dull life !!" have failed to make the link between what-we-do, who's watching and the increasing (and to some, perplexing) trend to control what we do next.
We are entering a world where they know what we do, and they know how to control us. Think Cummings and his Leave. campaign and then recall the [expletive deleted] mess we're in now!
* This is of course just our old friend, "No such thing as a free lunch." writ large.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Hellhound wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 4:00pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 1:45pm I use my smart phone for almost all calls now, plus a million other things. I have 4 WhatsApp groups: with wife, with son, with daughter, with them all.
I dumped Facebook just after Brexit. I do use Instagram. I am neither technophobe nor technophile. My phone and my iPad are tools.
Instagram and Whatsapp are both part of the Facebook group :wink: :roll:
I know. But, like I said, I dumped Facebook and use WhatsApp and Instagram.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 4:13pm
Free texts, free calls, free video calls...
Al
Old * maxim, oft repeated: if app is free, it's because you're the product... ie the info. the app provider gains from your own personal use of the app. is so valuable as to be marketable. Anyone who thinks these guys are dreaming up nice cosy little apps for us all to use for nothing-at-all and out of the kindness of their hearts is living in a fantasy world.
Innocents who shrug and say, "They're welcome to my data - if they're happy to sift thru my oh-so-dull life !!" have failed to make the link between what-we-do, who's watching and the increasing (and to some, perplexing) trend to control what we do next.
We are entering a world where they know what we do, and they know how to control us. Think Cummings and his Leave. campaign and then recall the [expletive deleted] mess we're in now!
* This is of course just our old friend, "No such thing as a free lunch." writ large.
+1

Though there are exceptions to free apps and you being the product e.g where the free version is a (very) limited functionality version and you then get the option for in-pp purchase to unlock features. Can give you an option to (limited) try before you buy - but often still making assumptions about how well the unlockable features will meet your needs. Sometimes the app is part of a subscription e.g. Microsoft Office or many Adobe apps again you get limited functionality and you then take out a subscription to get the real/full app.

However, often even paid-for apps will include some "tracking" even on iDevices e.g. how many people with iPhones have blocked data being send to app-measurement.com (operated by Google)? Plenty of reputable apps send data there.

Ian